Moved Thread Voss vs Selwood

Michael Voss or Joel Selwood?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was growing up there was a general view that Geelong supporters were the least knowledgeable in the game. Opposition supporters would laugh as Geelong fans feverishly clapped their supporters off even if they'd lost by 10 goals.

It's as though Geelong fans today have zero clue about opposition players. For example, Oliver averages 40% more contested possessions than Selwood. Do you think that means he ''wants the ball'' too ?
I'm not sure contested possessions were the point of his post. What's ironic is the rest of your ramblings

I think the poll speaks for itself. All the neutrals going with Voss. Most of the Geelong votes, if not all, are by one eyed Cats fans. So the poll results are damning. Reflect on those. :) You might do better with a Selwood vs Pendles poll.
I said he was better. Learn to read

Yeah Selwood captained for a long time. I don't really get the point of it though. I'm sure his leadership was great. No-one is questioning that.

And the way you say 'it's only Hawkins'. It's only a guy who would've gone pick 1 and winded up kicking over 730 goals. no biggie.

hypothetical:the dees get a prime Scarlett, Ablett and Hawkins gifted us by the afl as Geelong did. How good would a backline of May/Scarlett/Lever be. Or Ablett/Oliver/Petracca in the centre square and then have Hawkins as our full forward with Kozzie Pickett at his feet. I'm giving us multiple flags too. I'd more than happily play a few 'sub-AFL standard' players to squeeze us under the cap and accommodate 3 hall of famers. I'll throw in Jed Bews for good measure too.

And before you mention Viney, yes, Viney was our only father-son and we have benefited from and I'd say the dees got the least out of any club in the afl when it comes to father-sons.

Cool. Just let me know when you’ve conpleted moving the goal posts and then I’ll respond to your newest ramblings

Yeah Selwood captained for a long time. I don't really get the point of it though. I'm sure his leadership was great. No-one is questioning that.

And the way you say 'it's only Hawkins'. It's only a guy who would've gone pick 1 and winded up kicking over 730 goals. no biggie.

hypothetical:the dees get a prime Scarlett, Ablett and Hawkins gifted us by the afl as Geelong did. How good would a backline of May/Scarlett/Lever be. Or Ablett/Oliver/Petracca in the centre square and then have Hawkins as our full forward with Kozzie Pickett at his feet. I'm giving us multiple flags too. I'd more than happily play a few 'sub-AFL standard' players to squeeze us under the cap and accommodate 3 hall of famers. I'll throw in Jed Bews for good measure too.

And before you mention Viney, yes, Viney was our only father-son and we have benefited from and I'd say the dees got the least out of any club in the afl when it comes to father-sons.

So you mean ‘hypothetical: those three players get drafted into a side stacked with high draft picks because we were so bad for so long.’

Your comparison is already dead in the water because the three players you’re talking about didn’t get drafted into a side with a heap of pointy end picks.

I love how you call them 'cheapies'. Is that why Selwood was tagging Oliver? lol. Oliver is on his way to becoming the best contested player to ever play the game. He's already become the best player in the game (at worst top 3), something Selwood could never do. Did Selwood ever win a coaches award? Nup. Oliver has 2 of them already. You don't those unless your impact on a game is monstrous. I'll back the coaches on this one mate :)

So you're going to mention the year when we finish 17th, but not mention the years where we were top 4 and he was the BnF winner of a premiership team? Nice balanced approach you have there :)
Stopped reading after this garbage highlighted. And you call me bias lol. Its nice to expose the absolute bias ans ridiculousness of others posts and opinions who are trying to act neutral when they wre trolling

I don’t think people hate Hodge as much though so I don’t think you’re being entirely correct with this summation. It was quite annoying watching him win games in clinch moments with the high tackle. I never felt like that with Stevie J or Bartel. In fact I had quite a bit of man love for Bartel.
Hawthorn dropped down the ladder in a hurry after their 3 flags. You guys have been a cellar dwellar club now for a while.

Your run was aprox 7-8 years, ours was aprox 16 years. Big difference

It's not Geelong's fault that they took advantage of the rules that were available to them. Rules that have since been changed in a large part due to the fact that the AFL recognised it was an unfair advantage. It's no different to the bulldogs having access to Sam Darcy and Ugle-Hagan (NGA rules). They are 2 players that they shouldn't have the rights to. It's a massive asterisk on Geelong's flags as most other clubs didn't get these gifts given to them. Like I said, give me Scarlett, Ablett and Hawkins and melbourne wins 5 flags, probably on the trot :)
You mean like the compensation draft pick of 1,2 in the draft melbourne got for tanking because they were so s**t? The AFL has to scrap the rule because melbourne was such an embarrassmemt to the AFL it was destroying the integrity of the system.

Melbournes premiership if it was a headline would read
“Decades of incompetency finally pays off”.

It's not Geelong's fault that they took advantage of the rules that were available to them. Rules that have since been changed in a large part due to the fact that the AFL recognised it was an unfair advantage. It's no different to the bulldogs having access to Sam Darcy and Ugle-Hagan (NGA rules). They are 2 players that they shouldn't have the rights to. It's a massive asterisk on Geelong's flags as most other clubs didn't get these gifts given to them. Like I said, give me Scarlett, Ablett and Hawkins and melbourne wins 5 flags, probably on the trot :)

Yeah maybe they would. If you put them into a team loaded with high draft picks that you earned through complete incompetency.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Is it fair that teams can have access to players, unencumbered access previously, because their dad played for the club?

