Video game catchall

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Enjoying the Dungeon Runs too. Haven’t finished any yet. Have got up to the last boss a couple of times but got slapped. The deck build really doesn’t seem to matter greatly until that last couple of fights.

Bit disheartening getting 7/8 with nothing to show for it though. Wish it was somewhat better integrated with the rewards system. Some dust or a small amount of gold would be nice, or at least let it count towards your daily quests.
Yeah it's a waste of gold but I'd take a loss to have some genuine fun. Also have not completed a run yet the final bosses have been brutal especially if the treasures you select don't synergise well for the late game. Have tried to get a basic meta deck going but RNG of the treasures and loot crates kills it.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Yeah it's a waste of gold but I'd take a loss to have some genuine fun. Also have not completed a run yet the final bosses have been brutal especially if the treasures you select don't synergise well for the late game. Have tried to get a basic meta deck going but RNG of the treasures and loot crates kills it.

Good news: Just completed a run as a Mage.
IMG_0965.JPG

Bad news: you get absolutely nothing for it.

OK so I posted on the VG Board thread, my games of 2017 but then expanded it for the Nerd Dad's group I run on Facebook and then still managed to forget Hearthstone and Elder Scrolls Legends. Expanded list for discussion below.

So I did my video games of the year post over on BigFooty (had to be a game released this year). Thought I would post here for conversation.

Basically it is the 'new' games I bought this year, in order of "goodness".

1. Prey
2. Star Wars Battlefront 2
3. Destiny 2
4. Mass Effect Andromeda
5. Dead Cells
6. Expeditions: Vikings
7. Northguard
8. Hand of Fate 2
9. Total War Warhammer 2

But really the perpetual "I love Paradox award" goes to Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris and Europa Universalis IV.
The "Never out of Alpha but I keep playing" award goes to Rimworld.
The "I never finish you but I keep coming back" award goes to Skyrim.
Not to mention the "I completed you but now you have survival mode and I can play all that DLC I bought?" award that goes to Fallout IV (and Skyrim).

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stuck on 120+ priest wins for dungeon run... only met the final boss twice each time I was more or less a no show. I just cannot get any synergy with any of the treasures and loot... closest I got was a half arsed dragon priest deck but it was rubbish. Have heard the priest deck isn't even one of the hardest... but it's the last one I need for complete wins.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mine for 2017 are Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey.

Can’t remember a year when Nintendo stuff was so dominant.

Played plenty of other games too - they just cane out on top.

Mine for 2017 are Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey.

Can’t remember a year when Nintendo stuff was so dominant.

Played plenty of other games too - they just cane out on top.
I am so tempted by a Switch. Trying to convince the kids to pool their funds.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Weird year for me, a lot of backlog clearing in my gameplaying.

I'll put together a "best games I played for the first time in 2017" list I think, regardless of release date. Going to be a lot of VR stuff I suspect, as it really has been a paradigm shift for me in what games can be.

I'll put together a "best games I played for the first time in 2017" list I think, regardless of release date. Going to be a lot of VR stuff I suspect, as it really has been a paradigm shift for me in what games can be.
**Cough** Hollow Knight

**Cough** Hollow Knight

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
These rankings are based entirely on the subjective enjoyment I derived from playing. Not a list derived on critical analysis of game design and technical achievement (otherwise Zelda would be substantially higher).

1. Hollow Knight (PC)
2. Superhot VR (PCVR)
3. Steamworld Heist (PC)
4. F1 2017 (PC)
5. Accounting (PCVR)
6. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (PCVR)
7. Elite: Dangerous (PCVR)
8. Rec Room (PCVR)
9. Rez Infinite (PCVR)
10. Job Simulator (PCVR)
11. Zelda: BOTW (Wii-U)
12. Cuphead (PC)
13. Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality (PCVR)
14. Steamworld Dig (PC)
15. Endless Legend (PC)

Big thumbs down to my PS4 which has become a Netflix/Stan machine and nothing else. Have totally checked out on it for gaming. Yawn.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Now for my exotic awards.

Funniest Game: Accounting (Honourable mentions to Job Simulator and Virtual Rick-Ality)

Most Original: Accounting (PCVR)

Hardest Game I managed to finish: Hollow Knight

Hardest Game I will almost certainly never be able to finish: Cuphead

Most Stylish: Cuphead (not even close!)

Best World Building: Steamworld Heist.

Game that everyone is going coco bananas for but I just can't get into: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds

Best game that just didn't get the attention it deserved: Hollow Knight

Game that I want to play more than anything else but can't currently justify the expenditure for: Super Mario Odyssey

Most Anticipated Games of 2018: We Happy Few, Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit, Frostpunk, Griftlands, Railway Empire, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, Metroid Prime 4.

Biggest Gaming Issue of 2017: Loot boxes.

Biggest Gaming Issue of 2018: Loot boxes.

Most tragic developer shut-down of the year (Sponsored by Electronic Arts): Visceral Entertainment (honorable mention to Runic).

Platform of the Year: PC. Not even close. The place to be for VR right now and the indie game renaissance on PC is absolutely magic at the moment. Feel for those stuck in perpetual Call of Duty/Battlefield "AAA title" banality on their consoles. (Honourable Mention: Nintendo. Absolutely stoked to see the Switch break through into the mainstream. Nintendo belong on top of the consoles).

Developer that I am most excited about: Team Cherry. Hollow Knight was amazing across the board - art, music, design, gameplay, world building... I can't wait for what they do next. (honourable mention: Image & Form)

Last edited:

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
PUBG - best game with friends.

Witcher 3 - Best game with no friends.

Comedy Club - Best game at 4am once I get home from a big one.

Not actually seeing a lot of 'need to buy' games this year, although that is probably because i still have heaps i need to finish. Looking at hitting up Prey, liked the look of that when it came out. Dishonored is a game series i think i need to play through, i have the first but haven't even started playing it yet, but might grab 2 and DOTO. Hollow knight i've seen a few say is great, and i've had a look at it and is very tempting. Love the art style and looks like a heap of fun. The other game i'm looking at is the witcher 3. I have not yet played any of the witcher games.. it is my secret shame.

Anyone tried the Microsoft Mixed Reality standard? I'm getting a headset for free with my new laptop and just want to see if anyone has had a personal experience with it because the reviews are a bit mixed. Either way it will be good enough or I can probably flog it off second hand for a couple of hundred bucks.

Also, anyone played The Foundry? Just popped up in my queue and looks pretty interesting.

Not actually seeing a lot of 'need to buy' games this year, although that is probably because i still have heaps i need to finish. Looking at hitting up Prey, liked the look of that when it came out. Dishonored is a game series i think i need to play through, i have the first but haven't even started playing it yet, but might grab 2 and DOTO. Hollow knight i've seen a few say is great, and i've had a look at it and is very tempting. Love the art style and looks like a heap of fun. The other game i'm looking at is the witcher 3. I have not yet played any of the witcher games.. it is my secret shame.

I hadn't played any Witcher games before 3. It took me a little while to get into but it more than pays off the investment.

Back