Local Victorian Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been try to track the changes as the VWFL dissolves into independent competitions, but it's been a tough challenge as most leagues are working from the ground up. Footy teams over history slowly grew one by one and competitions just formed around them. In this instance, however, a raft of teams already existed, and the competitions they had been a part of have been removed in their entirety.

Based on what's being released as news items around social media, here's what I've found so far. It's all still wishy-washy as entities jostle for the best fit in the womens footy landscape. There are probably a dozen or more new teams out there which I am not aware of. But here's my take on what I have read :

Sources: various club websites, club facebook pages, and general news items from online news sources. Especially the following articles :
[Southern FL website] [Eastern FL website] [Western Region FL website] [Northern FL website] (there's an article Dec 21 that won't link cos of reserved characters)
But also many more articles and news feeds.

Happy to take on more info from other contributors and develop a basic list of leagues and teams.

-------------------------

South-Eastern Competition - Southern FL & Eastern FL
Administrative Body - "South Eastern Womens Football Collective"
Formed between Southern FL, Eastern FL, AFL South East and AFL Yarra Ranges.

Intend for a 3-tiered divisional structure :
2 region-wide divisions for stronger teams (essentially the existing teams), under the guidance of AFL South East.
A third division spread over development competitions :
- 1 under the guidance of the Southern FL.
- 1 under the guidance of the Eastern FL in association with AFL Yarra Ranges.
- 1 under the guidance of AFL South East.

Teams associated with this venture include :
Existing teams : Mordialloc, Port Melbourne Colts, Endeavour Hills, Hallam, Chirnside Park, Bayswater, Knox, Whitehorse, Eastern Devils. Likely to start in the top division(s).
New/hopeful teams : Bentleigh, Cerberus, East Brighton, Heatherton, Highett, Lyndhurst, Mount Waverley, Murrumbeena, Oakleigh District, Saint Pauls, and "up to 10" teams from Eastern and Yarra Ranges area.
Existing teams intent on continuing or forming a development "2nds" team : Mordialloc, Port Melbourne Colts, Endeavour Hills.

What these teams were doing last year :
VFL : Eastern Devils, Knox
VWFL Premier : Eastern Devils 2nds, Port Melbourne Colts
VWFL Div 1 : Whitehorse, Endeavour Hills
VWFL Div 2 : Chirnside Park, Mordialloc
VWFL Div 3 : Bayswater
VWFL Development tier : Hallam, Knox 2nds, Endeavour Hills 2nds
Note : Port Colts had a 2nds team in 2015, but I can't find one for last year.

Scanning around town, the only other teams that I feel might have considered putting teams into this competition seem to be St Kilda and the MUGARs, who play in the VFL but have 2nds teams if not also 3rds. It must be remembered that the VAFA are steaming ahead with a large comp, and at least the Northern FL and the WRFL are looking at competitions of their own. MUGARs will probably go elsewhere, St Kilda might be a chance, though.
Searching further east and south for more teams, leads us to Gippsland, and to the Peninsula.
- Considering there were a number of Peninsula teams last year, but they aren't coming up in these articles, maybe the MPNFL is forming its own competition. BUT they are part of AFL South East, and their social media says nothing about anything special on the horizon. Very little from out that way, actually.
Seaford (VFL), 2nds (VWFL 2), 3rds (VWFL Dev); Cranbourne (VFL), 2nds (VWFL 2); Mornington (VWFL Dev); Rosebud (VWFL Dev); Edithvale-Aspendale (VWFL Dev); Mount Eliza (VWFL Dev)
- Gippsland had two teams that I know of, Gippsland and Warragul. Maybe they're looking at their own competition as well. AFL Gippsland online media is coy; it's basically "if you want to play footy, come talk to us"

So we might be looking at something like the following :

Division 1 (under guidance of AFL South East)
Existing - Mordialloc, Port Melbourne Colts, Endeavour Hills, Hallam, Chirnside Park, Bayswater, Knox, Whitehorse, Eastern Devils. (maybe 1 or 2 will go to Div 2)

Division 2 (under guidance of AFL South East)
Some teams from the above, maybe some teams from the below.