Perhaps not. It’s a nice idea and whether it works for Geelong or not I like the idea of players continuing a family tradition at a club but that’s neither here nor there.

The fact is, the system as it was, was perceived as an inequality.

Now, to me, an inequality could also be found in the idea that the first and easiest access to the best young players in the sport, gets handed to teams who a) did nothing to earn it beyond simply being utterly f***ing shithouse, b) at the time have no desire whatsoever to actually go out and compete and win games and c) actually deliberately try and lose them.

How is that fair? The whole premise of professional sport and really any sport that goes beyond social level, is that you go out and you do your best every time.

Rewarding sides for losing is not fair whether they’re deliberately losing or not, and it’s even less fair when they are deliberately losing.

I have no problem with sides when their season is gone, taking out some older players and getting games into young guys. Even in say, a cricket series, you would be content to see a side down 2-0 in a 3 match series handing a debut to a kid to see if he can handle it. But your primary goal is still to win.

Rugby league has a lot of issues and I hate how transient it is but you rarely see any side outside of the Wests Tigers and to an extent the Warriors go too long without being at the pointy end and only Melbourne and the Roosters can say that they’ve been thereabouts for a decade or more.

The Suns, Carlton to an extent, Essendon, north are going to be at the bottom for a while yet, Port were awful for a long time after 2007, Melbourne before the last five years, Richmond before 2017, Brisbane between 2004 and the last few years: afl has been littered with examples of teams who simply cannot find ways to compete even though they’re being given help hand over fist.

Moaning about the previous version of the father son rule when there are a litany of sides pissing away draft advantages is ridiculous

Oliver can run around getting 30 cheapies in a bottom 2 side, selwood never once let that happen over his career including our rebuilds. His a much bigger impact player
FMD. You're talking as if Melbourne are still a bottom two side when the reality is that we've finished in the top 2 for two consecutive seasons.

Btw, Oliver doesn't "run around getting cheapies" at all. His impact in the 2021 finals series was immense and he virtually carried the entire midfield in the QF against Sydney this year.

FMD. You're talking as if Melbourne are still a bottom two side when the reality is that we've finished in the top 2 for two consecutive seasons.

Btw, Oliver doesn't "run around getting cheapies" at all. His impact in the 2021 finals series was immense and he virtually carried the entire midfield in the QF against Sydney this year.
The conversation has steered in an unsavory direction with a few troll melbourne fans and others in general. Bit over this thread tbh. The main board is worse than bay 13

Fwiw Selwood had a 7 season stretch when he averaged 19 Brownlow votes.

I don’t rate the Brownlow that highly but this was at a time when the winner was usually mid 20s - the exceptions being Ablett, Judd and Swan so fairly decent company - comparing Selwood’s peak to some of those guys and he’s not going to reach that level but some credence surely has to be given to the idea of someone being that consistent over such an extended period. And like Voss it’s not like he didn’t have anyone to compete with for votes; that period began in Selwood’s second season. Voss’ best extended run went for 5 years and he averaged 16 votes a year (again I can accept that in HIS era more votes were given to non midfielders so I can accomodate that, and as I said the Brownlow isn’t the be all and end all)

Ha ha. The old it’s more special if it’s spread out argument. It’s an oldie but a goodie

It’s an oldie but I’d struggle to locate many people who would agree, unless it was for the sake of an online argument for example, that they would rather see four flags in a reasonably compressed period but also deal with being s**t for 6 seasons instead of being good for the entire time.

At the end of the day you don’t get an extra big trophy for a compressed time space in which you won it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s an oldie but I’d struggle to locate many people who would agree, unless it was for the sake of an online argument for example, that they would rather see four flags in a reasonably compressed period but also deal with being s**t for 6 seasons instead of being good for the entire time.

At the end of the day you don’t get an extra big trophy for a compressed time space in which you won it
Well therefore Blues and Bombers fans should be lauding it over us all

But they aren’t -are they

Back to Selwood a star I missed out on was.

2008-2017 was in the team 6 times and in the squad nine times only missing out on no selection in 2015.

9x all aus squad
6x all aus
3x all aus captain

His consistency is so elite!

You must drive some of these blokes crazy with your rational logic. 😂👏🏼

Back to Selwood a star I missed out on was.

2008-2017 was in the team 6 times and in the squad nine times only missing out on no selection in 2015.

9x all aus squad
6x all aus
3x all aus captain

His consistency is so elite!

Voss was consistent too. He got 5 AAs plus a lot of other things Selwood never achieved. I don’t think consistency is the separating factor in this debate, it’s pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ha ha. The old it’s more special if it’s spread out argument. It’s an oldie but a goodie
Not what i was saying? I was referencing selwoods prolonged period of dominance (16 years). And that essentially a club being a top four flag contender for this long has driven fans nuts. I never said 4 flags spread out is better tho. Didnt even venture there.

Bit rich coming from you who has posted more one eyed bullshit than anyone else in here.
Apparently alot of people in here have belittled voss by your standards. So far i havd been i formed..
1. Scott pendleburry is as good as voss
2. Clayton oliver is also as good as voss

All true i suppose??

I
Voss was consistent too. He got 5 AAs plus a lot of other things Selwood never achieved. I don’t think consistency is the separating factor in this debate, it’s pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wrote the original post and gave Voss the nod just giving Selwood some credit where it’s due. He started with a premiership in 07 and a rising star he finished with a premiership and there just wasn’t many years where he wasn’t at a very very good standard.

Back