Opinion Viewing platforms

Remove this Banner Ad

I have Foxtel and have had it for years... how do I afford it you ask? Well, I have 3 box's - 1 is at my house, 1 is at my parents house and 1 is at my wifes parents house.

We then split the bill in thirds which results in us paying about $40 or so each/ month.

This works as long as everyone has either Cable OR Satellite connections - Foxtel have no way of ever know where the box physically is and as long as the bills are paid, they never will.

These days, there is a very good chance that a house that you rent or buy will have a connection from past occupants - if it does, find a mate that has foxtel, get an extra box "installed" into their house then after the tech has gone unscrew it and take it home with you... instant half price Foxtel!

I know about a dozen people that do this with satellite. Didn't think it would work with cable though ??

Putting aside our on-going frank discussions Telstra, there has been zero benefit in moving to the NBN. Same speed, often slower, so a complete waste. But we did receive a big shiny white modem:)

The sole reason we signed up was advice from Telstra that if people registered interest prior to the NBN being accesible in the area, the cost would be less than costs after availability.

Just received the postcard saying it's coming to this area.

Can't wait to pay more for a shabbier service.

Went from 2-3MB/s to a consistent 23MB/s. Same cost as adsl.

Still the fact it isn't fttp is a disgrace.

I've been on NBN since moving to the newlace and it's been stable as a rock and as fast as I've needed it. Sitting around 54mbps, torrenting at approx. 5-7mbs.

It's been good, with Internode. They allowed me to start on the 100mbps plan and work down until the sync speeds matched the plan. Oddly enough my plan is a 50mbps plan, and I'm on 54. :)

I know about a dozen people that do this with satellite. Didn't think it would work with cable though ??
As far as I know, as long as the cable hasnt been cut inside the little grey box on the outside of your house - then the signal will still be there... it just needs a decoder to view it.

Interesting. In Melbourne if you were in an NBN area, you couldn't get ADSL, you had to sign up to NBN.
One of my sisters-in-law bought a house in an older Adelaide suburb a few years ago and was told she could not get an ADSL connection because the NBN was currently being rolled out in that area. She spent over 12 months on a satellite connection until the NBN was available.

Just received the postcard saying it's coming to this area.

Can't wait to pay more for a shabbier service.
My ISP has being hassling me to switch to the NBN since it became available at my address just over a month ago. Only the night before last I received an email from them with the subject "Have you forgotten something?". My resistance is based on paying more for a shabbier or at best an equally poor level of service. I have repeatedly told my ISP that if they can guarantee that I will get a significantly better connection speed than what they are currently providing on ADSL2+ then I will happily pay the extra $20 a month. Their best effort so far is to tell me "it shouldn't be any worse".

I got nbn installed at my mum's place recently. I was doubtful of how well it would work on the shitty copper. Went from 3-4mbps on adsl2 to 12 (which is the plan restriction) and it sounds ok so far.

At my place i get about 12-13 mbps on adsl anyway, so if i go up to 25meg nbn its gonna cost me more. If i was gonna do it, I'd want at least 50mbps anyway

I got nbn installed at my mum's place recently. I was doubtful of how well it would work on the shitty copper. ...
My ADSL2+ is poo because of the shitty copper and that gave me little hope for FTTN NBN but my property is going to be connected to the node using coax so at least the copper will be out of the equation. I'm waiting for some of my neighbours to connect to see how they fare before I commit. Unfortunately in 18 months I'll be forced to switch regardless.

The issue at my mums place is that last few hundred metres of copper is s**t. The pit out the front is ancient and regularly water will leak in when it rains. FTTN doesnt do a damn thing about that. Its a tremendous waste of money.
I know that Malcolm Turnbull virtually invented the internet but anyone who believes that using shitty old copper twisted pair cabling can deliver the same speeds as fibre optic cable is either delusional or just plain stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cable internet FTW

previous tenants at my place had Foxtel, I signed up to cable through Telstra, $90 a month, buts it's the fastest and most reliable internet I've ever had

Meanwhile, on the real NBN:

6485396227.png

Cable internet FTW

previous tenants at my place had Foxtel, I signed up to cable through Telstra, $90 a month, buts it's the fastest and most reliable internet I've ever had
Pricey but quick yea, I don't like what I'm hearing about NBN I'll stick until I have no choice

I had no option but telstra cable at home it's reliable but it sucks not having other options

And this is still slower than renowned tech hubs Eritrea, Moldova and Pakistan, no?
"Australians don't need high speed internet" - Christopher Pyne, Minister for Innovation, Science and Industry, May 2016.

"Australians don't need high speed internet" - Christopher Pyne, Minister for Innovation, Science and Industry, May 2016.

Still remember the op-eds in Rupert's rags playing the "billions of taxpayers dollars for what, faster pr0n?" card, which is akin to denouncing four-lane dual carriageways because drag racing.

We all know that News Corp are trying to protect their interests in Foxtel

Absolutely. Still a high "the internet is a series of tubes" quotient amongst the suits in Canberra and the general population though.

We all know that News Corp are trying to protect their interests in Foxtel
They are also akin to the Dutch boy with his finger in the dike (the Low Countries' version) trying to prevent the flood of online news sites from dampening their print news profits.

Still remember the op-eds in Rupert's rags playing the "billions of taxpayers dollars for what, faster pr0n?" card, which is akin to denouncing four-lane dual carriageways because drag racing.
Yes I download way more music n' film than pr0n **** em'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back