Society/Culture Virgins new priority boarding for service men and women

Remove this Banner Ad

Could they just give them the service discount they used to? The cynic in me says that the hoo ha about the troops in mainstream america was one of the most highly effective propaganda pushes in recent history. Paying sporting organisations to advertise the amount of dignity and respect you would garner, after your positioned 15 months in an absolute backwater in a country which at best doesnt want you there and at worst slaughter you. We're currently seeing a huge fuss and the NFL almost ripped apart due to one political motive being welcome because they paid for it, and another which was a stand by some NFL players be called disrespectful and a stain for doing what they believe in.

Not trying to be edgy. Absolutely i couldnt cope being in the army overseas. I think ild come back with that sort of tension and anxiety messed up. I think we need to do more for the people who do. Ild prefer not to send them in the first place, But if we do absolutely help them out. Not build giant memorials of the times we invaded countries. Actually go help them

What about the RSL? They lead the shunning of Vietnam veterans. Or is this another truth you can't face?

What about indigenous soldiers? They didn't even have the right to vote own land or any of that but served in world war two Korea and nam. Why no mention of the way the gov tret then. Why only mention citizens treatment of Vietnam vets?

Vietnam vets who were conscripted do deserve special treatment as long as we're honest about what was done to them.

In the battle of long tan the Americans knew nva was preparing to attack our base. We were pawns. The Americans wanted the nva to committ to battle then bomb the s**t out of them and us. These were conscripts mostly poor people without the contacts to avoid the draft and they deserve to be looked after. Millions protested against that war and were right.

Why no recognition of those in those protests trying to save lives and stop the slaughter. Protestors were locked up abused and harrassed by the gov and police. They were trying to save lives.

They deserve recognition as well
Whataboutwhataboutwhataboutwhatabout...

Something about chewing bubble gum and walking...

If you want to hop off your soap box for a second, there's a thread topic to bare in mind.

The US reverence for their military is part of what is wrong with the US. You almost can't be president without having served in the military at some point it is that revered. They do it at sporting events there but it depends on the sport. NHL do it, but not massively. NFL at a random point during the game ask anyone who served to stand and they get a round of applause. It's what makes them war monger so much, and why Trump wants to put so much money into the military.. because they think that is how they gain respect.
US Presidents who have served in the military are a rarity.

TBH it's a move that's about 70 years out of step. I'd be totally comfortable doing this for troops that served in World War II because of the scale and wide-ranging importance of that conflict and the fact that Australians owe a great deal of gratitude to all allied servicemen and women that served in the war. I just find it extremely hard to hold veterans of the following wars in the same stead. Not saying I don't respect them, but the ambiguity of the cold war conflicts really pale against the horrors of the second world war.

Some posters are hateful pricks, but I don't think there's general disrespect for military vets. I'd say the level of respect military want from the public is about on par with what we get for the most part. Would be nice if people didn't believe everything negative they read in the media about military members, but that's an issue across every facet of society. Otherwise, ANZAC Day (done properly) and some cheap Hungry Jacks is a pretty good deal.

I think that the majority of disrespect service members get stems from the way in which they are deployed overseas. It's splashback from criticism of governmental foreign policy and while the individual soldiers/aircrew/navy personel often don't deserve the flak they get they are seen as the very public face of bad policy.

I remember for a very long time Australia's Vietnam vets were virtual ghosts in our society due to public disgust at Australia's foreign policy decisions of the time. It was hard on them because public anger, which should have been directed at the c*nts who sent them to Vietnam, was instead directed at them, the public face of that deployment.

Extremists can't differentiate between the soldier and the powers who sent them.
I think that the majority of disrespect service members get stems from the way in which they are deployed overseas
Seems fair enough really, given Australia's foreign policy has revolved around the US for decades. The soldiers aren't the decision makers but they know what they've signed up for.

The cynic in me thinks this is a distraction from the $500 Million upgrade of the War Memorial.
Spending 500 million on anything in Canberra is a repulsive waste of money.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe if the bible didn't motivate catholic crazies like Hitler into starting the holocaust. Aviation technology would've hit a wall in the 1930's and we wouldn't be able to ferry people around the world to whinge about their gender.

