Victorian independence - is it inevitable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Id call that nsw and vic having leaders that were too focussed on big businesses wishes and not enough on the lives of their constituents.

id go further and say a lot of that comes back to scummo pushing that line hard and refusing to support those two states to do the job properly - and actively undermining the idea that it could be done properly.
What are you talking about?

Did I say QLD's antics re AZ were divisive against Victoria? They were divisive, full stop.

But what is divisive vis a vis VIC and QLD is the fact that you and I won't be able to visit QLD any time soon. I'll be able to travel overseas but not to QLD. What do you call that?

Anastasia is wildly popular with her Qld "division" which kind of indicates it is not all that divisive. She and Qld'ers do not give a s**t about us visiting them. And the Qld premier is perfectly entitled to work in a silo. other than taking our money, why should they care about us visiting them?

We are not called the United States of Australia for a good reason.

My view is that we should do away with states and local councils and create provinces or counties a la UK. The problem with the current system is that there are too many egos

Whole pandemic has shown how much power the states have, made us more divided along state and political lines than ever before.

These things fuelled by social media ramping up over the last decade and being fuelled by outrage as it keeps people engaged on their platform.

When you have a premier who I won't name relentlessly and openly mocking his counterpart in NSW, you don't call that divisive? When you have the premier of QLD undermining what the Federal government and other states were saying about Astra Zeneca, you don't call that divisive?
The glass jaw on 'conservatives' is truly astonishing:

"I fear for Victoria and I worry about what their government may do. I hope we have demonstrated to other states it is possible to manage an outbreak and not shut down a city.” - But the Labor premiers are the only ones you mention apparently 'being divisive'. A really uniting comment from Gladys there

Anastasia is wildly popular with her Qld "division" which kind of indicates it is not all that divisive. She and Qld'ers do not give a sh*t about us visiting them. And the Qld premier is perfectly entitled to work in a silo. other than taking our money, why should they care about us visiting them?
Why do people feel entitled to travel wherever they choose, against the wishes of the local people, while potentially harboring a virus that could cause significant damage to those states? Truly bizarre how entitled some people are

Excellent point - but the UK went for the hardest possible Brexit (one that even Brexiteers thought was ludicrous and would never happen before the vote) ands broke away from the Customs Union and Single Market and various shared standards.

There's absolutely no need for Victoria to follow that extreme model. We'd have a Common Travel Area with NZ and Australia. It would make sense to harmonise stuff on product and food standards etc etc.

Don't forget Australia will need lots of stuff Victoria has.

Victoria is where Astra Zeneca is made and is where the mRNA boosters are made for example.

It is a great point you raise - we can learn from their errors. There's no reason we wouldn't maintain a customs unions with them.

Natioins like Norway do this with the EU now.

You're essentially describing a country though.

May as well push for more state autonomy and for NZ to enter the federation.

You're essentially describing a country though.

May as well push for more state autonomy and for NZ to enter the federation.

NZ isn't going to do that.

Why yes, yes I do

Oh, and the Dutch got here in the 1600's, I'm looking at wearing Clogs next year in recognition

A simplistic response.

Why does the idea of Victorian independence make you so visibly upset?

It is very obvious that the Australian power elite based in Sydney despise us.

A simplistic response.

How would Victoria’s economy work if we were independent? We are essentially a manufacturing state. Much of that would go if Victoria was independent.

A simplistic response.

Again, you completely misunderstand

It is abject stupidity that that I question

But one has to first realise they are stupid to get the point I guess, so I suspect you will just walk around bumping into walls a bit longer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whole pandemic has shown how much power the states have, made us more divided along state and political lines than ever before.

These things fuelled by social media ramping up over the last decade and being fuelled by outrage as it keeps people engaged on their platform.

Good post.

This is why the thread asks if Victorian independence is inevitable.

Very powerful forces have been unleashed in the last few years.

How would Victoria’s economy work if we were independent? We are essentially a manufacturing state. Much of that would go if Victoria was independent.

No we're not, it isn't 1990 anymore. We are a knowledge economy.

Victoria is the only place capable of making COVID vaccines in Australia for example, and is where the mRNA plants will be built.

Victoria is where the Doherty Institute (among many other world leading medical research institutes are located)

The rest of Australia is reliant on mining and tourism.

We have the actual industries required for the future.

No we're not, it isn't 1990 anymore. We are a knowledge economy.

Victoria is the only place capable of making COVID vaccines in Australia for example, and is where the mRNA plants will be built.

Victoria is where the Doherty Institute (among many other world leading medical research institutes are located)

The rest of Australia is reliant on mining and tourism.

We have the actual industries required for the future.
The Victoria economy generates an estimated $964.237 billion in output. The largest contributor to annual economic output in Victoria is Manufacturing, which represents 18.75 percent of total output.

The Victoria economy generates an estimated $964.237 billion in output. The largest contributor to annual economic output in Victoria is Manufacturing, which represents 18.75 percent of total output.

Where is that from (not disputing btw) because you can slice and dice these things many ways.

Cheers - I wonder if they include stuff like I mentioned above re vaccine manufacturing in there. That kind of high end stuff is what I'm talking about under a wider knowledge economy.

Our key export though is education.

Good post.

This is why the thread asks if Victorian independence is inevitable.

Very powerful forces have been unleashed in the last few years.
What about all the regional areas some of which would probably prefer to stay with Australia?
It would probably end up being the Independent State of Melbourne, Geelong and maybe Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back