Victorian independence - is it inevitable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Then he should stop whingeing about WA's GST share.

I'm astounded as to why the Sydney Libs that run the country think their continual attacks on WA are a good idea.

WA is what, three weeks behind the rest of the country on vacc rates? Have lived a basically normal life the whole time.

These idiots who gloated about their "gold standard" until it fell to crap now claim they are leading lololol

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

What I don't understand is how Victorians are the most vocal about climate change when they'll also be the least negatively impacted (relative to other states) and are also the worst polluters. I don't think anyone in Vic thinks our brown-coal fired plants have long left.

We've got huge water storage plus a desal plant as insurance.

We don't have large river systems (except along the Murray border) and not many people live in arid areas. Bushfires seem to be the real climate change problem for Vic, but that's just because we haven't cleared as much bush.

How is it that Victorians can see the folly of Qld who will be exposed to more cyclones, more flooding and a near-inability to get insurance, but Queenslanders can't?

What I don't understand is how Victorians are the most vocal about climate change when they'll also be the least negatively impacted (relative to other states) and are also the worst polluters. I don't think anyone in Vic thinks our brown-coal fired plants have long left.

We've got huge water storage plus a desal plant as insurance.

We don't have large river systems (except along the Murray border) and not many people live in arid areas. Bushfires seem to be the real climate change problem for Vic, but that's just because we haven't cleared as much bush.

How is it that Victorians can see the folly of Qld who will be exposed to more cyclones, more flooding and a near-inability to get insurance, but Queenslanders can't?

We know from lived experience that there's actually very few jobs in mining these days.

The NSW/Queensland based Coalition have also been very successful at making coal into a culture war issue.

Have you read Lech Blaine's most recent Quarterly Essay?

Very good (better than me lol) at explaining how coal has come to equal good blokes who watch State of Origin and have a jet ski in many seats up there.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
We know from lived experience that there's actually very few jobs in mining these days.

The NSW/Queensland based Coalition have also been very successful at making coal into a culture war issue.

Have you read Lech Blaine's most recent Quarterly Essay?

Very good (better than me lol) at explaining how coal has come to equal good blokes who watch State of Origin and have a jet ski in many seats up there.

And in Victoria, we can see as clear as day that anybody who owns a jetski is a complete w-nker. Perhaps independence is inevitable.

I think this is only true because the PM is so anti-Victorian. If Bill Shorten were PM, this wouldn't be the case.

Agree 1000000 per cent.

But Shorten ISN'T the PM, largely because Scotty ran as a coal loving NRL man and cleaned up in NSW and Queensland.

Now we've got Albo, the NRL man who is pretending to love coal.

The population bubble in NSW/Queensland means you win elections there alone.

The problem is not Federation, it's the criminality of the Federal Government.

Federation allows the criminality of the government.

They've worked out you can win in NSW and Queensland alone.

Albo will do the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Federal government treats Victoira with contempt.

They do not represent us.

Yep, Libs elected to represent Victoria in the Senate, and MPs their local communities, put partisan hmatred of Andrews above the needs of Victorians in a crisis.

Unforgiveable.

By either party.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Federation allows the criminality of the government.

They've worked out you can win in NSW and Queensland alone.

Albo will do the same.
Can you though?

I think there will be landslide losses in vic and wa …..sa who knows the state libs have done ok, but they did ok in wa last election.

Can they really afford to be slaughtered in 2 states and still win?

Ive long thought secession is a tool wa needs to use to get a decent deal out of canberra but theres a big part of me would actually go for a split along vic, sa, nt and tassie lines and let qld and nsw become a corrupt banana republic.

Weve had corruption but it tends to get found out and punished - i get the same sense out of vic and sa - qld and nsw revel in it like pigs wallowing in scomo.

Can you though?

I think there will be landslide losses in vic and wa …..sa who knows the state libs have done ok, but they did ok in wa last election.

Ive long thought secession is a tool wa needs to use to get a decent deal out of canberra but theres a big part of me would actually go for a split along vic, sa, nt and tassie lines and let qld and nsw become a corrupt banana republic.

