Injury Viv Michie

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Freo posters have written him off. Some who have based this on 1 sub game.

Yeah, nah.

Some people (like me) just get pissed off with the god like status that players like Michie, Silvagni, Morabito etc. get round here for having dominant WAFL games. I think that Michies form at Melbourne pretty well validates letting him go (whether or not the club had a choice).

Yeah, nah.

Some people (like me) just get pissed off with the god like status that players like Michie, Silvagni, Morabito etc. get round here for having dominant WAFL games. I think that Michies form at Melbourne pretty well validates letting him go (whether or not the club had a choice).
How can you fairly judge those players though? Morabito's been MIA for two years after three injuries that could've ended his career. He's played two AFL games without the big pre-season and natural progression to the 22. Silvagni's had one of the best defenders of the last 6 or 7 years keeping him out. Silvagni can't be begrudged for never having a string of five, six games with the same five defenders – I think that's shown to be a really vital part of Freo's success, just having that puzzle click together down the back, just having the same personnel and showing some solidity. Michie had some foot issues reportedly not helped by the attitude of the club. If this was 2001 or even 2009, Michie would've played 10 games for Freo instead of one. He couldn't have too easy of a crack in a Grand Final midfield, really.

I used to dismiss WAFL form a bit but honestly, it correlated with Crozier stepping up. Those few games where he was playing like a gun for Peel showed how eager he was to get in the AFL side and how good he could be. I think it's a decent barometer.

It's not the Sunday League.

How can you fairly judge those players though? Morabito's been MIA for two years after three injuries that could've ended his career. He's played two AFL games without the big pre-season and natural progression to the 22. Silvagni's had one of the best defenders of the last 6 or 7 years keeping him out. Silvagni can't be begrudged for never having a string of five, six games with the same five defenders – I think that's shown to be a really vital part of Freo's success, just having that puzzle click together down the back, just having the same personnel and showing some solidity. Michie had some foot issues reportedly not helped by the attitude of the club. If this was 2001 or even 2009, Michie would've played 10 games for Freo instead of one. He couldn't have too easy of a crack in a Grand Final midfield, really.

I used to dismiss WAFL form a bit but honestly, it correlated with Crozier stepping up. Those few games where he was playing like a gun for Peel showed how eager he was to get in the AFL side and how good he could be. I think it's a decent barometer.

It's not the Sunday League.

Well said. Anyone who says Michie lacked fitness has to be kidding themselves. He was racking up over 30 possies in dome games. Sure WAFL fitness isn't the same as AFL but the only way to get AFL fit Is to get the opportunity to play. He was decent as tge sub against Geelong and could have gone with his game. Sherro was getting AFL games and didn't have the same impact at WAFL level.

Well said. Anyone who says Michie lacked fitness has to be kidding themselves. He was racking up over 30 possies in dome games. Sure WAFL fitness isn't the same as AFL but the only way to get AFL fit Is to get the opportunity to play. He was decent as tge sub against Geelong and could have gone with his game. Sherro was getting AFL games and didn't have the same impact at WAFL level.

Ballard is continually racking up 30 plus a game and is leading Peels disposals and would be the favourite for Peels b and f
Why doesnt Ballard attract the same hero worship that Michie did?
Ballard is the perfect shape for todays big bodied mid

Interestingly enough, I don't think Viv was or still is fit enough. I think he's a smart footballer, a real natural player who has nice skills and knows what and when to do things, but I've never seen a player look so dragged and glugged behind. He reminded me of the first three games of the year you play as a kid. I saw his game for the Dees against the Eagles this year and it was the same thing: slow moving legs, that high-tilted head, running non-stop but only getting involved when the play came near him, not when he went to it.

I like the guy a lot and he could be a real asset, but his fitness is questionable.

Ballard is continually racking up 30 plus a game and is leading Peels disposals and would be the favourite for Peels b and f
I would have upgraded him instead of Menengola. Think Ballard has a bit of improving to do in his game though. His kicking isn't always great by the sounds of it and Michie used to kick goals when he went forward. Personally I think Ballard will be a better AFL footballer than Michie.

I would have upgraded him instead of Menengola. Think Ballard has a bit of improving to do in his game though. His kicking isn't always great by the sounds of it and Michie used to kick goals when he went forward. Personally I think Ballard will be a better AFL footballer than Michie.

Ballard will be a very good AFL player,Michie was a good WAFL player.

There is every chance Viv will be a good AFL player, no reason why he wouldn't.

However, if he was still on Freo's list he would be way down the pecking order.

Yeah, nah.

Some people (like me) just get pissed off with the god like status that players like Michie, Silvagni, Morabito etc. get round here for having dominant WAFL games.
Don't now about Michie, but in Morabito's case people just expect him continue where he started in 2010 (or hope for it) and Silvagni status was based on his great form his few games in 2011 (claimed a few scalps back then), but most are of his bandwagon now anyway. And generally most people on here have exceptational high hopes on our own players and club.