Development - Southern
Mordialloc 2nds, Port Melbourne Colts 2nds, Endeavour Hills 2nds, Bentleigh, Cerberus, East Brighton, Heatherton, Highett, Lyndhurst, Mount Waverley, Murrumbeena, Oakleigh District, Saint Pauls.
(some will probably go to Div 2. Some might go to Dev {3rd section} )

Development - Eastern & Yarra
10 New Teams attempting to form.
Maybe some 2nds teams from Chirnside Park, Whitehorse, Bayswater, Eastern Devils.

Development - (under guidance of AFL South East)
{Spillage from Southern, Eastern & Yarra dev comps}

http://sfnl.com.au/sfnl-joins-south-eastern-womens-football-collective/
http://efl.org.au/eastern-region-womens/

Northern FL Womens League
15 teams!
League says they are shooting for 3 divisions of womens footy this year.
Laurimar, Sunbury Lions, Montmorency, Darebin, Diamond Creek, Epping, Pascoe Vale, South Morang, West Preston-Lakeside, Officer, Kew (not VAFA?), La Trobe Uni (not VAFA?), Whitehorse (also tied to VAFA), Bendigo Thunder (senior team, Jrs will be in NVWFL), Deer Park (also listed with WRFL), MUGARS (also listed with WRFL), VU Western Spurs (also listed with WRFL)
Note - Northern FL seems to have claimed a number of teams that are also listed with other comps.

Western Region
22 teams but some might be only juniors
Includes existing teams : Deer Park (also listed with Northern FL), Glen Orden, Manor Lakes, Melton Centrals (also listed with Goldfields), MUGARs (also listed with Northern FL), VU Western Spurs (also listed with Northern FL)
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-25-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=52156314
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-25-0-0-0&sID=390856

VAFA
Premier Division
- AJAX, Brunswick Renegades, Fitzroy-ACU, SKOBs, 4 others determined after 3 rounds from the below.
4 Regional Divisions - 36 teams less 4 elevated to Premier, including Brunswick Renegades 2nds, Fitzroy-ACU 2nds, and from the following: St Marys-Salesian, West Brunswick, South Melbourne Districts, Old Mentonians, Ormond, Canterbury, Old Carey, Therry Penola, Yarra Valley OB, Hampton Rovers, Collegians, De La Salle, Ivanhoe (likely), Syndal-Tally Ho (attempting to form), Beaumaris?, Old Geelong?, Old Brighton?, Swinburne?, Monash Blues?, Bulleen-Templestowe?, PEGS?
Note: Kew & La Trobe Uni are listed on the Northern FL website's list of prospective teams.

AFL Goldfields WFL
Info grabbed from Sportstg clubs list- some seem to be junior-age only:
Senior Teams: Bacchus Marsh, Gisborne, North Geelong, Sunbury Kangaroos, Carisbrook Lions, Drysdale, East Point, Lake Wendouree
Probably Senior: Ballarat, Melton Centrals (also listed with WRFL), Melton, Redan
No Idea If Junior Or Senior: Creswick, Darley, Melton South, North Ballarat, Rupertswood
Junior Teams: Diggers Rest, Hepburn-Daylesford
Probably/Maybe not Goldfields: Sunbury Lions (sounds more likely Essendon DFL), Melton Centrals (see above), Ararat, Stawell (both putting youth teams in a Wimmera-Western District collab.

Essendon DFL
EDFL wanted to build a comp back in Oct '16
Sunbury Lions mentioned.

Geelong
Geelong district are talking about continuing with restricted-age competition until probably next year.
North Geelong ended up in the VFL Womens comp last season. Talk this season is of them playing in Goldfields (maybe their 2nds?) Drysdale is also forming a team but going to Goldfields.

