Viney concusses himself - media question Eagles Barrass?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So Viney does what Viney does. Goes in hard to bump a player with the ball. Barrass hand balls and a split second later braces for Viney's bump.

Barrass 196cm Viney 185cm gets a solid shoulde to his jaw and ruled out with the concussion test at half time.

Then pretty much the media outlets run with Is Barrass in trouble? Replay the footage over and over.

Seems to be a recurring theme Eagles players being run through the media trial for borderline actions.

Jetta, Rioli and now Barrass questioned on football actions.

So is this going to cop a week?

Did Barrass take the weight/height differential between himself and Viney into account when he decided to play the game of AFL all those years ago?

Seems to be a recurring theme Eagles players being run through the media trial for borderline actions.

Yeah, the AFL has an agenda against the West Coast Eagles and will do anything to suspend their players.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Rioli deserved his suspension but agree with the rest, Barrass just braced himself for Viney's failed bump.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah Rioli's was there for sure. Barrass has no case to answer but if Graham gets away with the tackle that knocked out the Port bloke I would certainly question whether WC get an unfair run with Christian. The Nic Nat one last year was a diabolical shambles and I think most WC supporters are weary that the MRO f*wit has it in for us since then. Lets see what happens.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Viney was doing stupid things beforehand aswell, throwing his body around like a madman. Sadly vineys point of difference as a player was his unquestioned toughness, problem is most players have similar toughness these days and use their bodies better. Suns or Casey next year.

Couple of years ago Hodge bumped Wingard in to a Behind post. Got 2 weeks even though Wingard wasnt hurt.

On the weekend a Port player shoved Neale in to a Goal post and he had to leave the ground and receive medical treatment.

I wonder what will be the outcome there.

You don't have to wonder for long, the Port game was the weekend before?

Port Adelaide's Dougal Howard fined $3000 for rough conduct on Lachie Neale.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Couple of years ago Hodge bumped Wingard in to a Behind post. Got 2 weeks even though Wingard wasnt hurt.

On the weekend a Port player shoved Neale in to a Goal post and he had to leave the ground and receive medical treatment.

I wonder what will be the outcome there.

Hodge tried to kill Wingard, I still think Hodge should've got 6 weeks.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah Rioli's was there for sure. Barrass has no case to answer but if Graham gets away with the tackle that knocked out the Port bloke I would certainly question whether WC get an unfair run with Christian. The Nic Nat one last year was a diabolical shambles and I think most WC supporters are weary that the MRO f*wit has it in for us since then. Lets see what happens.
Looking at the AFL website report video, no mention whatsoever of Jack Graham on Dan Houston. To me that looked like he had both arms pinned and slammed him onto the ground with no chance of protection, Houston reportedly concussed and came off yet it seems the Verdict dont think it is even worth a mention.
Meanwhile they seem to be open to Barrass getting suspended because he couldnt make himself dissapear into thin air and even looked at some nigglethe was barely worth a free kick.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Viney was doing stupid things beforehand aswell, throwing his body around like a madman. Sadly vineys point of difference as a player was his unquestioned toughness, problem is most players have similar toughness these days and use their bodies better. Suns or Casey next year.

Viney plays with no fear for his own safety nor anyone elses. Remember reading in u18 comp pre getting drafted parents wouldnt allow their sons to play against Viney he went that hard.

He's tough.....crazy tough.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
As annoying as it's been that we haven't caught a break with the suspensions, I've felt that all our suspended players deserved a week going on how the league is cracking down on head high/consussion injuries.

This incident however is very different given that Barrass is running in a straight line away from Viney, gives a handball and then protects the ball carrier without deviating from his line. Viney runs into him and hurts himself in the process.
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets given a week by the MRO, but it will definitely be overturned at the tribunal.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I remember that. That action could easily put someone in a wheel chair.

If it happened earlier in the season would have got more. Two weeks from finals so he copped two games.

Hodge could be a part of Ronnie Bigg's Great Train Robbery gang. He'd still get off. See him get the umpire reverse a decision on Sat. night ?
Have you ever, ever seen an umpire do that ?

Do you class BT, Richardson or Campbell Brown Victorian commentators?
nope, I would classify them as clowns who for some reason get to talk during the football telecast

Tap Tap Tapperoo

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of course the commentators are going to ask the question after he went off concussed. It was hardly a campaign to get him suspended though.

It was a fair question, but a decent look at it shows he was bracing for contact after disposing it, and it was rightly thrown out.

But sure, play the Vic bias card...again.

Back