VOTING THREAD: MFC 1990-2020 Re-draft | WINNER REVEALED

Which team would win (SEE POST #249 for line-ups)?

• Proper Gander

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Dark Avenger

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
My favourite MELB players are I think similar to yours in some ways (and unfortunately possibly similar to Topkent) in that I like direct and hard at the ball.

My second favourite MELB players are all the guys you and Kent despise - basically the fearful potatoes that everyone despises then I get emotional and adopt them in a really creepy, maternal way. It’s like when my Snoopy got really old and he was all stitched up and discoloured I wouldn’t let him go in the bin and I secretly loved him more than my new snoopy or my remote control car racing set.

I love the hard at it blokes and then the ones who are crap who try hard and get slammed more than soft campaigners who do less.
Wagner, M.Jones, Terlich etc.

But give me a bloke whod rather give away a free kick than let a bump opportunity pass up and you've got TKs vote.

Kent, Tapscott, Pickett, Read, Moloney, Riley etc.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I love the hard at it blokes and then the ones who are crap who try hard and get slammed more than soft campaigners who do less.
Wagner, M.Jones, Terlich etc.

But give me a bloke whod rather give away a free kick than let a bump opportunity pass up and you've got TKs vote.

Kent, Tapscott, Pickett, Read, Moloney, Riley etc.
I like all of them and I reckon I loved Kent before you made it fashionable. I was really really disappointed when Tapscott didn’t come on when the injuries mounted up. Without that he could have been really good. Hard at the ball, hard on his direct match up, and I reckon he was a really good, penetrating kick. If memory serves he could kick off both sides too (???)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I like all of them and I reckon I loved Kent before you made it fashionable. I was really really disappointed when Tapscott didn’t come on when the injuries mounted up. Without that he could have been really good. Hard at the ball, hard on his direct match up, and I reckon he was a really good, penetrating kick. If memory serves he could kick off both sides too (???)
I think a few of our blokes would have made it at AfL level at another club, you don't just make every pick bad for 10 years it's bad development.

Look at Brad Miller, surrounded by good players he was a beast between 04-06. Soon as we went down the tanking path he was crap as was everyone picked.

I reckon Morton, Tapscott, Grimes and a few others had potential but we had no ability to develop.

Jack Watts of course, Roosy got him playing decent footy, imagine if he had him from the start of his career.
I sometimes think about what would have happpened if we didnt knock back Sheedy. I expect if he was asked to tank he would have told Schwab to gagf.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I sometimes think about what would have happpened if we didnt knock back Sheedy. I expect if he was asked to tank he would have told Schwab to gagf.
Lloydy told a great Sheedy story, as a 16 year old on his first day of training at Essendon they were doing kicking drills and he said that Long, Wellman and another took the marks on their chest. Lloyd went next and he took it on his chest and Sheedy stopped the drill.
"Lloyd, run some 400s now!"

After he got back Sheeds called him over and says do you know why I made you do that and Lloydy said no idea?

" You're gonna be my full forward for the next 15 years, I want you to train like there's a defender hanging off you everyday son"

It does make me wonder how much time forwards spend training forward craft these days, guaranteed they spend half their time tackling, zoning and running laps. Seems to be more important than being an actual forward now.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I have to go PG, the selections of Powell and Clark and Collins were value and gained favour. Dory’s midfield would dominate but PG’s backline would account for Dory’s Forward line, either by rebounding and killing most inside 50’s or sitting back and watching Dawes and Miller drop chest marks. A tough decision though, Dory has a nice midfield but maybe not enough balance.