Northern Victoria WFL (provisional league name)
Teams provisionally accepted according to the Bendigo Addy are:
Benalla, Bendigo Thunder Jrs (Snrs will be in Northern FL?), Echuca, Kerang, Kyneton, Mooroopna, North Bendigo, Shepparton

North-Eastern Vic
U18s competition only at this point. Benalla to compete in NWFL.
Existing: Lavington Panthers, Wodonga Raiders, Alpine Lions, Murray Felines.
New: Thurgoona Bulldogs, Yarrawonga Pigeons

Gippsland
Previous: Teams from the district had included: Gippsland (Gippsland league rep team that competed in VWFL Dev Divs), Warragul (pegged to move to a non-development comp eg maybe South-East.
Intent to create a single open-age, development level competition and three junior comps separated by geography.
Open-Age competition
Just one club mentioned so far: Morwell East.

Wimmera & Western District
Looks like a youth comp with Ararat, Stawell, Horsham (2), Portland, Hamilton, Warrnambool (maybe 2?, one might be South Warrnambool) for 2017.

Sunraysia
A four team AFL 9s comp was operating last year. Possibly expanding to 6 teams in 2017.

Other teams on the go, affiliation not yet clear :
- Officer - if they get up would probably end up in South-East (or MPFL if a separate comp forms there) or maybe Gippsland if a comp forms.
- Glenroy (existing) - probably go to Northern as the previous div was WRFL-EDFL combined and WRFL have gone their own way.
- Jacana (existing) - probably go to Northern as the previous div was WRFL-EDFL combined and WRFL have gone their own way.

Not all intended new teams will get up, but I'm guessing a lot will, and others not mentioned above, will as well.

If anyone knows something more, or sees something incorrect above, I'd love to hear about it!

Last edited:

I've been try to track the changes as the VWFL dissolves into independent competitions, but it's been a tough challenge as most leagues are working from the ground up. Footy teams over history slowly grew one by one and competitions just formed around them. In this instance, however, a raft of teams already existed, and the competitions they had been a part of have been removed in their entirety.

Based on what's being released as news items around social media, here's what I've found so far. It's all still wishy-washy as entities jostle for the best fit in the womens footy landscape.

There are probably a dozen or more new teams out there which I am not aware of. But here's my take on what I have read :

Sources: various club websites, club facebook pages, and general news items from online news sources.
Especially the following articles :
Southern FL website
Eastern FL website
Western Region FL website
Northern FL website (there's an article Dec 21 that won't link cos of reserved characters)

Happy to take on more info from other contributors and develop a basic list of leagues and teams.

2 region-wide divisions for stronger teams (essentially the existing teams), under the guidance of AFL South East.

Existing teams : Mordialloc, Port Melbourne Colts, Endeavour Hills, Hallam, Chirnside Park, Bayswater, Knox, Whitehorse, Eastern Devils. Likely to start in the top division(s).
New/hopeful teams : Bentleigh, Cerberus, East Brighton, Heatherton, Highett, Lyndhurst, Mount Waverley, Murrumbeena, Oakleigh District, Saint Pauls, and "up to 10" teams from Eastern and Yarra Ranges area.
Existing teams intent on continuing or forming a development "2nds" team : Mordialloc, Port Melbourne Colts, Endeavour Hills.

Scanning around town, the only other teams that I feel might have considered putting teams into this competition seem to be St Kilda and the MUGARs, who play in the VFL but have 2nds teams if not also 3rds. It must be remembered that the VAFA are steaming ahead with a large comp, and at least the Northern FL and the WRFL are looking at competitions of their own. MUGARs will probably go elsewhere, St Kilda might be a chance, though.
Searching further east and south for more teams, leads us to Gippsland, and to the Peninsula.
- Considering there were a number of Peninsula teams last year, but they aren't coming up in these articles, maybe the MPNFL is forming its own competition. BUT they are part of AFL South East, and their social media says nothing about anything special on the horizon. Very little from out that way, actually.
Seaford (VFL), 2nds (VWFL 2), 3rds (VWFL Dev); Cranbourne (VFL), 2nds (VWFL 2); Mornington (VWFL Dev); Rosebud (VWFL Dev); Edithvale-Aspendale (VWFL Dev); Mount Eliza (VWFL Dev)
- Gippsland had two teams that I know of, Gippsland and Warragul. Maybe they're looking at their own competition as well. AFL Gippsland online media is coy; it's basically "if you want to play footy, come talk to us"