All forms of extremism are traced back to the bible. It's pretty clear if not for the bible there would've never been a Holocaust or an sjw fringe left.

The follow-up question would be; without religion would people have just found another reason to justify their cause anyway?

Religion is certainly a convenient justification for those who wish to do bad things.

who the * wants to board a plane first? you're about to experience the most boring hours of your life, and you wanna extend that period of boredom by sitting and waiting for idiots who haven't gotten to the gate on time? throw in pain from sitting in uncomfortable seats with your shrapnel injury from 'Nam and you've got a really s**t time.

who the **** wants to board a plane first? you're about to experience the most boring hours of your life, and you wanna extend that period of boredom by sitting and waiting for idiots who haven't gotten to the gate on time? throw in pain from sitting in uncomfortable seats with your shrapnel injury from 'Nam and you've got a really s**t time.

I'd much rather get my bag in the overhead and my bum in the seat before yobbo one and yobbo two try and fit their very loosely termed "carry on" in the overhead when it doesn't fit.

But I'd also prefer to sit in the cockpit.

Soldiers are supposed to conduct independent inquires into whether each deployment meets the criteria for a just war now? How do you think they'll fare given the media ate up the WMD lines along with the rest of the public at the time? C'mon. lol.
Everyone knows you can turn in your rank slides and weapon to take a stand anytime you want, it's only through good fortune that nobody who has done that has been required to conduct a solo rescue mission of their former platoon as per the official policy requirement should something go sideways on the mission.

You think these Hollywood movies are made up? Please.

Soldiers are supposed to conduct independent inquires into whether each deployment meets the criteria for a just war now?
Not that most soldiers I've met are capable of independent thought, but this would hardly be necessary would it?

How do you think they'll fare given the media ate up the WMD lines along with the rest of the public at the time?
lollllllll, you swallowed that WMD s**t? Really?

Not that most soldiers I've met are capable of independent thought, but this would hardly be necessary would it?

lollllllll, you swallowed that WMD s**t? Really?
And how many have you met? You have the strangest disdain for military. I'd love to know where it comes from. In any case, of that's unnecessary, if people join the military in good faith, how are they responsibile for the decisions of the politicians which turn out - always later - to be crooked? You can't have it both ways. Unless you want do ignore reason and push an agenda.

What aspect of what I said gave any indication that I bought the WMD line?

Some of the inclusions on this list are pretty flimsy and other fall apart on first glance. It's more than I expected but it's still not many from the modern era.
10 of the last 13 served in the military to some degree. The last 2 have not, nor did Clinton.

If people join the military in good faith, how are they responsibile for the decisions of the politicians which turn out - always later - to be crooked? You can't have it both ways. Unless you want do ignore reason and push an agenda.
We've been allies with the US for 100 years and our military has spent the last 30 ******* up just about everything they've touched, so I'm a little skeptical anyone could join "in good faith" as you say.

Not to entirely undermine the work of the ADF but as far as armed conflict goes our actions over the last few decades are pretty ugly.

So back on topic: enjoy your cheap whopper while watching the Pies smash Essendon but let's leave it at that, no need to have a roll call of military staff every time I fly to Sydney.

What aspect of what I said gave any indication that I bought the WMD line?
I assumed you were including yourself in "the rest of the public" line- glad that I was wrong on this, I thought everyone could see through it.

We've been allies with the US for 100 years and our military has spent the last 30 ******* up just about everything they've touched, so I'm a little skeptical anyone could join "in good faith" as you say.
Well, we haven't been allies with the USA for a hundred years, and we haven't ****ed up everything we've touched, either in the last 30 years or otherwise.
I mean, as far as militaries go, joining the Australian one wouldn't be a terrible choice, in terms of survival chances, pay, after-service support or even faith in commanders.

Virgin is backing away from the ill considered proposal.

GUARDIAN
Good. It was a stupid idea.

10 of the last 13 served in the military to some degree. The last 2 have not, nor did Clinton.
To some degree is pretty broad if it includes George Bush Jnr in the National Guard and Reagan doing glorified USO - recording movies about the army back in the US.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back