View attachment 1103925

Round 1, Match 2: Proper Gander v. Dory_77 🥳

Please vote in the poll for the team you think would win. Criteria and other details specified in the opening post of this thread.
TEAM PROPER GANDER:
FB: Matthew Collins - Lynden Dunn - Jake Lever
HB: Michael Hibberd - Adam Tomlinson - Josh Wagner
C: Byron Pickett - Stephen Powell - Billy Stretch
HF: Luke Tapscott - Mitch Clark - Tom Sparrow
FF: Mitch Hannan - Allen Jakovich - Charlie Spargo
R: Stefan Martin - Brent Moloney - Jack Trengove
IC: James Jordon - Rod Owen - David Rodan - Ben Newton

TEAM DORY_77:
FB: Matthew Whelan - Colin Garland - Clint Bartram
HB: Jack Grimes - James Sellar - Paul Wheatley
C: Cale Morton - Dom Tyson - Matt Jones
HF: Darren Kowal - Brad Miller - Chris Heffernan
FF: Anthony McDonald - Chris Dawes - Ben Kennedy
R: Jeff White - Brock McLean - Adem Yze
IC: Michael Evans - Jordan Gysberts - Addam Maric - Michael Newton
Proper Gander
Midfield looks good and if we're talking at their best Powell was very good. Good grunt from Powell and Moloney and some brutality from Pickett. Strongest part is the forward line Clarke and Jakovich at their best would be almost impossible to stop. Defence is very solid. I think that midfield reflects the Goodwin 'everyone needs to be an inside mid' mindset other than Stretch and to a lesser extend Trengove. Having a Wagner almost cost you.

Dory_77
An eclectic midfield that I think would work well irl. A little worried you could kick a score and I think Jacko get a hold of any of the defenders you put on him. I alsdo think PG's defence would be able to hold even a rampaging Dawes and Miller.

I think PG's midfield looks a lot like our current team and Dory's team reminds me of 2010 when Bailey was coach. PG's has the grunt and Dory the flare. I think grunt gets it and getting that ball anywhere near Jacko against that defence would get him a bag. PG wins by 6 goals.

Lastly, on first look I was strong for Dory but after breaking it down I'm a PG man.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Voted Dory.
Just because Matt Jones and Dom Tyson are real dreamy looking.

I stand by it.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Anthony Macdonald seems very wasted in the fwd pocket. I remember him being a solid centreman, wingman when he was going through his purple patches. I remember when James came on the scene, he was the lesser brother for a number of years. James a late bloomer from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MATCH RESULTS: PROPER GANDER v. DORY_77
May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
INTRODUCING THE TEAMS (7).png

Round 1, Match 2: Proper Gander v. Dory_77
RESULTS: Proper Gander (77.8%) def. Dory_77 (22.2%)

MELBOURNE BOARD (5).png

ROUND 1, MATCH 3: PJFAIRBAIRN v. DARK AVENGER
May 27, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
INTRODUCING THE TEAMS (6).png

Round 1, Match 3: pjfairbairn v. Dark Avenger 🥳

Please vote in the poll for the team you think would win. Criteria and other details specified in the opening post of this thread.
TEAM PJFAIRBAIRN:
FB: James Strauss - Jamie Shanahan - Troy Broadbridge
HB: Christian Salem - Paul Prymke - Joel Macdonald
C: Craig Turley - Andrew Obst - Daniel Cross
HF: Aaron Davey - David Schwarz - James Harmes
FF: Austin Wonaeamirri - Luke Jackson - Jake Melksham
R: Mark Jamar - Andrew Leoncelli - Jack Viney
IC: James Magner - Ben Beams - Mitch Brown - Jimmy Toumpas

TEAM DARK AVENGER:
FB: Peter Walsh - Nathan Carroll - Marty Hore
HB: Jayden Hunt - Jared Rivers - Trent Rivers
C: Matthew Febey - Cameron Bruce - Travis Johnstone
HF: Jeff Hilton - Sam Weideman - Kysaiah Pickett
FF: Sean Charles - David Neitz - Bayley Fritsch
R: Braydon Preuss - James McDonald - Alastair Clarkson
IC: Jason Norrish - Joel Smith - Darren O'Brien - Dean Irving

May 27, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon the Nietz factor alone probably delivers this one to DA. The rest of that team has a pretty good balance considering the pretty limited material we were working with.

Peak Schwarz for pjfairbairn, though.

PJs has a midfield advantage but DAs forward line scores nearly everytime it goes in there. Too much pace and quality marking targets.

Would be a high scoring game. 21 goals to 17

Back