News Virtual AGM 12th February from 5.30pm.

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think diversifying is smart. We are offering and showcasing more by keeping it simple, keeping it smart.

Apply for grants to suit a bid and profit. Retrofit when needed or don’t. A playing surface is a playing surface when it comes to training, utilise and manufacture from within.

Only issue I have and I don’t know so therefore it is simply a worry, is that we are abandoning our remote Indigenous training facility.

I apologise if this has been broached but would appreciate some clarification on this.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks like two great appointments, some more gender diversity that warrants their positions.
Yep. Great to see our board more diverse, without resorting to quotas. No argument about merit here. Now if we can just get rid of Cardone things will look even better.

Looks like there has been decent tweaking of the precinct redevelopment plans between 2018 and 2021.

The PAACE has been dropped, but the soccer field and the high performance centre are the other big changes and looks like the new indoor facilities will now be built next to the existing indoor facility and extends nearly all the way back towards Seventh Avenue and will have some basketball courts inside it. The 2018 new high performance centre might be in that new building but Richo didn't reveal much when he put the slides up.

Renders from this 2018 thread.

1613270812904.png

From Friday night's slides.

1613271187755.png

1613271236935.png

Last edited:

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Completely disagree. Make Port Adelaide the largest club, regardless of sport. Have all sports playing under the one banner and all of a sudden you have an army, not just a community.

Also imagine the corporate appeal when a prospective sponsor can see that not only do they get exposure from footy, but right the way down to grassroots soccer/netball/basketball. All of a sudden we name our price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t pissant clubs like Barcelona FC, Boca Juniors etc have numerous sporting teams? They go ok.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I've had a bit of time to reflect on this idea and my initial skepticism has waned signficantly.

I reckon that opening up the Alberton Oval precinct (known as the Queen and Albert Oval in the 1870s) to other sports at the highest level would be totally in line with what the original owner of that land, former Port Adelaide Football Club Chairman John Formby, had in mind when he donated that parcel of land to the then Queenstown and Alberton District Council for use as a sporting ground for local residents and wharf workers.

That precinct now hosts a lawn bowls club, a cricket club (and a croquet club previously) so it is already not just a footy venue. With government funding support the notion of upgrading it to a multi use high quality sporting centre for the broader Port Adelaide community makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. Not forgetting that much of the high performance focus of an upgraded Alan Scott Centre is entirely relevant to the needs of other sports such as soccer and basketball.

And its not just a hollow vision either. Soccer and basketball are the perfect sports to target in providing much needed upgraded facilities to the community not just because of the high participation levels (especially amongst kids) but because the existing facilities in the immediate vicinity (excluding St Clair) are in need of major upgrading. A linked sporting precinct with some shared common use facilities is the most cost effective and efficient way of delivering that at a time when private and public sector budgets are going to be in recovery mode for the next decade.

Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.
If we can leverage additional funding, I can see some sense in it. In time we can then gain enough revenue to construct the indigenous centre, a full sized footy field, etc (reference REH's post on the next page identifying changes to the 2018 and current graphics, and what appears to be in and what appears to be out).

The indigenous centre of excellence was KT's baby. With him and Pauly V moving on, it's no surprise it's been shelved.
This is correct. KT was into it up to his eyebrows, especially in 2018 when he was under maximum pressure from the board for the Club finding itself bereft of a JMS to go with Oak.

March 2018 was when it came crashing down, and REH’s post just above with the then visual plan of KT’s precinct redevelopment have taken me back there.

KT and Andrew Hunter had just come back from Beijing where they had been given, they thought and with good reason, the nod by State Grid Corporation of China for a A$20 million grant, not loan, to build the new complex.
Then geopolitics stepped in.
This coincided with the state election, for which Labor and X pledged smaller amounts.
It was all shining bright, then the sun suddenly went out.

It was a great shame as State Grid were very keen. I kept up contact with them, fixed a meeting for Andrew H with their HK director in July 2018, but the Beijing / Canberra / Washington atmosphere had turned too toxic.

This proves what the Club could do back then, despite the odds against - basically persuade the PRC Govt. to fund the physical future of PAFC. You will recall Koch’s verbiage along this line at the time.

This proves what the Club can do.

Christine Zeitz adds to our board’s scope and flexibility, as well as its IQ.
Northrop Grumman will not, as things stand, be interested in our China Strategy, of course ... but what about Singapore, Japan, South Korea?
She is based, I see, in Canberra.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not enamoured with bringing soccer (?????) and hoops into the venue.

The Alberton precinct needs to remain solely a footy based centre of excellence, not diluted by peripheral matters.

By all means include partnerships with other sports as a part of the Club collective and community branding, but keep them separate from our home ground ie. link up with the 36ers, Adelaide United, etc and keep them at their own venues.
Benefits
1] Corporate appeal
2] Broader fundraising base
3] Greases government & community wheels = potential grants
4] Increases the Post Adelaide brand to players & followers of other sports
5] Increases viability with 52 week usage

I am very much OK with it.

