Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Eleanor_of_Aquitaine_(French)_(Civ6).png

Eleanor of Aquitaine is my bae. :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

Just smashed out a Culture victory as France. All wrapped up before the year 2000.

Bread and Circus Project + pumping out Great Works for Eleanor's leader ability. Loyalty pressure on surrounding Civs was insane. Then secured the Congress vote where my new districts create culture bombs. Was soaking up defecting opposition cities like a sponge. Golden age after golden age too. Think I'm done with Prince difficulty now. On to King.

The AI still has some amusing quirks. I was surrounding Alexander with military units early on because I needed his iron bad. He was getting shitty with me for massing troops on his border but kept throwing stupid money per turn at me for Great Works. He was very graciously funding my inevitable resource war against him, and let's just say those Great Works found their way back home very quickly. ;)

Last edited:
Man, the console industry is at a FASCINATING crossroad.

Microsoft are really going all in on a subscription, Netflix style approach to gaming. Will be interesting to see if that pays off next generation and if it provides a sustainable business model for games development. I see plenty of potential for it. Also interesting to see how cloud power will be harnessed as internet connections get more and more reliable. Who needs a powerful console if there is a supercomputer on the other end doing all the rendering. You'd just need a basic set top box and a controller, and hope the lag is okay. Not feasioble now, but in 5 years, who knows.

The rumours of Nintendo and Microsoft getting in to bed together seem to be more and more likely to be true. If so, Microsoft is clearly going early, and hard and want to get GamePass on as many platforms as possible, as soon as possible. Google and Apple will be watching very, very closely - they wont want to miss the boat on this. Leaves Sony in a very tricky position on whether they follow suit 100 percent or bank on another generation of the traditional console gaming model.

The Switch is killing it too. By mid year it will have outsold the PS4 in Japan despite only being on the market for 2 years compared to the PS4's 6. It will go to new heights again this year with Animal Crossing and Pokemon Gen 8 on the way.

The games industry is a much better place when Nintendo is on top of their game. If they are able to add Xbox GamePass to the Switch, * me, they are going to go to new heights again.

It's really, really interesting looking at the industry right now. Big changes on the way.

Used to play skyrim about 5 years ago, the gf was away for a month so found my old Xbox 360 and bought Skyrim - legendary edition. Been playing for about 2 months now, such a good game. Anyone played the more recent editions of the game? Any good?

Used to play skyrim about 5 years ago, the gf was away for a month so found my old Xbox 360 and bought Skyrim - legendary edition. Been playing for about 2 months now, such a good game. Anyone played the more recent editions of the game? Any good?

It’s cool in VR!

Davemonkey Humble are having a big sale on Stellaris and it’s DLC, so I’m jumping on.

Is all the DLC worthwhile? I’m definitely willing to buy the lot if it is.
Absolutely. I am playing the console edition which is sans dlc and perversion 2.0. The additional content, events and systems make it a much better game.

Playing Hollow Knight on the Switch at the moment and getting my backside kicked by the White Palace. Still, I beat the Mantis Lords early on in the piece, I'm sure I can eventually get through this too (seriously, I think back on my play through as "before Mantis Lords" and "after Mantis Lords").

I like Anthem. Sure it's got problems, but the core mechanics are great it's just the loot, the fluff and the social aspect of a co-op game. I hope EA doesn't pull the pin prematurely because I think it has some real room to grow and there seems to be enough evidence of where they have had to compromise their vision to get it out that over time I think it can be a phenomenal game. They likely won't get it right until Anthem 2 though but I think there is enough there.

Playing Final Fantasy 7 on the Switch, and I'm up to the part where Aeris (Aerith?) is captured by the Shinra and her mother shares her backstory and I may or may not be crying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Final Fantasy 7 on the Switch, and I'm up to the part where Aeris (Aerith?) is captured by the Shinra and her mother shares her backstory and I may or may not be crying.

At least it should be smooth sailing from here on out for Aeris.

I hate it when RPGs force you to use a character you don't want to use...looking at you FF7.

Cloud/Tifa OTP!

Late to the party, I know, but just picked up Hollow Knight on sale on the PS4. Now I just need to find the time to play it and avoid adding yet another title to my pile of shame.

Late to the party, I know, but just picked up Hollow Knight on sale on the PS4. Now I just need to find the time to play it and avoid adding yet another title to my pile of shame.

Wish I could go in fresh again. Beautiful experience.

Prepare for difficulty. Fair, non-cheap difficulty.

Chocobo breeding...now I see why I never bothered...and why I never finished FF7 before...still, I really do want Knights of the Round so...

Chocobo breeding...now I see why I never bothered...and why I never finished FF7 before...still, I really do want Knights of the Round so...

Yeah there really is a lot of busywork that I’d forgotten about.

Fort Condor is a grind too. I remember that but being more fun than this. I guess Tower Defence games have come a long way in 20 years.

Yeah there really is a lot of busywork that I’d forgotten about.

Fort Condor is a grind too. I remember that but being more fun than this. I guess Tower Defence games have come a long way in 20 years.

I ended up having to do the whole boss battle thing with Fort Condor, I completely botched the defence up. Eh, I got my Materia in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back