Victorian independence - is it inevitable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, name them

The breaking up/away of large English speaking polities into previously existing structures for a start - such as in the UK and USA.

Next.

QLD has definitely become more socially progressive over time because 1) we don't have as much immigration from socially conservative nations as Sydney has had, 2) Brisbane has grown substantially relative to the regions and 3) because ALP state governments have held sway for almost all of the past 30 years. NSW doesn't seem to have undergone that transition to nearly the same degree.
I've always seen Qld as having a more country perspective. i.e. Their conservatism for the most part doesn't come from deep seated belief but just a lack of exposure and ignorance and they'll generally tolerate/accept more progressive ideas once they've had first hand experience.

Probably a better explanation is they are naturally conservative but they aren't regressive, change is accepted but isn't sought out.

Last edited:
I've always seen Qld as having a more country perspective. i.e. Their conservatism for the most part doesn't come from deep seated belief but just a lack of exposure and ignorance and they'll generally tolerate/accept more progressive ideas once they've had first hand experience.

Probably a better explanation is they are naturally conservative but they aren't regressive, change is accepted but isn't sort out.

I think that's a fair assessment.

It does explain why they're often reluctant to change governments at federal, state and even local level.

Probably a better explanation is they are naturally conservative but they aren't regressive, change is accepted but isn't sort out.
Regressive…totally repressive…Wendy is their middle name…scorcher..

Have you not observed the rather large political, cultural and economic shifts around the joint in the last five years say?
It would take some rather large political, cultural, and econominc shifts in Victoria to throw away over 100 years of unity.

Do you think you can name them? Make your case, instead of begging the question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the late 19th century it was “Marvellous Melbourne”, the jewel of the British Empire. Now it’s a second rate city filled with Buruli encrusted old people, a plague it cannot defeat, some of the ugliest women on the continent, sallow young men drained of vitality and hope, a Premier with relief teacher energy, constant roiling hard left and right protests, and even a guy in government named Weimar. What happened?

It would take some rather large political, cultural, and econominc shifts in Victoria to throw away over 100 years of unity.

Do you think you can name them? Make your case, instead of begging the question?

The Federal Government turning on the Victorian people in the middle of a global public health emergency to punish them for who they elected as Premier would be me the starting point.

Then the fact that Victoria is about to face carbon sanctions due the right wing population bubble in NSW/QLD voting in coal-owned governments

But does it apply to greater Brisbane in the same way it does to the rest of the state?

No, but even the rest of the state varies.

FNQ is probably less socially conservative than the Central Coast or the interior due to demographics (more Indigenous + fewer old people), but they don't seem as inclined to social progressivism as Brisbane does.

The Federal Government turning on the Victorian people in the middle of a global public health emergency to punish them for who they elected as Premier would be me the starting point.

Then the fact that Victoria is about to face carbon sanctions due the right wing population bubble in NSW/QLD voting in coal-owned governments
I'm not seeing profound cultural differences here, I'm not seeing actual economic differences or problems which would necessitate cessession, and I'm not really seeing much more than the state political shenanigans that have gone on since before fedaration.

You still haven't made your case. I'm actively all ears. My complaint with this thread has been that at no point have you attempted to reason or provide reasons why cessession is not only viable but desirable, let alone inevitable.

Because we’re one of the most important countries for critical minerals for renewable transition, which is why the US state department is collaborating with our government on a number of mining interests

And the US State Dept is on the EU Commission?

This graph from the comments was very interesting. The Republican state would be a lot poorer.

View attachment 1251340
The kind of sorting that would happen after a separation would be more important. A lot of California’s capital enterprise was established when it was strongly Republican. If they became wholly Democrat, with Democratic increases to taxes, etc, you’d likely see capital depart for more accomodating jurisdictions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back