Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
Fitzroy FC
To complement the long-running Fitzroy video thread on the Roys board, thought it might be time for a compilation thread for old timey Bears/Lions matches/highlights/interviews etc found on the yoochoob.

1996 Qualifying Final (first finals match at Gabba)

1991 AFL Reserves Grand Final

Random freak Jared Brennan goal

2002 season highlights

'A Bear Is Born'

2001 AFLQ Grand Final

Ireland, Walls and Merrett, 1993

Bill McDonald and Marcus Ashcroft preview 1992 Bears/Eagles clash

Fev gets the lemonade

2009 Elimination Final

Link away...

Not a vid, but I couldn't find another thread to put this on, so...

Now out of print, use this link to download a PDF copy of Ross Fitzgerald's book the chronicled the Bears' amazing 1995 season - The Footy Club: Inside The Brisbane Bears.

Here's QLD/NT v Tasmania from 1993. Plenty of players of note for Bears/Fitzroy fans here and I may not have the full list:

Michael Voss (17/18 years old)
Alistair Lynch (Playing for Tas)
Marcus Ashcroft
Michael McLean
Steve McCluckie
Daryl White
Troy Clarke
Simon Luhrs
Nathan Buckley
Tony Lynn
Gilbert McAdam
Matthew Kennedy
Danny Dickfos

Tasmanians and others of note

John McCarthy (Fitzroy)
Jason Dunstall (ex-Coorparoo) playing for QLD
Brendon Gale
James Manson (Fitzroy)
Jamie Shanahan (Fitzroy)
Michael Long playing for QLD/NT
Paul Hudson for Tas

Now out of print, use this link to download a PDF copy of Ross Fitzgerald's book the chronichled the Bears' amazing 1995 season - The Footy Club: Inside The Brisbane Bears.
This is great stuff. I've just edited the thread title to widen the catchment beyond video.

Now out of print, use this link to download a PDF copy of Ross Fitzgerald's book the chronichled the Bears' amazing 1995 season - The Footy Club: Inside The Brisbane Bears.

Nicole.PNG

Nicole Duncan - still going after all these years: My Club: Nicole Duncan

Is Denis Ashcroft father of Marcus?

Historic day for the Bears

I was there that day. The club organised a few members to fly down the day before and fly back with the (mostly very drunk) team. Was an extremely memorable experience, got to watch from some of the best seats at the MCG from a corporate box with all food and drink paid for. Worth doing once in your life. Nothing really beats being in amongst the crowd but it was fun. And we got very close to the eventual premiers, too. After the game we got to mingle and commiserate with the players. Getting to meet Gilbert McAdam and Scott McIvor was a big moment for me. (I have a feeling that was Scotty's last game.) My mate shook hands nervously with Richard Champion and he was such a nice guy. Champs just kept shaking his hand like he was his best mate and telling him they'd be back next year. And they were, too.

I was looking through some of my old books a few weeks ago and out fell a couple of old documents from the Bears' early days.

This is a leaflet they handed out at Carrara in I think 1988.
1694492474949-5063e890-13b4-4445-bf45-e011f45ce6e8.jpg 1694492514477-ad825de6-ca5f-4e0f-b156-079d989a2be4.jpg

And this is one they gave out prior to a 1990 practice match. I think this was a rare game played within actual Brisbane.

1694492558229-4c6e92ee-0c86-4d59-8f78-00d45f298d20.jpg

(Annotations the author's own)

Here's QLD/NT v Tasmania from 1993. Plenty of players of note for Bears/Fitzroy fans here and I may not have the full list:

Michael Voss (17/18 years old)
Alistair Lynch (Playing for Tas)
Marcus Ashcroft
Michael McLean
Steve McCluckie
Daryl White
Troy Clarke
Simon Luhrs
Nathan Buckley
Tony Lynn
Gilbert McAdam
Matthew Kennedy
Danny Dickfos

Tasmanians and others of note

John McCarthy (Fitzroy)
Jason Dunstall (ex-Coorparoo) playing for QLD
Brendon Gale
James Manson (Fitzroy)
Jamie Shanahan (Fitzroy)
Michael Long playing for QLD/NT
Paul Hudson for Tas

I was at that game. Long day for us Tasmanians.

And every time Queensland kicked a goal they blasted "the heat is on" over the bloody speakers at Bellerive Oval 🤦🤦

I was looking through some of my old books a few weeks ago and out fell a couple of old documents from the Bears' early days.

This is a leaflet they handed out at Carrara in I think 1988.
View attachment 1825992View attachment 1825993

And this is one they gave out prior to a 1990 practice match. I think this was a rare game played within actual Brisbane.

View attachment 1825996

(Annotations the author's own)
Went to school with Jason Millar.

He had a very promising debut...

And maybe we should leave it at that.