Moved Thread Voss vs Selwood

Michael Voss or Joel Selwood?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss for me too, and yet I probably rate Joel Selwood as the best footballer Geelong has ever had.
Roughly equal as leaders.

Joel Selwood was consistently very, very good in getting his team over the line in competitive games for a long long time.
He played in a lot of winning sides, and he himself made a huge contribution to that record.

Voss just had a little bit more class than Selwood overall though. Both had an innate game-sense.
Both were insanely committed.
But while both were courageous and hard at the contest, Voss could really dish out physical punishment in a way that Selwood couldn't; Voss a slight edge in physicality then.

Selwood's disposal was sometimes underrated; not a long kick but he weighted them to his team mates advantage beautifully; that's all you need to do to be effective, and he was that.
Voss though could be sublime by hand and foot. A little more creative. Could absolutely roost it when he wanted to, too. Voss also more of a goalkicking threat.

So I concede Voss to be the better footballer, but it's pretty close; both got it done in a similar mode.
I can imagine them playing against each other; Selwood might have an advantage in stamina in his prime, Voss in physicality as I mentioned.

TBH, don't really know why I wrote all that.

I get that.

Last edited:

Unstoppable juggernaut was only stopped 12 times in 16 years. 🤣

I couldn’t justify reading on sorry GC26, what did the rest say?
Do whatever play on words you like, but his time at geelong has resulted in 4 flags and only missing finals once in sixteen years. He is one of the games most high impact and influential players to get this result out of a club as one of the key players

Yet Selwood has never won a B&F in a premiership year.

Nor has he won an AFLCA, let alone 2.

Oliver has done both.

Oliver is still only 25 and just entering his prime. He has plenty of seasons to more than match anything Selwood has done.
Selwood would never let geelong finish second last like 30 touch nothing Oliver did all that year. Selwood cracks the whips and wins matches. His winning percentage is off the charts and much superior to Oliver. He is a big time player who knows how to win with 4 flags and never let his side drop out of finals more than once his entire career.. now that’s on field influence not even Voss could achieve.

The gene your referring to was a prelim final. Which he got us to for a 13th time.

The greats can lift their team off the bottom rungs.. that’s what separates a player like selwood from 30 disposal Oliver in 10+ goal losses.

That argument makes no sense. Oliver was only 22 in 2019 and he barely had any support around him. Viney was constantly playing injured that year and Petracca was yet to become the A-grader he is today. When Selwood was 22, on the other hand, he was surrounded by stars such as Ablett, Chapman and Bartel.

Btw, premierships are such a flawed way of measuring a player's influence. Trent Cotchin has two more premierships than Patrick Dangerfield, so I guess that makes him more influential.
He had plenty of support in a very good midfield at the time. You made a prelim the season before as well.

Oliver was a ready to go player from day one, his always had huge numbers his entire career and was close to his ceiling by 22. Selwood is a generation type like matthews who just creates on and off field success around them with everything they do. Do you think it is a coincidence for 16 seasons of his career we only missed the finals once and won 4 flags?? With a win loss record something like close to 80%?? That is unheard of in AFL times.

That is how much of a champion player Joel was. You can’t put a price tag on that sort of influence on a team on and off field with impact all round. Oliver would be laughed out of town trying to claim he draws a similar level of success.

This is why selwood is every bit a comparison to Voss.

Selwood would never let geelong finish second last like 30 touch nothing Oliver did all that year. Selwood cracks the whips and wins matches. His winning percentage is off the charts and much superior to Oliver. He is a big time player who knows how to win with 4 flags and never let his side drop out of finals more than once his entire career.. now that’s on field influence not even Voss could achieve.

The gene your referring to was a prelim final. Which he got us to for a 13th time.

The greats can lift their team off the bottom rungs.. that’s what separates a player like selwood from 30 disposal Oliver in 10+ goal losses.
You're an incredibly biased supporter whose views cannot be taken seriously.

I tend to put idiots on ignore, because no sensible discussion can ever be had.

You're an incredibly biased supporter whose views cannot be taken seriously.

I tend to put idiots on ignore, because no sensible discussion can ever be had.
You came in going troll mode the moment you walked in, then you get emotional and throw the “idiot” and troll cards when it goes a direction you don’t like about your own player. How typical. Off ya go then

Gary Rohan has a better win percentage than Dustin Martin. Does that make Rohan the superior player?

I think the people have spoken. it's clearly Voss. And by a long way. Everything is just recency bias.

Personally I don't listen to anything Chris Scott says. He's immature and can't handle his emotions. I'm pretty sure I heard Chris Scott say Gary Rohan was one of the best forwards in the league at one stage lol

Chris Scott , always the smartest person in the room . Him and his brother have conned so many people over the years . One day one or both will be subject to a massive harassment/ bullying action . Behavior repeats.

