FTA-TV Vinyl - New HBO Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Have repeatedly watched the two music parts where Bowie was playing Suffragette City (one of my fave Bowie songs) and then in the music shop where they were playing the Stooges' No Fun (one of my fave Stooges). Fantastic. Yeah episode built slowish to start but the way they tied it up with Ernst was brilliant and combined with the music became an epic ep for me. Great show, Cannavale just keeps nailing it.
I loved the music shop scene with the No Fun jam.

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
I am out glad so many enjoy it, but for me take away the Music and it’s nostalgia it seems an average show at times, maybe too many Creators/Directors and Writers trying to have a say on its direction.

The and Story lines Scenes seem padded, too many flashbacks (I know a lot of show use them but Vinyl goes over the top) and the Great Bobby Cannavale seems too spend 5 minutes an episode pulling a cum face after doing blow. He dose his best with the Script he's been given but for me the character just seems to have no enduring qualities well up to this point, the big saving grace is the Music but even this seems not enough to get in to the same level as some of Terence Winter better work "Sopranos" and "Boardwalk Empire"

Maybe I was expecting to much as it was hyped to the Max, unfortunately for me it fall short of being a great TV show in the vain of “Better Call Saul” “Mad Men” which I am watching at the moment I put on par with "Mr Robot" on the next division down.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully the drugs and murder subplots are wrapped up and take a back seat for now.

As someone who wasn't around in that era, can anyone comment on how fictional the show is? I read the building really did collapse in the first episode, but I don't want to do too much more digging in fear of spoilers.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Hopefully the drugs and murder subplots are wrapped up and take a back seat for now.

As someone who wasn't around in that era, can anyone comment on how fictional the show is? I read the building really did collapse in the first episode, but I don't want to do too much more digging in fear of spoilers.
Correct, this happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Good last episode, some great tunes, loved Elvis, the guy playing him nailed it, as for Richie, the fn bloke cant help himself...

Also anyone else start hearing bits of Rock N Roll Outlaw by Rose Tattoo when the Vinyl intro starts playing?

Benno355

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Im not a fan of the murder/cops storyline part of the show. Seems a little forced. Clearly that main character isnt going down for murder.
The discovery of the nightclub DJ scene has been hinted at a couple of times so far this season. Im hoping that storyline takes off along with the Nasty Bits.
Ray Ramano getting stuck into the nose whiskey is always good to watch. He has a nose made for it!

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Are they getting the celebrity lookalikes from one of those agencies that get people for birthday parties etc? The John Lennon looked a little stupid.

mandy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2001
Heaven
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Ugh. I dunno.

I love the characters, I love the music, the settings, the acting.

But I literally have no idea what story they're actually trying to tell. Just seems so disjointed. They're all just scenes to me without any big picture. Except the Buck Rogers one. And I hate that.

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ugh. I dunno.

But I literally have no idea what story they're actually trying to tell. Just seems so disjointed. They're all just scenes to me without any big picture. Except the Buck Rogers one. And I hate that.

Richie is like Larry from Curb Your Enthusiasm. He just can't catch a break.

Ugh. I dunno.

I think the chaos is meant to represent the nature of the record industry at the time and I love it.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
For me this shows a bit like your average album - a couple of very good tracks, a few that get your foot tapping, & the rest you can take or leave. Agree with some observations above that it would be nothing without the music plus I love the cameo's each week, but Richie being Richie has gotten old quick.

& I see Vinyl has been given a 2nd season but at a price as Terence Winter has been shown the door, which is kinda big given his & HBO's love affair...

‘Vinyl’ Showrunner Terence Winter Exits HBO Series, New Showrunner Named

There is a major behind-the-scenes shakeup at HBO’s 1970s rock n roll drama Vinylas the series heads into its second season. Co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Terence Winter has been let go over creative differences. Feature writer Scott Z. Burns (The Borne Ultimatum) has been named executive producer/showrunner and Max Borenstein (Godzilla) executive producer on the project, which is executive produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese. Burns has no TV credits, while Borenstein developed and executive produced Fox’s Minority Report series adaptation.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Series 1 is done then and HEY MAN IN THE END IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC. It's all a bit of a mess. Richie is a good guy now? The mafia bit all seems tacked on too.

What shits me though the is telegraphing like the bit with CBGB, showing people in the crowd at the Nasty Bits gig like Joey Ramone (who looked nothing like him) and other people like they're bad impersonators from 'Stars in their eyes'. The New York Dolls are also s**t.

This show seems to be for middle class people who buy over expensive reissues of classic album on vinyl thinking they're some kind of audiophile.

[/cynicism]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back