Society/Culture Virtue signalling

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems semantics to argue that prison labor is the same as slavery - it would have been far easier to just post stats on the huge increase in black incarceration rates under the Clintons (largely as a result of privatization of prisons under the Clinton administration).

It's the main reason progressives never liked Hillary and why it's always amusing when "but, Hillary" is used as a defence of Trump.

Seems semantics to argue that prison labor is the same as slavery - it would have been far easier to just post stats on the huge increase in black incarceration rates under the Clintons (largely as a result of privatization of prisons under the Clinton administration).

It's the main reason progressives never liked Hillary and why it's always amusing when "but, Hillary" is used as a defence of Trump.
As the article makes clear, prison labour is the same as slavery due to the loophole created by the 13th amendment, which permits slavery in cases where people have been convicted of a crime. It doesn't say that prison labour isn't slavery - it says it is the one area slavery is legal.

The high rate of incarceration of black people in the US, mostly for petty crimes, coupled with the fact that many things are manufactured by prisoners over there, has effectively continued the practice of slavery in the US.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/prison-labor-in-america/406177/

As the article makes clear, prison labour is the same as slavery due to the loophole created by the 13th amendment, which permits slavery in cases where people have been convicted of a crime. It doesn't say that prison labour isn't slavery - it says it is the one area slavery is legal.

The high rate of incarceration of black people in the US, mostly for petty crimes, coupled with the fact that many things are manufactured by prisoners over there, has effectively continued the practice of slavery in the US.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/prison-labor-in-america/406177/
Slightly different to capture someone from another continent, bring them to your house and make them work despite them having done nothing wrong.. to using murderers as labour because they killed a bunch of people. Not that I condone slavery, but even forced community service in Australia is technically slavery and that's done to escape a conviction.

Slightly different to capture someone from another continent, bring them to your house and make them work despite them having done nothing wrong.. to using murderers as labour because they killed a bunch of people. Not that I condone slavery, but even forced community service in Australia is technically slavery and that's done to escape a conviction.
Most black people incarcerated for crime in the US are for petty crimes like drug possession. Clinton's citation of her time in Arkansas was in the book It Takes a Village in which she made strong cases for the three strikes act, the very same which resulted in a ballooning in the rate of incarceration in the 90s.

Renters are struck on grid though - it creates a death spiral for the grid that the poor, who can't afford their own homes, are left to pay.

Apparently there are schemes for renters in the works as well, the landlord and tenant come to an agreement on increased rent which will save money for both. This should be the future.

That, or solar powerboards which would allow tenants to run everything but light switches, is an idea which comes to mind.

Most black people incarcerated for crime in the US are for petty crimes like drug possession. Clinton's citation of her time in Arkansas was in the book It Takes a Village in which she made strong cases for the three strikes act, the very same which resulted in a ballooning in the rate of incarceration in the 90s.
I'm sure they had white slaves too, calm your farm.

Apparently there are schemes for renters in the works as well, the landlord and tenant come to an agreement on increased rent which will save money for both. This should be the future.

That, or solar powerboards which would allow tenants to run everything but light switches, is an idea which comes to mind.
The issue for renters & low income earners is one that policy makers seems to be quite a way off from reaching consensus - a friend of mine has carved himself out a nice little niche in the solar industry delivering off-grid solutions in light industrial areas in fringe suburbs.

I'm sure they had white slaves too, calm your farm.
North Africa did have a substantial number of Irish slaves.
There are more slaves in the world now than at any other point in human history.

Roaring slave trade in Libya right now - I wonder how that came to be.
Whabbists are it again.
Lucky they're protected by 'old money' in the US.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue for renters & low income earners is one that policy makers seems to be quite a way off from reaching consensus - a friend of mine has carved himself out a nice little niche in the solar industry delivering off-grid solutions in light industrial areas in fringe suburbs.

What kind of off grid solutions specifically? I was looking for the solar powerboard thing but it doesn't seem to exist or I can't find it.

What kind of off grid solutions specifically? I was looking for the solar powerboard thing but it doesn't seem to exist or I can't find it.
Self-sufficiency - peak loading times are a challenge still but it is possible. It's not just generation but clever use of power which contributes, smart devices, etc. I'm only relaying information second hand so I'm sure there are people on here more familiar with these set ups than I am.

I've done a little work in the IOT space and there are ways to reduce overall power usage even further as devices become more ubiquitous.

Self-sufficiency - peak loading times are a challenge still but it is possible. It's not just generation but clever use of power which contributes, smart devices, etc. I'm only relaying information second hand so I'm sure there are people on here more familiar with these set ups than I am.

I've done a little work in the IOT space and there are ways to reduce overall power usage even further as devices become more ubiquitous.

Yes, some of these devices seem to be marketed primarily to campers and off-grid enthusiasts/survivalists. It's almost like they haven't realised there's perhaps a demand for everyday people who might want to charge a phone with a solar panel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back