Injury Viv Michie

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one is writing him off completely. There were a lot of angry supporters on here though upset that Sheridan was getting games ahead of Michie. Lucky we were winning or the match committee would have been lynched.

Anyway all I am saying is match committee (i.e. Ross) knows best. If Sheridan is getting games ahead of Michie, there is probably a good reason for it.

And truth be told, not making Melbourne's 25 when there are so many duds running around for a 4th year player is not a good sign. Needs to rebound or will find himself out of a job before he knows it. I personally hope he can bounce back.

3rd game player dropped!
Must be a crab :rolleyes:

Gee some people never stop over-reacting...
I also love how everyone's observational 1 liner views somehow amounts to over-reacting. I see no tl;dr posts vindicating club decisions or posts of similar ilk here? No cheap shots either? People here genuinely want to see him succeed. So get off the podium and let people observe without copping your little soap box back-handers.

He had a nice draft pedigree and Lyon named him as an exciting talent when he first came to the club.
The thing for me was when he finally started playing WAFL he was ripping it up 30+ possies a week. He looked smart and strong and assured around clearances.
He certainly looked a more mature player than some like Sheridan who were getting games in front of him. Without being privy to the inside info all we can do is wonder why he wasn't getting game time with us. Obviously he is lacking something that we the punters aren't privy to. Perhaps its just fitness, maybe his aerobic capacity isn't up it at this point. Who knows.

lol how everyone is saying michie was over rated. Hes still young and hes only played what 3 games of AFL footy? 3 games, geez people are harsh.

The debate last year was that we could afford to trade Barlow because Mitchie could step in. That he was AFL ready and only being held back by opportunity. Sounds like an over-rating benchmark.

The reason others were getting games ahead of Michie had absolutely nothing to do with Lyon rating those players above Michie.
They got games ahead of him because they were more suited to the position/roles Lyon needed filled.

Michie is more of an inside mid, we didn't need that type of player to come in.
We needed more outside run and carry.

Only downside to our club having such good depth is decent young players will start to look elsewhere if they feel they are AFL ready and not getting enough games.
Sucks to see decent young players go elsewhere when they would be very handy for us if they stuck around a few more years.

As long as there's a thread about him here I guess. It is unusual to have an active thread for an opposition player I agree though, I'm just as interested in tracking the careers of Roberton and Palmer.

At least with those other blokes, they've had a season or two away from the club.

Michie has only just started playing for another team, so it's still a bit new.

But yeah, I'm the same... it's interesting to see how guys that have left the club have gone. Particularly guys like Michie, as quite a few folks on here (me included) were looking forward to seeing him run around in a Freo guernsey. Makes Melbourne games more interesting to watch... which isn't saying a lot really.

Some of the other boards have threads for past players, which I think are a good idea. Past players still playing, that is.

Some people can absolutely dominate at WAFL/SANFL/VFL level and struggle to get a touch in the big time.

There are obvious exceptions in Barlow/Pods etc, but I have never seen the potential in Michie that many here have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a nice draft pedigree and Lyon named him as an exciting talent when he first came to the club.
The thing for me was when he finally started playing WAFL he was ripping it up 30+ possies a week. He looked smart and strong and assured around clearances.
He certainly looked a more mature player than some like Sheridan who were getting games in front of him. Without being privy to the inside info all we can do is wonder why he wasn't getting game time with us. Obviously he is lacking something that we the punters aren't privy to. Perhaps its just fitness, maybe his aerobic capacity isn't up it at this point. Who knows.
But how would someone like Sheridan go at the Dees? Though I've really started to appreciate how he gets into contests, Sheridan's still being used as that additional winger – someone to collect the outside ball, get some space, and use his skills to hit the 50. Considering how terrible Melbourne are at keeping possession, honestly when you watch them it's only a matter of time and the players know it and opposition teams feed off it, I'd imagine he'd be no better off than Viv. And that's despite the fact Sheridan certainly doesn't look out of place out there for Freo.

I think Viv's just unfit. The same thing happened against the Cats. And he's done it for the Demons too. He looks like he has concrete boots.

The reason others were getting games ahead of Michie had absolutely nothing to do with Lyon rating those players above Michie.
They got games ahead of him because they were more suited to the position/roles Lyon needed filled.

Michie is more of an inside mid, we didn't need that type of player to come in.
We needed more outside run and carry.

Only downside to our club having such good depth is decent young players will start to look elsewhere if they feel they are AFL ready and not getting enough games.
Sucks to see decent young players go elsewhere when they would be very handy for us if they stuck around a few more years.

Not really sure about that statement. We drafted Sylvia and Ballard, and even Grey, who all look capable of playing inside and have solid bodies capable of winning the contested ball.

Viv was back in the side against Hawthorn and showed by he should have been in alot earlier. Guys like Mckenzie Blease and tapscott all got games before him. Had 19 disposals and showed why he will be a handy player for us in the future. Missed 5 weeks with a broken cheekbone which didn't help but he is starting to get back into some fine form.
As I said been very stiff not be in the side earlier then usual. Will be a good player for within next couple of years.

Viv was back in the side against Hawthorn and showed by he should have been in alot earlier. Guys like Mckenzie Blease and tapscott all got games before him. Had 19 disposals and showed why he will be a handy player for us in the future. Missed 5 weeks with a broken cheekbone which didn't help but he is starting to get back into some fine form.
As I said been very stiff not be in the side earlier then usual. Will be a good player for within next couple of years.

Most Freo posters have written him off. Some who have based this on 1 sub game.

Thank for the update. Was wondering what happened to him. So many people had him a near certainty for Melbourne's and a lot other teams best 22...

Thank for the update. Was wondering what happened to him. So many people had him a near certainty for Melbourne's and a lot other teams best 22...

Reckon he will be as of next year. Roos has spent most of the year getting to terms with the list and getting an understanding of who's a list clogger and who has something to contribute going forward. Do admit I had him penciled in for more games than he has played, evidently his fitness was worse than expected.

Most?

A few very loud ones sure. Squeaky wheels don't mean majority.

From memory weren't we all really pleased with what he showed in his one brief appearance? A few people had concerns over his fitness (the big knock on him) but mostly I felt the consensus was pretty pro-Viv. The fact we all want him to succeed at the Dees reflects this surely?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back