Opinion Video review system

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you think it’s time that we took away the little annoyances with the goal post by changing the rules so that if it goes between the big sticks it’s a goal? Whether it snicks the post or not shouldn’t matter. If it hits the post and goes back in to play it’s a point. Save us a huge amount of “score review!” Angst. Why would it work or why wouldn’t it?

I’d get rid of the touched off the boot in general play.
If the umpire doesn’t call it, too bad.
Goal square off the ground scenario for touched is different.
I’d stop the broadcasters from sensationalising the goal review process.
Have the assessor look at it, make the call whilst showing what he/she is seeing and explain it like in the cricket.
The broadcasters can’t, (or used not be) show a replay of a reported incident, same should apply here.
We need HD footage on all this with the capacity to zoom.
PS: Channel 7 should be made to broadcast in HD all the time.

Do you think it’s time that we took away the little annoyances with the goal post by changing the rules so that if it goes between the big sticks it’s a goal? Whether it snicks the post or not shouldn’t matter. If it hits the post and goes back in to play it’s a point. Save us a huge amount of “score review!” Angst. Why would it work or why wouldn’t it?
Agree 100% . Other codes do it this way. Also all the padding makes the goal posts artificially wider and probably cause the width between the goals to vary from time to time, place to place and at different heights.

I’d get rid of the touched off the boot in general play.
If the umpire doesn’t call it, too bad.
Goal square off the ground scenario for touched is different.
I’d stop the broadcasters from sensationalising the goal review process.
Have the assessor look at it, make the call whilst showing what he/she is seeing and explain it like in the cricket.
The broadcasters can’t, (or used not be) show a replay of a reported incident, same should apply here.
We need HD footage on all this with the capacity to zoom.
PS: Channel 7 should be made to broadcast in HD all the time.
Is like to see hitting the post and going through for a goal, a goal. Going through for a behind a behind, even when hitting the point post.
Ball bounces back into play? Play on!
This would remove any need for reviews for ball on post.
Touching the ball still negates a goal though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back