Divisions 1 & 2 (under guidance of AFL South East)
----------
Existing - Mordialloc, Port Melbourne Colts, Endeavour Hills, Hallam, Chirnside Park, Bayswater, Knox, Whitehorse, Eastern Devils. (maybe 1 or 2 will go to Div 2)

Development - Southern
----------
Mordialloc 2nds, Port Melbourne Colts 2nds, Endeavour Hills 2nds, Bentleigh, Cerberus, East Brighton, Heatherton, Highett, Lyndhurst, Mount Waverley, Murrumbeena, Oakleigh District, Saint Pauls.

----------
Maybe some 2nds teams from Chirnside Park, Whitehorse, Bayswater, Eastern Devils.

----------

15 teams!
- Laurimar
- Sunbury Lions
- Montmorency
- Darebin
- Diamond Creek
- Epping
- Pascoe Vale
- South Morang
- West Preston-Lakeside
- Officer,
- Kew (not VAFA?)
- La Trobe Uni (not VAFA?)
- Whitehorse (also tied to VAFA)
- Bendigo Thunder (but probably leaving for Bendigo/Goulburn league)
- Deer Park (also listed with WRFL)
- MUGARS (also listed with WRFL)
- VU Western Spurs (also listed with WRFL)
Note - Northern FL seems to have claimed a number of teams that are also listed with other comps.

Western Region
Includes existing teams :
- Deer Park (also listed with Northern FL)
- Glen Orden
- Manor Lakes
- Melton Centrals
- MUGARs (also listed with Northern FL)
- VU Western Spurs (also listed with Northern FL)
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-25-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=52156314

VAFA
- Fitzroy x 2
- SKOBs
- St Marys-Salesian
- Brunswick x 2
- AJAX
- South Melbourne Districts
- Old Mentonians
- Ormond
- Canterbury
- Old Carey
- Therry Penola
- Yarra Valley OB
- Hampton Rovers
- Collegians
- Syndal-Tally Ho (attempting to form)
- Beaumaris?
- Old Geelong?
- Old Brighton?
- Swinburne?
- Monash Blues?
- Bulleen-Templestowe?
{seems there are a few more that I havent come across yet}
Kew & La Trobe Uni are listed on the Northern FL website's list of prospective teams.

Ballarat (ex-Goldfields Dev Div)
- MCDFL
- Redan
- Bacchus Marsh
- East Point
- Lake Wendouree
Haven't sourced any new info yet, this is just based on last year. Maybe Horsham would like a field trip every fortnight?

Geelong
dunno yet, there was at least one club on the move
North Geelong ended up in the VFL Womens como

Bendigo & Goulburn Valley
- Kyneton
- Shepparton
- Benalla (looking to recruit at the moment)
- Bendigo Thunder? (also tied to Northern FL)
- Echuca? (word of their keenness was out a while back)
There is a strong junior comp in Bendigo and some clubs are looking closely at fielding senior teams.
The early reports from the body setting these wheels in motion said they wouldn't care if there were only 4 teams.

Gippsland?
dunno yet - existing clubs in the region include :
- Gippsland (Gippsland league rep team that competed in VWFL Dev Divs)
- Warragul.

- Officer - if they get up would probably end up in South-East (or MPFL if a separate comp forms there) or maybe Gippsland if a comp forms.
- Glenroy (existing) - probably go to Northern as the previous div was WRFL-EDFL combined and WRFL have gone their own way.
- Jacana (existing) - probably go to Northern as the previous div was WRFL-EDFL combined and WRFL have gone their own way.
- Horsham (dont really have a comp to participate in, they were forming a team a while ago)

Not all intended new teams will get up, but I'm guessing a lot will, and others not mentioned above, will as well.

