Viduka's "Second-Rate Citizen"

• Thread starter Briedis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

B

Briedis

I like soccer, but if Viduka and Soccer Australia ever think that soccer will become the number 1 football code in Oz, they are mistaken.

Soccer has no concept of loyalty. I mean, the players are always whinging about having to come and play for their countries, Farina looks like he won't even coach the Aussies in the WC Finals if they make...he'd prefer to go and coach club football in Italy or whereever, and contracts are broken like they mean nothing.

I could never support soccer because the people involved are too greedy and do not care about supporters and in my opinion these rae the reasons why soccer will remain a "second-rate citizen" to th e other footy codes in Australia.

FIFA are about to introduce a new set of rules that will ensure contracts are not broken and clubs get compensated for developing youngsters.

FIFA is also reviewing its rules on international matches, where currently a club has to allow its players to play in a minimum of 7 internationals a year.

But if you think soccer won't be one of the most popular sports in Australia, you are wrong. Soccer is the most played sport in Australia(in terms of participants), and with a bit of success by the socceroos we will see the game explode into a new era. In my school we struggle to get 20 students for the footy team, for soccer we get enough participants to field several teams. It is the only sport in my school where you have to try out in order to make the school team. All other sports you just have to put your hand up and you're in.

Soccer is gonna be huge, all it needs is a bit of a nudge to get it started.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
But if you think soccer won't be one of the most popular sports in Australia, you are wrong. Soccer is the most played sport in Australia(in terms of participants), and with a bit of success by the socceroos we will see the game explode into a new era.

Soccer has always been the most participated sport in Australia, that's nothing new...but can you seriously see Sydney United attracting bigger crowds than Essendon? I think you are dreaming there....

Watch the AFL 'identities' have sooks and cheap shots at soccer. It demeans them.

I think soccer could be hugely popular and not neccesarily at the expense of AFL. But I do think the local league needs a leg up.

Perhaps if Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane had one team each and played against teams from places like Singapore, Indonesia, NZ, Malaysia etc and they regularly get 30-40,000 and TV coverage and some of the mid-range stars play here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back