Resource Vintage Brisbane Bears/Lions Multi-Media Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow they were talking about Monday night football even then? Did it get off the ground in the 80s? Regular Monday night games in Perth would have been a shambles... What, a 5:30 start? Nobody would have been able to get there from work!

Then of course both teams would have travel combined with a maximum 6 day break.

Shot with a potato, but never mind. Suncoast Lions off to a winning start 20 years ago today. Anyone want to have a shot at naming names?

View attachment 1941095

I’ll have a go although I’ll miss a few particularly the top ups

Back Row - Jeremy Stiller, Furfaro, Spaanderman, Pratt, McLaren, Rischitelli, Shattock, Selwood, Drummond, MacDonald

Middle Kneeling / Standing - Corrie, Moody, Ryswyck

Front Sitting - Pardew, Logan, McDonald, Adcock

I suspect Dan Merrett could be front left obscured at a guess

Shot with a potato, but never mind. Suncoast Lions off to a winning start 20 years ago today. Anyone want to have a shot at naming names?

View attachment 1941095
Oops. Almost forgot about this.

Standing: Austin Lucy, Jimmy Page, Josh Ratcliffe, Ben Cadzow, Nuxy, Dyl McLaren, Rischa, Shatts, Phyllis Stiller, Drummo, JMac.
Squatting: Jarad "Dr. Death" Nitschke (obscured), Jarryd Bates, Peter Trompf, Alestar Sioni, Moods, Jake Furfaro
Sitting: Josh Norman, Jack Burford, Jed.
Runner: Spaanderman

Apologies if my memory has malfunctioned and one or two are wrong.

And thank you for having a crack McIvor .

Oops. Almost forgot about this.

Standing: Austin Lucy, Jimmy Page, Josh Ratcliffe, Ben Cadzow, Nuxy, Dyl McLaren, Rischa, Shatts, Phyllis Stiller, Drummo, JMac.
Squatting: Jarad "Dr. Death" Nitschke (obscured), Jarryd Bates, Peter Trompf, Alestar Sioni, Moods, Jake Furfaro
Sitting: Josh Norman, Jack Burford, Jed.
Runner: Spaanderman

Apologies if my memory has malfunctioned and one or two are wrong.

And thank you for having a crack McIvor .
Spaanderman was the runner while on the playing list? Was this common practice back then at reserve grade level?

Yeah, players coming back from injuries often ran the messages for the twos. Llane was recovering from shoulder surgery.

Further examples:

Haydn Kiel

0704IMG_0644.JPG

Schmidtty

0704IMG_1596.JPG

J-Ro

0704IMG_2434.JPG

Nuxy

0704IMG_3091.JPG

Matt Tyler 'n' Paddy Garner

0704IMG_3609.JPG

SOKS

0704IMG_5027.JPG

Jim Hawksley

0704IMG_5778.JPG

Yoshi

0704IMG_6062.JPG

Mighty Mitch

07041C4A7602.JPG

Bart McCulloch

0704080.JPG

X

0704107 (2).JPG

Rhan

0704201 (3).JPG

Stakes

0704250.JPG

Drummo

0704262.JPG

Leuey

0704367 (3).JPG

A-Corn

0704421.JPG

Albert

0704744.JPG

and Clayton Beams Esq.

0704765.JPG

This showed up in my YT feed which some ex Roys will enjoy. What an affable bloke, liked when he said the coach said to go the knuckle in the GF. Seemed a character and a half

A few of my favourite under sized key forwards in this clip from John Hutton of the Bears who was massively underrated to Wheildon at Fitzroy and of course some breathtaking Darryl magic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back