If anyone knows something more, or sees something incorrect above, I'd love to hear about it!

Incredible amount of new teams, i must admit i am totally surprised at the growing momentum that seems to be taking place.

Incredible amount of new teams, i must admit i am totally surprised at the growing momentum that seems to be taking place.
The VAFA will be at the vanguard of creating the most new women's teams in Melb. It is the biggest senior Melb. league with 12,000 male players, this being greater than any of the other 8 Melb. based senior leagues; & it has unparalled connections in the private school system & Tertiary institutions.

The VAFA is pushing female football very hard -& promoting its "superior culture" to attract women.

Last edited:

Based on what's being released as news items around social media, here's what I've found so far. It's all still wishy-washy as entities jostle for the best fit in the womens footy landscape.

There are probably a dozen or more new teams out there which I am not aware of. But here's my take on what I have read :

Sources: various club websites, club facebook pages, and general news items from online news sources.
Especially the following articles :
Southern FL website
Eastern FL website
Western Region FL website
Northern FL website (there's an article Dec 21 that won't link cos of reserved characters)

Divisions 1 & 2 (under guidance of AFL South East)
----------

Development - Southern
----------

----------

----------

15 teams!
- Laurimar
- Sunbury Lions
- Montmorency
- Darebin
- Diamond Creek
- Epping
- Pascoe Vale
- South Morang
- West Preston-Lakeside
- Officer,
- Kew (not VAFA?)
- La Trobe Uni (not VAFA?)
- Whitehorse (also tied to VAFA)
- Bendigo Thunder (but probably leaving for Bendigo/Goulburn league)
- Deer Park (also listed with WRFL)
- MUGARS (also listed with WRFL)
- VU Western Spurs (also listed with WRFL)

Western Region
Includes existing teams :
- Deer Park (also listed with Northern FL)
- Glen Orden
- Manor Lakes
- Melton Centrals
- MUGARs (also listed with Northern FL)
- VU Western Spurs (also listed with Northern FL)

VAFA
- Fitzroy x 2
- SKOBs
- St Marys-Salesian
- Brunswick x 2
- AJAX
- South Melbourne Districts
- Old Mentonians
- Ormond
- Canterbury
- Old Carey
- Therry Penola
- Yarra Valley OB
- Hampton Rovers
- Collegians
- Syndal-Tally Ho (attempting to form)
- Beaumaris?
- Old Geelong?
- Old Brighton?
- Swinburne?
- Monash Blues?
- Bulleen-Templestowe?
{seems there are a few more that I havent come across yet}
Kew & La Trobe Uni are listed on the Northern FL website's list of prospective teams.

Ballarat (ex-Goldfields Dev Div)
- MCDFL
- Redan
- Bacchus Marsh
- East Point
- Lake Wendouree
Haven't sourced any new info yet, this is just based on last year. Maybe Horsham would like a field trip every fortnight?

Geelong
dunno yet, there was at least one club on the move
North Geelong ended up in the VFL Womens como

Bendigo & Goulburn Valley
- Kyneton
- Shepparton
- Benalla (looking to recruit at the moment)
- Bendigo Thunder? (also tied to Northern FL)
- Echuca
There is a strong junior comp in Bendigo and some clubs are looking closely at fielding senior teams.
The early reports from the body setting these wheels in motion said they wouldn't care if there were only 4 teams.

Gippsland?
dunno yet - existing clubs in the region include :
- Gippsland (Gippsland league rep team that competed in VWFL Dev Divs)
- Warragul.

