Video Request: The day Fitzroy were robbed.

Remove this Banner Ad

That was quite simply disgusting umpiring. :thumbsdown::mad:

I really feel sad for those Fitzroy players in perticular. Simply putting a team on the field was a struggle with all of the financial difficulties they had to indure. They put their hearts into getting a win, when winning was rare for them. I know how awful that feeling used to be, at St. Kilda too. When the 4 points feels like a premiership. As if Fitzroy or St. Kilda supporters would even know what a premiership feels like. :(

Two hours of grit, determination and hard work from the Roys, only to be screwed by the umpires. Truely one of the darker days of our great game.

Just found this thread.

I remember that game really well. I was about nine at the time, I think. I bawled my eyes out afterwards.

I'd always thought, looking back, that I must have overreacted as a kid and the decisions can't have been that bad.

But they were, weren't they? It really is hard to watch those final few minutes without thinking that the umpires had some kind of stake in Adelaide winning that match.

The first free kick was horrible that was a fantastic text book tackle.

The second free kick was there he has held and also hit high.

The third free kick can be argued a few ways... Roos not recieving one for being held without taking possesion of the ball. The actual free kick did the player make a realistic effort at getting rid of the ball, he wasnt tackled hard and made bugger all attempt to clear it knocking it back towards himself.

The game though should not have even seen the second two free kicks however as the first was certainly not there

I remember this so clearly, I was 9! I just remember me and my old man shaking our head in disgust. From memory, Fitzroy had a great win in Adelaide too, maybe after that. Manson kicked a goal after the siren and Quinlan went ape s**t!!

Does anyobody remember the game Fitzroy played against Richmond when they were robbed of another win? I think it was in 95 or 96. From memory, Matty Knights was given a dubious free kick and an even more ridiculous 50 metre penalty. I actually think that it was a lot worse than the Adelaide game to be honest!!

I definitely remember that Richmond game StrokerAce - I was there at the MCG that day. I just looked it up and it was 1995 (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/fitzroy/allgames.html ). Apparently we were up by 4 goals at 3-quarter time and ended up getting beaten by 6 points.

I think we were still in front when Richmond got that ridiculous free for deliberate out of bounds about 50-60m out from goal (I can't remember who it was against). I think I remember the ball was thrown back in an arc up in the air to Knights who deliberately ran backwards at the same time causing the ball to fall in front of him, which lead to the umpire giving a ridiculous 50m, and a certain goal.

I am pretty sure there were a few shocking free kicks in that last quarter, with the umps seemingly riding Richmond home.

Free kick was against Jeff Bruce & the 50m was against Doug Hawkins for umpire abuse

About the 50m penalty - I could swear it was for throwing the ball back short. When the ball landed in front of Knights that is when the umpire blew for the 50m penalty. Maybe the umpire was being 'sworn at' at exactly the same time.

LotR and Mobbs, I'm sure you are each correct. The original incident happened closer to the Members side wing, but Knights had a shot from the goalsquare. No one has surely been penalised for deliberate out of bounds at such proximity from their defensive goal line. Doug Hawkins was reported for abusive language which included expressing that he'd never seen a worse umpiring decision throughout his career. The scores were level before the Knights goal and would remain unchanged for the final minutes.

I'm sure this was the game where Baldwin and McCarthy showed a touch of 'manlove' after the match on the way back to the rooms.

I was there that day with my brother bruce got pinged for deliberate then matty knights deliberately let the ball bounce for the 50 as the rule in those days the ball had to be delivered to the player on the full. Maybe it is Karma how Matty Knights ended up at being sacked at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here yers go. I found this on one of those "Season That Was" vids.

[YOUTUBE]TdjogB6bVU8[/YOUTUBE]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and scrub my eyeballs.

Horrible. Makes complaining about a free given to the other team (which they get a goal from) in the 2nd qtr or something pale in comparison.

That's the worst umpiring i've seen in a 2 minute stretch which cost the Lions the game.

Sorry for leaping onto your board, but this game has always fascinated me. I remember watching it and feeling sick at the time.

My memories are:

1. Very wet - so low scores.
2. Last 3 kicks of the game were free kicks - to Adelaide. Two goals were kicked in the last three kicks (Free kick in front of goal, back to the centre, free kick in centre, kick to half-forward, free kick (after siren).
3. Commentator Peter McKenna complaining about the free kicks and that Adelaide were 'pinching' the game.
4. There were only 2 goals kicked in the last quarter - both Adelaide frees in the last 1-2 minutes.
5. The Adelaide crowd started chanting 'Cheat, Cheat' after the siren. Not just the Fitzroy supporters.
6. AFL House was graffiti-ed the next day.

If anyone finds the video - you only need the last 2 minutes.

The cheat chant was actually at half time because the umpiring had been terrible! Against the Crows so to be fair the umpires just continued their poor performance except it went the other way in the last few minutes! I was at the game and yes awful decision but there were plenty that night!

The cheat chant was actually at half time because the umpiring had been terrible! Against the Crows so to be fair the umpires just continued their poor performance except it went the other way in the last few minutes! I was at the game and yes awful decision but there were plenty that night!
I can support fatbarber's memory of that. :thumbsu:

horrible umpiring, one good thing is that the comentators actually said something bad about the umpiring, never see it these days as they always try and make excuses for the umpires.

I remember the commentators not holding back that night.

These days I am sure the AFL turns up the heat on all the TV channels to ensure they rarely say anything against the umpires. The politically correct propaganda that frequently comes out of TV commentators mouths now when an umpiring decision is obviously wrong is just cringe-worthy.

In contrast, radio callers seem to have free reign to call things as they see it.

In contrast, radio callers seem to have free reign to call things as they see it.

Radio Commentary pumps the TV commentary in my opinion, The Tv stuff is too pure "how now brown cow" type crap. I listen to SEN and they seem to sometimes paint a better picture than whats actually happening on the box.
Seems to be more excitement on the radio and much better commentators who have no problem calling it how it actually is, i agree with this 100% LotR.:thumbsu:

Is there anyway as Royboy fans can try and work together to bring the club back into the afl again as i think most of us Roy supports were under the age of 20 when they merged can't we take our fight to the afl to have fitzroy back in again like our song said in defeat we will always try how many of us fitzroy fans go for bris this days i have never flowed a club like i did with fitzroy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back