Society/Culture Violence in Society; Who is to blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are no words for how brave these guys are - maximum respect
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...-take-to-the-streets-for-women-rights/6284732

6284734-3x2-700x467.jpg

This thread got me in the mood for some Eminem. Have any of you guys listened to the track 'Kim'? Extremely powerful

Why is that?

As a father I'd be ashamed if my son ever thought that these sort of messages of hate and violence are okay because I listened to it.

And on Monday I just found out a women I work with lost her 20 year old daughter to some campaigner who could not handle being told it's over. Really hit home what this is all about once someone I know has actually gone through it.

People like Eminem are just ridiculous cartoons and it's scary to think anyone might take his message seriously and act it out.

As a father I'd be ashamed if my son ever thought that these sort of messages of hate and violence are okay because I listened to it.

And on Monday I just found out a women I work with lost her 20 year old daughter to some campaigner who could not handle being told it's over. Really hit home what this is all about once someone I know has actually gone through it.

People like Eminem are just ridiculous cartoons and it's scary to think anyone might take his message seriously and act it out.
If it's someone who actually understands his message then it's probably a good thing if they act it out.
I assume you're familiar with Stan, When the Music Stops, Sing for the Moment and other songs where he talks about what you're referring to?

I really think you and your girlfriend need each other
or maybe you just need to treat her better
I hope you get to read this letter, I just hope it reaches you in time
before you hurt yourself, I think that you'll be doing just fine
if you relax a little, I'm glad I inspire you but Stan
why are you so mad? Try to understand, that I do want you as a fan
I just don't want you to do some crazy s**t
I seen this one s**t on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick
Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge
and had his girlfriend in the trunk, and she was pregnant with his kid
and in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to
Come to think about it, his name was.. it was you
Damn

if you're ashamed about your son listening to Eminem and thinking his messages of hate and violence are ok, you'd probably also be ashamed of him listening to Pink and Taylor Swift as well?

Lots of angry and depressed people in the world for many reasons, music like Eminem can help them cope with that anger.

Last edited:

I don't see the billion plus people who have listened to Eminem over the years - all going out and committing violence.
If eminem connects with a lot of the youth, maybe it is just because he was from a broken home, just as more and more kids are also from broken homes. These kids can relate to eminem. The problem isn't Eminem, the problem is society.

Scale of reliability argument leads to subjectivity > common use. The opinions of supposed "dedicated experts" in a field are irrelevant when it comes to common use terms.

The Urban dictionary is what it is - for non-PC common use terms and phrases. It's still a dictionary, nonetheless.
Guff!

If it's someone who actually understands his message then it's probably a good thing if they act it out.
I assume you're familiar with Stan, When the Music Stops, Sing for the Moment and other songs where he talks about what you're referring to?

Lots of angry and depressed people in the world for many reasons, music like Eminem can help them cope with that anger.

Sorry, I just see it like people who struggle with their weight. It's an input/output problem. Put rubbish like Eminem into your body, rubbish is most likely going to come out your mouth or in your actions.

I fail to see how singing about Drugs, Satan, Rape, Slitting your wives throat and murdering your Mum is having any sort of positive influence on either society or potentially my son.

It's not limited to just him, but he is the example mentioned and I'm ashamed I ever found him entertaining or lined his pocket with the filth and bile he spits. Yes, not every song, but too many for my liking. If he rapped about the positive side of his rags to riches story then I'd have no issue, but he doesn't and clearly has no boundaries.

I suffer from depression and I'm not sure how Eminem is going to cheer me up when I'm down. It's negativity and that's whats wrong with the world!

I don't see the billion plus people who have listened to Eminem over the years - all going out and committing violence.
If eminem connects with a lot of the youth, maybe it is just because he was from a broken home, just as more and more kids are also from broken homes. These kids can relate to eminem. The problem isn't Eminem, the problem is society.

Kids can relate to wanting to murder their parents, rape their girlfriends and take drugs? Wow, society is in more trouble than I thought.

Sorry, I just see it like people who struggle with their weight. It's an input/output problem. Put rubbish like Eminem into your body, rubbish is most likely going to come out your mouth or in your actions.

I fail to see how singing about Drugs, Satan, Rape, Slitting your wives throat and murdering your Mum is having any sort of positive influence on either society or potentially my son.

It's not limited to just him, but he is the example mentioned and I'm ashamed I ever found him entertaining or lined his pocket with the filth and bile he spits. Yes, not every song, but too many for my liking. If he rapped about the positive side of his rags to riches story then I'd have no issue, but he doesn't and clearly has no boundaries.

I suffer from depression and I'm not sure how Eminem is going to cheer me up when I'm down. It's negativity and that's whats wrong with the world!
Why did you listen to Eminem in the first place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I guess you can understand why people might relate to it then.
What made you have the change of mind about his music?

I met my wife and she encouraged me to pursue a spiritual alternative to work through my issues rather than hate music.
The lifestyle I was leading was headed down a dark path. There was a time when I thought I could relate to what he was singing about and that what worries me most about my own son. Although hopefully he becomes the product of a loving home and doesn't feel the need to see someone like Eminem as a role model. Now as a father, husband and son I'm disgusted at the lack of respect he shows women in general. It's not entertainment, it's just vile.

I met my wife and she encouraged me to pursue a spiritual alternative to work through my issues rather than hate music.
The lifestyle I was leading was headed down a dark path. There was a time when I thought I could relate to what he was singing about and that what worries me most about my own son. Although hopefully he becomes the product of a loving home and doesn't feel the need to see someone like Eminem as a role model. Now as a father, husband and son I'm disgusted at the lack of respect he shows women in general. It's not entertainment, it's just vile.
Fair enough, I appreciate you sharing your experience.
FWIW, I listened to Eminem and I turned out pretty damn well :thumbsu:

Kids can relate to wanting to murder their parents, rape their girlfriends and take drugs? Wow, society is in more trouble than I thought.

That is the rap culture. That is what rappers predominately sing about, drugs, etc. Yet the crime rate is America is decreasing - at a time when the rap culture is at it's peak. It's not just kids that relate to eminem either, it is also grown men - and women. Are they all going out and raping, murdering and drug taking because of listening to eminem? No, they aren't.

That is the rap culture. That is what rappers predominately sing about, drugs, etc. Yet the crime rate is America is decreasing - at a time when the rap culture is at it's peak. It's not just kids that relate to eminem either, it is also grown men - and women. Are they all going out and raping, murdering and drug taking because of listening to eminem? No, they aren't.

Like I said, input/output. I don't want my son thinking speaking or rapping about such things as raping women, slitting your wives throat or killing your Mum is acceptable. I can't control the actions of others, but I can control the influences in his life till his old enough to make his own life choices.
Violence against women is not entertainment, funny or appropriate.

Violence against women is not entertainment, funny or appropriate.

You better not let your son turn on the TV, for violence against men is considered entertainment, funny and appropriate. Violence against men is a culture - a media-endorsed culture. Better keep him away from it unless you condone double standards.

I've been a hiphop head since the 80s and I like my share of ignorant songs. I liked Eminem when he first came out because he was funny. Never really liked the stuff about his wife or mother and at some point I stopped finding him funny and he got annoying really fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back