- Horsham (dont really have a comp to participate in, they were forming a team a while ago)

How many teams are there now in Victoria based on your research

That's a big question. Might take a little tallying :D
There were about 72 adult female teams (not clubs) in Vic. in 2016. Some clubs had more than 1 eg melb Uni. had about 6.
Clubs have advised they hope to create an additional 50 new, ADDITIONAL women's (adult) teams in 2017 ie could go to 122. Some of these almost certainly find they aren't able to obtain sufficient new players -thus, fewer new teams will be formed.
I love your work Mobben. -& your history footy club website, footypedia.com.
I know you like clarity. Fitzroy women's team is called Fitzroy ACU; they are hopeful of churning out more teams in the next few years (Australian Catholic University has an above average number of female students)

How many teams are there now in Victoria based on your research

This was female clubs and participants in victoria according to the AFL last year.

2016Female_vic.png

If that's the case there is a figure being quoted of 380000 registered female players in Australia on Wiki, it would have to be miles out

the figure should reflect "participants" not registed club players.

Female participation

• Total female participation - 380,041 (up 19%)
• Female community club teams - 983 (up 56%)
• No. of girls playing NAB AFL Auskick - 53,409 (up 21%)
• Females now account for 27% of all participants

ref: http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=3243

A 56 per cent increase in female community club teams boosted the total female participation by 19 per cent to 380,041.

Overall participation across all levels of the game jumped 12.5 per cent to a record 1,404,176.

In announcing these figures, AFL general manager of game and market development Simon Lethlean revealed that 354 new women’s and youth girls’ community clubs had been established, for an overall tally of 983 clubs.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-22/womens-football-explosion-results-in-record-participation

There were about 72 adult female teams (not clubs) in Vic. in 2016. Some clubs had more than 1 eg melb Uni. had about 6.
Clubs have advised they hope to create an additional 50 new, ADDITIONAL women's (adult) teams in 2017 ie could go to 122. Some of these almost certainly find they aren't able to obtain sufficient new players -thus, fewer new teams will be formed.
I love your work Mobben. -& your history footy club website, footypedia.com.
I know you like clarity. Fitzroy women's team is called Fitzroy ACU; they are hopeful of churning out more teams in the next few years (Australian Catholic University has an above average number of female students)
Am I still listing them as just Fitzroy? I need to fix that. (It's the team I follow, after all haha).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the figure should reflect "participants" not registed club players.

Female participation

• Total female participation - 380,041 (up 19%)
• Female community club teams - 983 (up 56%)
• No. of girls playing NAB AFL Auskick - 53,409 (up 21%)
• Females now account for 27% of all participants

ref: http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=3243

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-22/womens-football-explosion-results-in-record-participation

That makes no sense your last reply states 9354 participants in Victoria you would think that would be clearly the biggest state so wandering where the other 370,000 are participating

That makes no sense your last reply states 9354 participants in Victoria you would think that would be clearly the biggest state so wandering where the other 370,000 are participating

980 teams I reckon implies about 25,000 club registered players....53,000 aus kick (some school run and some club run), school competitions, AFL 9s...but perhaps half would be "promotional"

The AFL Victoria stats specifically refer to "club" participants. This is not a general participation figure - AFL Victoria indeed does not give a female participation figure, whereas AFL Queensland does cite more than 81,000 female participants . Whereas the AFL is providing a general participation figure but not an actual "club participants" figure.

The AFL Victoria stats specifically refer to "club" participants. This is not a general participation figure - AFL Victoria indeed does not give a female participation figure, whereas AFL Queensland does cite more than 81,000 female participants . Whereas the AFL is providing a general participation figure but not an actual "club participants" figure.

What other teams are there besides club teams in Victoria

I am guessing there can be confusion between open-age and junior teams. Fitzroy Juniors have 2133781283893718313 teams, of which 34747823884 are girls teams. (numbers may be estimated or keyboard tourettes-inspired)

Fitzroy have always been a big club.

What other teams are there besides club teams in Victoria
There are huge numbers of girls playing primary & secondary school AF -these are not included in "Club" participants. Neither are the huge numbers of girls who are Auskick members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back