Last edited:

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Benefits
1] Corporate appeal
2] Broader fundraising base
3] Greases government & community wheels = potential grants
4] Increases the Post Adelaide brand to players & followers of other sports
5] Increases viability with 52 week usage

I am very much OK with it.

I'm OK with hoops but not with giving a leg up to soccer. Unlike in the euro countries, basketball and soccer aren't fighting over participation and players, ones indoor ones outdoor sport they go together. Here we are inviting our direct competitive code next door, whilst I get the idea and I'm fine with growth the soccer field is a mistake. Make it a mini football field for u12's, perfect for auskick etc on weekends, keep that field space football related.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I'm OK with hoops but not with giving a leg up to soccer. Unlike in the euro countries, basketball and soccer aren't fighting over participation and players, ones indoor ones outdoor sport they go together. Here we are inviting our direct competitive code next door, whilst I get the idea and I'm fine with growth the soccer field is a mistake. Make it a mini football field for u12's, perfect for auskick etc on weekends, keep that field space football related.
It's really an AFLX field. That Xtreme Premiership won by the Crows burns deep in the guts at Alberton.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I loved Adelaide City

it was a real shame they were striped from national representation, the best club
They weren't stripped from national representation. Bob D'Ottavi threw a tantrum and tried to use withdrawing from the NSL as leverage to get money out of Soccer Australia. They called his bluff and Adelaide City disappeared.

The SA Soccer Federation invented Adelaide United in a couple of months from the top players from the local Premier League and they had more success than City had in years. Actually were capable of drawing a crowd.

They weren't stripped from national representation. Bob D'Ottavi threw a tantrum and tried to use withdrawing from the NSL as leverage to get money out of Soccer Australia. They called his bluff and Adelaide City disappeared.

The SA Soccer Federation invented Adelaide United in a couple of months from the top players from the local Premier League and they had more success than City had in years. Actually were capable of drawing a crowd.

thanks for the history lesson.

their home base is now Oakden, so I would say they disappeared.

I always thought they were removed like the rest to remove the ethnic origins of clubs in the National competition.

I guess that’s another argument who’s better City or Utd.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
thanks for the history lesson.

their home base is now Oakden, so I would say they disappeared.

I always thought they were removed like the rest to remove the ethnic origins of clubs in the National competition.

I guess that’s another argument who’s better City or Utd.
I miss the Adelaide City being in the NSL days... that was a real club and a real comp. Nothing better than big games between South Melb, Melb Knights, Adelaide City, Sydney Olympic, Sydney United etc. The ethnicity brought real passion.

Adelaide United are manufactured, much like the crows.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I miss the Adelaide City being in the NSL days... that was a real club and a real comp. Nothing better than big games between South Melb, Melb Knights, Adelaide City, Sydney Olympic, Sydney United etc. The ethnicity brought real passion.

Agreed 100%.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's funny how we remember things. I still feel like AC were pretty much kicked out.

Great club

They weren't kicked out, they left. D'Ottavi told Soccer Australia that he wasn't going to put any more money in to finance the 2003-04 season so the members voted to pull out of the comp and try and come back later.

In mid 2003, lead by Johnny Warren, he helped get federal government approval/funding for the Crawford Independent Soccer Review Committee set up in 2003. The 2003-04 season was the final season of NSL. There was no national comp in 2004-05 season, and then the A-league was set up and teams could only enter the new league for 2005-06 if they met the criterias the final Crawford Report recommend. Adelaide City couldn't get close to meeting them all. From 31st August 2003.

Founding national soccer league member Adelaide City Force has pulled out of the league.

Force President Bob D'Ottavi said the decision to withdraw from the league for at least the coming season was overwhelmingly voted for by club members at a meeting in Adelaide.

It will be the first season since the NSL began in 1977 that the club, which has won three championships and came third last season, will not be a participant. D'Ottavi, who has personally put millions of dollars into the club to help it survive in recent seasons, said he could not afford to continue doing so.

"We are out of the NSL," D'Ottavi told AAP. "We do not believe we have got the finances to meet our budget. "I am not prepared to keep putting in money, I have run out, I can't put in any more."

He said no one else had come forward who was prepared to help back the team.

D'Ottavi also said Soccer Australia had recently asked the clubs to put in extra money because it had not been able to secure a sponsor for the league, but was not willing to give the clubs any control in return. He said the Force would field a team in Adelaide's Premier League this season, and he would not rule out a return to the NSL in future seasons.

Players who were contracted to Adelaide would have their contracts honoured, and could play in the premier league, or would be transferred to other NSL clubs, he said. He said today's meeting was emotional.
"Every good thing comes to an end, I suppose," he said. NSL general manager Stefan Kamasz said Soccer Australia was shocked and disappointed. "We're a little saddened because Adelaide City Force are one of the founding members of the competition," he said.

Back