Voss, hird and Buckley again: coaching edition

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
So now that Buckley she coaching career is basically done who was the best coach of the three?

Does their coaching contributions change how you rate them in regards to overall football cotnribution?

Do you think clubs will now learn from hiring favourite sons to head coaching positions only a couple of years after retirement?

I will rate crazy Vossy the best coach simply cos he didn't take one of the youngest premiership teams of all time and completely dismantled it. And yet Buckley still rates higher then Hirdy for obvious reasons.

After their playing careers I had them ranked 1) Voss, 2) Hird and 3) Buckley.

As for their contribution to football it's now 1) Voss, 2) Buckley 3) Hird.

As for the last question. The answer is No. Pendlebury will be coaching the pies in 5 years time. Just like favourite sons Buckley and Shaw before him.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
if we're talking purely about coaching, Hird was pretty good.
Had the team playing a good balance of defence and attack.
Our skills were pretty good during his tenure. We won on the road (not our strong suit), and we took it up to some decent teams.

Dependent on your view of his role in the supplements program (naively negligent vs main peg), he's either the best or worst of the three for the damage inflicted on the club

I will say of the 3, he's left the club in a better shape list wise

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Our skills were pretty good during his tenure. We won on the road (not our strong suit), and we took it up to some decent teams.

Dependent on your view of his role in the supplements program (naively negligent vs main peg), he's either the best or worst of the three for the damage inflicted on the club

Admittedly it is hard to rank Hird given the unique variables. The bombers should of been playing in prelims and grand finals during the 2013-2016 period. not sure the bombers list at the end of hirds tenure is better then the current pies list. The pies list is solid. They just aren't playing with any spirit.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Admittedly it is hard to rank Hird given the unique variables. The bombers should of been playing in prelims and grand finals during the 2013-2016 period. not sure the bombers list at the end of hirds tenure is better then the current pies list. The pies list is solid. They just aren't playing with any spirit.

Are you kidding?
Without the scandal the bombers would have had Hooker Hurley and Carlisle with Daniher as their 4 key pillars with Hibberd and Crameri as capable second talls. Really just missing some midfield depth

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
So now that Buckley she coaching career is basically done who was the best coach of the three?

Does their coaching contributions change how you rate them in regards to overall football cotnribution?

Do you think clubs will now learn from hiring favourite sons to head coaching positions only a couple of years after retirement?

I will rate crazy Vossy the best coach simply cos he didn't take one of the youngest premiership teams of all time and completely dismantled it. And yet Buckley still rates hire then Hirdy for obvious reasons.

As for the last question. The answer is No. Pendlebury will be coaching the pies in 5 years time. Just like favourite sons Buckley and Shaw before him.

A Freudian slip!

I understand the romance side of their choices to Coach where they are the favourite sons, but clearly this was a horrible decision on all fronts. They had to work elsewhere and earn their stripes. Buckley in particular should have taken the North job when it was made available for him.

As players they are incredibly hard to split, as they all brought something different to the table. But as far as a contribution to the game I agree with your rankings as Hird would have be to dead last.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Could say the same for us this year. Blew two very good leads and cost us 8pts in recent weeks. We'd be top 6 if we close them out.
the pies list has a lot of issues imo. Not least of which is depth in the key positions and young stars coming through

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

This is a joke right?

We're talking about the same James Hird yeah?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

All 3 have had 'unique variables' though.

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
if we're talking purely about coaching, Hird* was pretty good.

*Bomber Thompson

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Are you kidding?
Without the scandal the bombers would have had Hooker Hurley and Carlisle with Daniher as their 4 key pillars with Hibberd and Crameri as capable second talls. Really just missing some midfield depth
Crameri was leaving anyway. It was decided earlier in the season that he wanted to join McCartney at the dogs (and was unhappy with the breaking of ties with Bendigo).
Carlisle - meh. Francis covers him and looks a better prospect to me.
Hibberd is a loss though.

The loss is the picks in a very good 2013 draft.
Cripps, lobb, Merrett, Fantasia haul would have us playing finals imo

Crazy vossy was axed right when it looked like Brisbane we're ready a game from the eight and messed it up. Better than Buckley even with trade mistakes.

Buckley had a golden list and messed it up and couldn't fix it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Crameri was leaving anyway. It was decided earlier in the season that he wanted to join McCartney at the dogs (and was unhappy with the breaking of ties with Bendigo).

Carlisle was a gun defender mate and could still end up one. You probably didn't need him but Hooked Hurley Hibberd and Carlisle was a bloody good back 4.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

pretty good ranking.

Vossy did make a couple of crazy trades but considering the list he had, he did very well

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Carlisle was a gun defender mate and could still end up one. You probably didn't need him but Hooked Hurley Hibberd and Carlisle was a bloody good back 4.
Probably?

Carlisle has been outstanding.

33rd for Contested Marks as a CHB is amazing.

To put it into perspective - someone like Hurley who is also an excellent defender and renowned for contested marking, sits 65th.

12 Inside 50s, 4 goals and an 80% Efficiency on top of that.

He's been very, very good and is clearly getting better each week.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Voss did a terrific job at the Lions in hindsight considering what he had to work with on the field and the complete shemozzle we were off the field and the incompetent chairman we had.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Are you kidding?
Yes but when comparing the sides they have left you can't include players that are no longer at the club can you?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Could say the same for us this year. Blew two very good leads and cost us 8pts in recent weeks. We'd be top 6 if we close them out.
the pies list has a lot of issues imo. Not least of which is depth in the key positions and young stars coming through
rate the teams they have left about the same. Pies have good midfielders whilst bombers have good key position. Also have to remember that hird left over a year ago.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Carlisle is so much better than Francis. Carlisle's a gun and Francis is looking like a bust.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yes but when comparing the sides they have left you can't include players that are no longer at the club can you?

OK well even still Essendon have a goal to goal line just need a midfield, pies the opposite. It's much easier to get midfielders

Back