Oh , Voss easily . Selwood just a midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood has Cotchin and Hodge covered, no doubt at all. Not Voss.

As players yeah, as captains no. He took waaaaay too long in becoming a premiership captain. In fact the longest in AFL/VFL history. He also started out in a better team than those two and played more finals. Not gonna lie it’s a pretty poor effort. Being a captain for a long time doesn’t automatically make you a good one.

As players yeah, as captains no. He took waaaaay too long in becoming a premiership captain. In fact the longest in AFL/VFL history. He also started out in a better team than those two and played more finals. Not gonna lie it’s a pretty poor effort. Being a captain for a long time doesn’t automatically make you a good one.

So you concede he was a better player than Cotchin or Hodge.

This is how id have have it:

Tier 1: Ablett jr/Judd

Tier 2: Hird/Voss/Buckley

Tier 3: Selwood/pendelbury/Hodge

There's more players you could add to those tiers, but just used those players as an example.

Voss is definitely a tier above selwood, hes probably better compared to dangerfield/Martin.

Selwood has Cotchin and Hodge covered, no doubt at all. Not Voss.
Selwood > Hodge? Please.

You talking about 2x Norm Smith medallist Luke Hodge? I'm an Essendon fan, we hate Hawthorn as much as you do and I can safely say that Hodge was so many levels above Selwood. Cotchin and Selwood is a hard one however and would be a good thread.

So you concede he was a better player than Cotchin or Hodge.

Yes I think most would because of his consistency. Although you could argue Hodge is a better big game player and Cotchin had a better peak cause of the Brownlow and Coaches award which Selwood never got.

This is how id have have it:

Tier 1: Ablett jr/Judd

Tier 2: Hird/Voss/Buckley

Tier 3: Selwood/pendelbury/Hodge

There's more players you could add to those tiers, but just used those players as an example.

Voss is definitely a tier above selwood, hes probably better compared to dangerfield/Martin.

Swap tiers with Judd and Voss and that would be correct

One minor black mark on Selwood was his inability to inspire his teams in many finals … Cats were often down 8-goals to 1-goal in many losing finals, with Selwood and other leaders unable to stem the tide.

Not sure how much of that you put down to Selwood, the general playing list or the coach. But Cotchin copped it mercilessly and he was the ‘poster boy’ for Tiger finals losses in 2014 and 2015, so not sure why Selwood always avoided any scrutiny for his leadership or ‘lack of it’ in so many disappointing finals losses.

One minor black mark on Selwood was his inability to inspire his teams in many finals … Cats were often down 8-goals to 1-goal in many losing finals, with Selwood and other leaders unable to stem the tide.

Not sure how much of that you put down to Selwood, the general playing list or the coach. But Cotchin copped it mercilessly and he was the ‘poster boy’ for Tiger finals losses in 2014 and 2015, so not sure why Selwood always avoided any scrutiny for his leadership or ‘lack of it’ in so many disappointing finals losses.

Great post .

I’ll tell you why , Whatley Russell Anderson ( pure vomit ), Hudson Hutchinson Cleary et Al and and other sycophants piling on . It was easy for them and they thought they were funny . Egg on face .

The character, inspiration , class , transparency and selflessness of Voss , Cotchin and Hodge led to them them holding the cup up three times .

Geelong media mafiA is worse than Essendon at their peak .

Last edited:
Since selwood has arrived, geelong has been an unstoppad juggernaut with 4 premierships, 6 grand final appearances, 13 prelim finals or greater. 15 finals appearances.. and a win loss record of greater than 70%.

There is hardly a player including Voss who can claim they have been as influential on and off the field as selwood. His career and the clubs proceeding success speaks for itself.

Of cause players can be good in average sides, but they would always be regarded even higher in multiple premiership teams. Do you not think pavlich would be regarded even higher had he won 3 flags??

Selwood is much more influential than Clayton Oliver. Selwood has never been leader of a midfield that finished second last like Oliver was. And has 3 more premierships than Oliver.
And if Selwood was drafted elsewhere they still would’ve had that success.

Do whatever play on words you like, but his time at geelong has resulted in 4 flags and only missing finals once in sixteen years. He is one of the games most high impact and influential players to get this result out of a club as one of the key players
you mean you got gifted Hawkins, Scarlett and Gary Ablett as Father sons but yeah sure it's Selwood that carried the team. Definitely nothing to do with some of the best small forwards in modern history in Stevie J and Chapman. Nothing to do with them. lol. If Selwood played for Melbourne he would've been Nathan Jones. fact.

you mean you got gifted Hawkins, Scarlett and Gary Ablett as Father sons but yeah sure it's Selwood that carried the team. Definitely nothing to do with some of the best small forwards in modern history in Stevie J and Chapman. Nothing to do with them. lol. If Selwood played for Melbourne he would've been Nathan Jones. fact.

Impossible to argue with that . Brilliant .

Back