Ballard will be a very good AFL player,Michie was a good WAFL player.
I don't think injury has helped Michie's cause, but in truth he just hasn't been able to make the leap. Bit like guys like Horsley, Jay Van berlo and other guys you really think will make it but don't. Don't seem to have that extra card up their sleeves.

Well said. Anyone who says Michie lacked fitness has to be kidding themselves. He was racking up over 30 possies in dome games. Sure WAFL fitness isn't the same as AFL but the only way to get AFL fit Is to get the opportunity to play.

From memory, I remember the WAFL threads here lauding Viv absolutely killing it in first halves having the ball on a string, then dropping off significantly in the second.

Whether this was fitness related or he got extra attention by the opposition I'll leave to the people who were actually at the game, but I was under the impression fitness was part of it...

From memory, I remember the WAFL threads here lauding Viv absolutely killing it in first halves having the ball on a string, then dropping off significantly in the second.

Whether this was fitness related or he got extra attention by the opposition I'll leave to the people who were actually at the game, but I was under the impression fitness was part of it...
He usually got tagged. I think fitness was an issue as well. Ross always said he is WAFL fit but not AFL fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. Sherro has been consistently good at WAFL level. He just (maybe because of age and 'roll') can't replicate it at AFL level. Michie does/did lack fitness. His two way running was near non existent. Kid has talent, he's had injuries, he may turn out to be one that got away even. But based on what he's shown at two clubs (one of which is in a rebuild and he's still not getting consistent games) he simply hasn't demanded he be picked.

Interestingly enough, I don't think Viv was or still is fit enough. I think he's a smart footballer, a real natural player who has nice skills and knows what and when to do things, but I've never seen a player look so dragged and glugged behind. He reminded me of the first three games of the year you play as a kid. I saw his game for the Dees against the Eagles this year and it was the same thing: slow moving legs, that high-tilted head, running non-stop but only getting involved when the play came near him, not when he went to it.

I like the guy a lot and he could be a real asset, but his fitness is questionable.

Yeah, that just about covers it. I don't think we can fully appreciate the level of fitness required to play midfield at AFL, particularly the way RTB sets us up.

Even in that one AFL game, you could see he didn't have that elite fitness. You pick it up if you watch the player carefully and not the ball, it's about those second/third efforts. The players that really have it at that level will keep impacting the contest (for good or bad), he just didn't have that.

Now he might build that tank, there's still time, but he certainly doesn't have naturally. Most everything else you want from a footy player, yeah, he's got it and I hope we see a bit of it at the Dees.

Would like you impressions on Menengola Salim. Sometimes think he is a good prospect, other times think he is missing an ingredient or two.

Going against the popular opinion on Sam in my humble opinion he has the tools to make it
We all know he has a huge tank but the hit on him has been his disposal
I've seen a lot of him at Peel and I havent found his disposal all that bad.
He is a big unit and is amongst the leaders for disposals at Peel even though he has been playing as a stopper and with limited games due to injury
Strong clearance player with plenty of courage.
I find it baffling he has never been given the chance to wear a Freo jumper in any game incl pre season
Also he is a best mate of Fyfes so if keeping Sam on the list keeps Fyfe happy I'm all for it:D

Going against the popular opinion on Sam in my humble opinion he has the tools to make it
We all know he has a huge tank but the hit on him has been his disposal
I've seen a lot of him at Peel and I havent found his disposal all that bad.
He is a big unit and is amongst the leaders for disposals at Peel even though he has been playing as a stopper and with limited games due to injury
Strong clearance player with plenty of courage.
I find it baffling he has never been given the chance to wear a Freo jumper in any game incl pre season
Also he is a best mate of Fyfes so if keeping Sam on the list keeps Fyfe happy I'm all for it:D

We would have to keep Sam on the list for 3 years because Fyfey's free agency comes up then.:eek:
I saw Menengola play a blinder in a final for East Freo when the sent him to the backline and he seems to have done ok for Peel when he went into the clearances. As you said he is a great size and has a great tank, but iirc in his pre-season match opportunities he showed very little. Early in the season I guess. Anyway, like you Ross rates him so that can't hurt his prospects.
Thanks for your opinion, I haven't seen any games myself this year.

Ballard sounds like a good prospect. Talking Michie up is irrelevant he is a good player and even you said to me during a game last year that Michie looked better than Sherro and Sherro has been given more opportunities even when he had some quiet games last season.

Didn't Menegola play one or two games of pre-season? He definitely played against the Eagles in Joondalup, right?

Ballard sounds like a good prospect. Talking Michie up is irrelevant he is a good player and even you said to me during a game last year that Michie looked better than Sherro and Sherro has been given more opportunities even when he had some quiet games last season.

Both Ballard and Menegola are leading Sherro in Peel disposals.Sherro has had a good run in the seniors without showing a great deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back