Local Victorian Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Venues and times for Round One of the rebel VFLW season have been locked in, with the season commencing this Saturday 12 February.

Four matches will take place on Saturday and a further two clashes on Sunday morning.

Casey Demons will kick off the season with a clash at Casey Fields. Also on Saturday, standalone clubs Darebin and Williamstown face off at La Trobe University, Western Bulldogs travel to Tullamarine to take on Essendon and Geelong welcomes Carlton to Wuarn Ponds.

On Sunday, North Melbourne hosts Hawthorn at Arden Street while 2021 minor premiers Collingwood meet the Southern Saints at Victoria Park.

VFLW 2022 ROUND ONE
Saturday 12 February

Casey Demons v Port Melbourne – Casey Fields, Cranbourne, 10:35am
Darebin v Williamstown – La Trobe University, Bundoora, 11:00am
Essendon v Western Bulldogs – The Hangar, Tullamarine, 12:30pm
Geelong v Carlton – Deakin University, Waurn Ponds, 2:00pm

Sunday 13 February
North Melbourne v Hawthorn – Arden St, North Melbourne, 9:30am
Collingwood v Southern Saints – Victoria Park, Abbotsford, 10:00am

Match ups for the full season were announced last week. Times and venues for matches beyond round one are to be confirmed.

Given the weekly changes to the AFLW fixture caused by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and with the VFLW and AFLW competitions closely linked through the competing clubs, it is necessary to wait to confirm the VFLW each week, once the AFLW fixture for that week is known.

In 2022 the premier women’s state league competition in Victoria will comprise a 14 round home-and-away fixture, before six teams contest a four-week finals series culminating in the VFLW Grand Final on the weekend of 2/3 July, pending any necessary changes to the fixture.

Entry to all rebel VFLW matches throughout the season is free.

For the first time, all VFLW matches throughout the season will be live streamed. More information on how to watch each game will be communicated in coming days, prior to Round One.

I am assuming 'rebel' is the sporting house brand and they are sponsoring the league but it certainly looks odd without a capital letter indicating its status as a proper noun and rather makes me think Kerry Packer has returned to usher in an alternate women's footy league to rival the current administration

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFNL or EFNL I reckon

Cheers I will find a few games to go watch mid season once the ladder has settled in top division. Apparently over 1,000 female football teams in Victoria now. Exciting times ahead.

As much as it's grown, I think some clubs are struggling a bit to fill teams/2nd teams - I know of a couple in my area who have dropped from 2 back to 1.

Potentially because there are so many options now, with most clubs having a women's program

Northern league women's fixtures out today - total teams have dropped.

Had a look at VAFA website - looks like they have dropped from 75 to 68 women's teams in total from 2022 to 2023.

Not totally sure what to make of it all, I think community footy across all age and gender is struggling a bit, but it's interesting.

Had a look at VAFA website - looks like they have dropped from 75 to 68 women's teams in total from 2022 to 2023.

Not totally sure what to make of it all, I think community footy across all age and gender is struggling a bit, but it's interesting.
The current economic climate most likely.

EFNL has increased from 34 to 42.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back