Review Votes v Dees (Farewell Scotty) ****RESULTS POSTED****

There's no time in Nimbin man.:tonguewink:

tenor.gif

Today yes. Its been hectic tho. Unless we get serious rain its gonna be a bad fire season in NSW.

Oh yeah of course. I wondered if you'd be called into action with all that's going on up there ATM. Good luck if so. :thumbsu:

Oh yeah of course. I wondered if you'd be called into action with all that's going on up there ATM. Good luck if so. :thumbsu:

Was pretty busy over the weekend and had a crew out yesterday but they were stood down early so thats a positive - means conditions are improving. I'll be going out again tomorrow. Dunno where. There are two huge fires - one south of Drake and the Bruxner Highway and the other in the national park south of Yamba on the coast in our fire district and a few others on the border of the district with Tenterfield. We'll be at one of those big fires. There are also some serious fires just North of here in the GC hinterland. They're actually closer than the other two but because of state boundaries and the way the districts are set up we haven't gone to those fires.

Its so dry in NSW and Qld that without significant rain across both states for weeks its gonna be a terrible summer.

In some ways its lucky these things are burning now. We had a 35C, 50 - 80 kmhr westerlies and relative humidity under 20%, nearly at 10% on Friday and that is what kicked these fires off. It hasn't been hot like that since (but the westerlies only stopped yesterday) Friday so that's been a bonus - in 2 months time every day will be 30+ instead of low to mid 20s and we'll have random days in the high 30s. Once those conditions happen small changes in weather make huge differences in the intensity of the fire.

So its better that all that fuel is gone now but unfortunately in the process people have lost property and some fireys were badly injured. One fire fighter is in hospital with severe burns, including internally (ie he breathed in hot air/flame - seared lungs and maybe windpipe, which is touch and go as far as surviving goes,) after an over run. But realistically in two months time things probably would have been worse.

I had one of my members on the standby crew for Friday (cos we knew it was gonna be a bad day) and they all nearly got overrun by fire that night. Just got the truck out by the skin of their teeth with all their crew protection/overruns sprayers going full on. The fire went from 2 feet high to between 20 and 50 feet high in a very short period of time (minutes) because of a 180 degree wind change and they were under severe ember attack - ie its basically raining fire and embers around you so everything that hasn't burnt starts burning. Its intense.

I'll do these today. Its hard to think about other stuff when you have people out there and you don't know whats happening but there is only one person out today (and she is gung ho and very switched on, was on that Friday crew - she'll be taking over the captaincy when I step down.) So I'm not really worried about her tho - she's capable and smart enough to be careful got home last night and was ringing around today to find a truck from other brigades to go out on.

Its like worrying about your kids. I ask these people to go out and potentially put themselves in harms way so its always nice when they get home safely.

So here we are a week later...

I did try to make myself watch a replay before I voted again. That game was pretty average.

Anyway results not that different from my original thoughts ... Marley misses out Kanye gets the one vote.

3 - Polec.
2 - Higgo.
1 - Suga Marley.

In the extremely unlikely event that anyone else wants to vote you've got till I finish counting.

Last edited:
Inspired by Gil and the AFL's example and after much soul searching I thought I better have one blatant * around, vote change, scam thingy this year, so I've done the count and I'm changing my third vote back to Marley. You'll see why.

Final votes for the year.

Poles - 82 votes. Our best for the first time IIRC.
Higgo - 77 votes. Only plays well when he's chasing a contract. :tonguewink:
Marley - 21 votes. He has been up there a few times late this season. Must be liking working with Rhyce. Certainly consistent.
Jasper - 5 votes. How good is this guy? I imagine most people expected a few 5 vote games from Polec but he has been fantastic.
Kanye, Frog and the legendary and already sorely missed Hunter 3 votes each. (See what I did there?) Kayne deserved a vote for his game, at least I thought he did, but its fitting if Thommo goes out as one of the players this board thought deserved a vote in his last game. Cos he has played his guts out for us thru his entire career.
JZ - 2 votes. Could have had more really. Kicked straight and played well in a very lacklustre game. He has finished the season well but has a lot to do to redeem himself and the side next year. Good luck Jack, we know you can do it.
Souva - 1 vote. Looking forward to a few more next year as he gets a bit bigger, a bit stronger and a little bit more experienced.

5 - Jarad Polec.
4 - Shaun Higgins.
3 - Marley Williams.
2 - Jasper Pittard.
1 - Trent Dumont.
1 - Scott Thompson.
1 - Kayne Turner.

Final votes for the year (finally):

Ben Cunnington - 47.
Robbie Tarrant - 29.
Shaun Higgins - 26.
Jack Ziebell - 25.
Jed Anderson - 23.
Cameron Zurhaar - 21.
Shaun Atley - 20.
Jared Polec - 20.
Todd Goldstein - 19.
Marley Williams - 19.
Ben Brown - 17.
Jasper Pittard - 14.
Jy Simpkin - 14.
Trent Dumont - 8.
Scott Thompson - 8.
Jamie Macmillan - 5.
Bailey Scott - 5.
Aaron Hall - 4.
Paul Ahern - 3.
Kayne Turner - 3.
Luke Davies-Uniacke - 2.
Nick Larkey - 2.
Tarryn Thomas - 2.
Mason Wood - 2.

Congrats Cunners.

Ben Cunnington was out in front all year.

I'll chase up last years final tally and compare it soon and have a bit of rant.

Whayt do people think of this years results?

Didn't expect Jed or JZ to be so high. Ben Brown nearly wins the Coleman, runs further than anyone else (or close enough) and can't even get into the top 10. That could auger very well for next year. He polled alot better in previous seasons and didn't do much more if anything. Cam Zurhaar nearly makes the top 5. Its a fair top 10, maybe the order could change a bit but the votes are fairly close, Browny and Jasper (maybe) could have been in there. 9 votes seperating 9 players from Higgo to Browny (3rd - 11th). It'll be interesting to see how the Syd compares. Apart from Scotty T I'd expect everyone outside the top ten this year to improve their performance next year (with the possible exception of Mason Wood but only if he leaves.) That also augers well for the future. There's a few younger players in the bottom half of the votes and quite a few in their first couple of years. Jy, LDU, TT, Bailey Scott, Souva ... even Paul Ahern could be called youngish.

Final votes for the year (finally):

Ben Cunnington - 47.
Robbie Tarrant - 29.
Shaun Higgins - 26.
Jack Ziebell - 25.
Jed Anderson - 23.
Cameron Zurhaar - 21.
Shaun Atley - 20.
Jared Polec - 20.
Todd Goldstein - 19.
Marley Williams - 19.
Ben Brown - 17.
Jasper Pittard - 14.
Jy Simpkin - 14.
Trent Dumont - 8.
Scott Thompson - 8.
Jamie Macmillan - 5.
Bailey Scott - 5.
Aaron Hall - 4.
Paul Ahern - 3.
Kayne Turner - 3.
Luke Davies-Uniacke - 2.
Nick Larkey - 2.
Tarryn Thomas - 2.
Mason Wood - 2.

Congrats Cunners.
Would be interesting to see a how many games they polled in ladder.
Reckon that might be a closer indication towards the BnF

Back