Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Booted up Steam...$100 for the new Civ? What the hell? Booted up the previous Civ and enjoyed that the same I would with the new one, for $100 less cost.

The new one is so much better.

It was 48US on Green Man Gaming all week. Gotta look for the deals.

I couldn't believe how long I had to wait for Kart - they totally shot themselves in the foot with the WiiU and it is seriously amazing hardware.

I'm a massive Nintendo fanboy and their games are just about flawless ... but their marketing ideas have been odd over the years.

The Gamecube was also a seriously amazing piece of gear for the time and it flopped majorly.

Yeah, their marketing strategies in recent years has been strange to say the least.

I think the Gamecube was a victim of a few things, mostly it's time of release and the choice to go with that unique disc format. Releasing it in the US a month after GTA 3 and same time as Metal Gear Solid 2 on Playstation 2 and a few days after X-Box launched with a huge marketing blitz and their own killer app in Halo, without their own real killer app or even a Mario game (not counting Luigi's Mansion) really hurt them. Throw in that anyone debating whether to buy one or the other would be able to use the other two consoles as a DVD player and I think they were doomed from the start. Pity, it did end up having a pretty decent library, including one of the best games of all time in RE 4, though most of the people that played that probably played it on another console.

Yeah, their marketing strategies in recent years has been strange to say the least.

I think the Gamecube was a victim of a few things, mostly it's time of release and the choice to go with that unique disc format. Releasing it in the US a month after GTA 3 and same time as Metal Gear Solid 2 on Playstation 2 and a few days after X-Box launched with a huge marketing blitz and their own killer app in Halo, without their own real killer app or even a Mario game (not counting Luigi's Mansion) really hurt them. Throw in that anyone debating whether to buy one or the other would be able to use the other two consoles as a DVD player and I think they were doomed from the start. Pity, it did end up having a pretty decent library, including one of the best games of all time in RE 4, though most of the people that played that probably played it on another console.

Loved my GameCube.

Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness were worth buying it for alone.

ZoBlitz am managing to play a bit of bf1 tonight, the blimp going down in a fireball looks amazing. Maps are great. Just need to get off the scrub tier weapons!

ZoBlitz am managing to play a bit of bf1 tonight, the blimp going down in a fireball looks amazing. Maps are great. Just need to get off the scrub tier weapons!
Yeah, I've only just making the effort to decide on what to unlock. Other thing I've noticed today was with the zeppelins and trains etc becoming available when teams are behind I haven't seen too many blow-outs in conquest which is nice.

Yeah, I've only just making the effort to decide on what to unlock. Other thing I've noticed today was with the zeppelins and trains etc becoming available when teams are behind I haven't seen too many blow-outs in conquest which is nice.

Just finished playing. A solid 3 and a half hour sesh. The LMG with the suppressor and bipod is probably one of the best weapons in the game. Really enjoy the forest map and the desert maps.

Just finished playing. A solid 3 and a half hour sesh. The LMG with the suppressor and bipod is probably one of the best weapons in the game. Really enjoy the forest map and the desert maps.
Make sure you play some operations, really good fun. I think I'm addicted to playing support at the moment.

Make sure you play some operations, really good fun. I think I'm addicted to playing support at the moment.

Yeah I'm playing a lot of support. Trying to get 10 pistol kills at the moment for a medal. Thinking TDM is the easiest way to do that! Love me some conquest. Yet to play 'war pigeons'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the operations game mode? Haven't tried it yet.
Here's a reasonable summary of how it works - it's basically a combination of the old rush mode that was in previous versions of BF and the usual conquest mode. You play across multiple maps and multiple sectors within a map, with it being dependent on how your side goes. It's excellent because you'll get much better team work compared to conquest (from the few hours I played today).

I hate behemoths... especially airship on Operations. Sick of getting killed as soon as I spawn in.
They can be a pain in the arse. I had a reasonable run as support in an Operations game today where I kept taking out people spawning in the machine gun positions before they worked out where I was. Have to be lucky as to your positioning really.

I need to try out other classes. Been using Scout pretty much all game but I just like the flare gun for objective play. Helps out the team so much.

I've played about 5 or 6 operations games and every one I have been on the defending side. Is there a way to play as the attackers or is it just random?
Yeah, I wish more people spotted generally. You can do some real damage with the mortars when playing support and then no one spots so it's hard to zero in on people.

Not sure about operations sides.

I played 1 operation with a mate. We used the landship tank the entire time. We were attacking but didn't end up winning, made it to the last point. My mate thought initially that we were vsing AI because we were just mowing them down in the tank.

I'm playing some TDM at the moment. Pretty fun.

Popped into Target to see if I could score a copy of BF1 for $60 but they sold out quickly... too much of a cheapskate/lazy to drive to JB and get it there for $69 but all these positive reviews should push me over the line eventually

Cheapest digital version I could find from sources that don't look completely dodgy was $67 so I guess that'd be a way to go I guess

Popped into Target to see if I could score a copy of BF1 for $60 but they sold out quickly... too much of a cheapskate/lazy to drive to JB and get it there for $69 but all these positive reviews should push me over the line eventually

Cheapest digital version I could find from sources that don't look completely dodgy was $67 so I guess that'd be a way to go I guess

I just buy the digital CD key from ozgameshop. Roughly the same price as everywhere else ($67) and it is emailed to me within 30min or so.

Looks like it's just me playing Civ :p
I played most of the gaming time I had on the weekend. Did my usual thing of starting multiple games while I learnt systems etc. Initial impressions:
  • It has one of the most beautiful and practical fog of war maps I have encountered in a strategy game. Love looking at it and it is useful as it leaves general info behind on barbarian encampment and city state locations.
  • City management is interesting with the new tile based encampments and wonders.
  • Combat is Civ 5 style which I like. No stacks of doom.
  • I haven't gotten past medieval before hitting a restart, but random starts are generally favourable (unless you turn that option off)
  • The Civs have definite strengths and weaknesses but sometimes they aren't always apparent. Also some specific functionality isn't immediately intuitive (such as how the Viking coastal raiding works).
Still enjoying and am currently conspiring to skive off work early so I can play more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back