Weve had corruption but it tends to get found out and punished - i get the same sense out of vic and sa - qld and nsw revel in it like pigs wallowing in scomo.

Great post.

Yeah, I think they'll hit the end of the line this time round, but could still do it,.

But NSW and Queensland will remain where elections are won and lost.

Hence why the oppositon leader plays up his Rabbitohs connections and goes soft on coal and every opportunity.

Lech Blaine's recent Quarterly Essay was fascinating on this - how "ScoMo" reinvented himself as a suburban rugba leeg Dad purely for this reason.

WA's problem is that it is far to geostrategically important to ever be allowed to leave the Commonwealth of Australia which is to all intensive purposes a province of the US empire these days.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What exactly do we get from staying part of this failed federation?

Given the vic labour government used to tear up fed infrastructure contracts could you blame them? I dont want the fed to give money to victoria for infrastructure if they are going to thow it away anyway.

victoria doesnt deserve it why they continue to vote andrews in.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Great post.

Yeah, I think they'll hit the end of the line this time round, but could still do it,.

But NSW and Queensland will remain where elections are won and lost.

Hence why the oppositon leader plays up his Rabbitohs connections and goes soft on coal and every opportunity.

Lech Blaine's recent Quarterly Essay was fascinating on this - how "ScoMo" reinvented himself as a suburban rugba leeg Dad purely for this reason.

WA's problem is that it is far to geostrategically important to ever be allowed to leave the Commonwealth of Australia which is to all intensive purposes a province of the US empire these days.
Has victoria closed down its brown coal power plants yet?

Given the vic labour government used to tear up fed infrastructure contracts could you blame them? I dont want the fed to give money to victoria for infrastructure if they are going to thow it away anyway.

victoria doesnt deserve it why they continue to vote andrews in.

so wait, victoria should only get federal funding if they vote liberal???

part of being a democracy is the voters get to choose who takes power, whether its a good choice or not

the notion you get to decide who victorians elect is straight out of HK

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
so wait, victoria should only get federal funding if they vote liberal???

part of being a democracy is the voters get to choose who takes power, whether its a good choice or not

the notion you get to decide who victorians elect is straight out of HK
ofcourse funding shouodnt be determined by which party is in power. But the vic gov cant expect federal infrastructure funding if they burn previous federal infrastructure funding and throw it up in smoke on a project that was already well underway before they came to power. Thats our tax money they threw away for party politics. How do we know they wont do it again?

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Can you though?

Tbh with what we’ve seen over the last two years the country would be better off going down a EU type setup & having 8 seperate countries. Our federal government has been reduced to being glorified tax collectors. And it’s a cost we don’t need. Why pay for all these politicians in Canberra when all they’ve done is abdicate responsibility to the states. As has been shown our state premiers have ran this country of ours.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Tbh with what we’ve seen over the last two years the country would be better off going down a EU type setup & having 8 seperate countries. Our federal government has been reduced to being glorified *tax collectors. And it’s a cost we don’t need. Why pay for all these politicians in Canberra when all they’ve done is abdicate responsibility to the states. As has been shown our state premiers have ran this country of ours.
*Tax collectors who refuse to collect tax from corporates

Ftfy

ofcourse funding shouodnt be determined by which party is in power. But the vic gov cant expect federal infrastructure funding if they burn previous federal infrastructure funding and throw it up in smoke on a project that was already well underway before they came to power. Thats our tax money they threw away for party politics. How do we know they wont do it again?

You said they should not get any funding as long as this party is in power. Thats restricting Victorians choice

Remember we pay 25% of the taxes, taxes you still want us to pay but not receive any benefit from.

Are you seriously pushing for the HK model where only liberal approved candidates can contest elections?

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
In all seriousness like I’ve said previously over the last 2 years it’s shown we don’t need to pay for a federal government, we don’t actually need it. Imo dissolve all of it. Money back to the states to spend on people. If we want to continue with a centralised gst that’s still fine. It just continues as is. Same with most of everything. It’s a cost this country doesn’t need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back