Volunteer doorman of 24 years was sacked - Bucks' Mum weighs in!

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems unfazed and Bucks mum had a nice word about him.
Nothing to see here.

I would would have framed it as a "feel good" story.

We always seem to get our backs up when the media invent some idiotic headline which does not even vaguely represent the actual story and if not totally misrepresenting the facts, distorts them to enable a headline which is for all intents a falsehood.

Then we see it right here on our board from one of our own.
Exactly the same thing.

Admittedly Phantom777 just grabbed the Extreme Black n White forums headline, but no doubt had read the story before posting.

To be fair, he was fairly intimidating...

download.jpgthe mountain.jpg

I don't like reading things like this and agree the club has lost a lot of its 'soul' over the last 5 years. I used to attend all games but young kids put an end to that, went last year and was just shocked at the lack of atmosphere. All of the people who used to make noise, chant etc were gone and we were coming off a grand final and in the running for the flag.

But to put it into context the world has moved on. Security is far more important these days and I imagine an untrained, middle to elderly man doing the job is no longer ideal. I suspect he gets replaced by security. Other issue is OH&S, he might be a volunteer but the club still needs to meet the requirements.

I'm more interested in the current performance of our pool guy.

The last time we got that appointment wrong it ended in Legionella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But to put it into context the world has moved on. Security is far more important these days and I imagine an untrained, middle to elderly man doing the job is no longer ideal. I suspect he gets replaced by security. Other issue is OH&S, he might be a volunteer but the club still needs to meet the requirements.
I would say this is the case. With a huge focus on integrity across the AFL, they are trying to take any neutrality out of it and make sure only accredited people get into the rooms. So having an independant guard there helps with this rather than someone who will let people in because they are familiar with them.

Dare say this will be happening to all all clubs sooner or later.

Of course side by side is just a marketing phrase. This is a footy club but also a business and it is an effective phrase for the Collingwood brand.

I don’t care about these things personally, I love Collingwood and I love watching us play and supporting us but who cares about the term “side by side” all us fans should care about is winning. If you’re time is up it’s up.. side by side are words that we have in our song. That’s it.

I am stunned about this though. The bloke volunteered for so long, why the hell would you sale him for!

For what it’s worth he sounds very grateful and content, only really the last sentence about side by side which doesn’t really fit the rest of his post.
No one with a role at the club is there forever, particularly in the case of volunteers in what has become a professional sporting organisation. Wish him all the best, but everyone’s time will come to leave and pursue other interests.

For what it’s worth he sounds very grateful and content, only really the last sentence about side by side which doesn’t really fit the rest of his post.
No one with a role at the club is there forever, particularly in the case of volunteers in what has become a professional sporting organisation. Wish him all the best, but everyone’s time will come to leave and pursue other interests.
Except of course Ponce de Le Ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back