Autopsy vs Adelaide Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I was worried we lacked a focal strategy for the year and don't feel comforted by the way things panned out.

Apparently we were just building for the future. Yet we played our absolute best 22 every week. Yet we ran our bookends into the ground. Yet no players were ever played ahead of older options in the interest of long term exposure.

There were some good wins but in the end it was another neither here nor there season. We don't take any choccies and we haven't got a handle on half our list. Meh.

Just because a lot more players didn’t play, doesn’t mean we didnt build or get exposure into players. Fact is we got rid of Gibbo, Swallow, Hansen so we could get exposure to new guys. We did that with Anderson, Ahern, Majak to great success.

Plus lots of time into Jy, Goldy regained form, Ziebell became a really good forward, Wood played his most games, Walker showed a lot, Brown, Higgins, Cunnington, Dumont all went to another level.

we’ll get 12 wins, just miss finals and be a much more attractive prospect to Gaff, Polec, draftees and most of our fans.

Thompson and Waite will move on. McKay will get his shot and hopefully we bolster our midfield through FA.

Disappointing end but far from a wasted year IMO.

We coughed up too many easy goals from F50 stoppages.

I’m still yet to see is set up well in D50 through Brad’s tenure.

I got sick of the commentators banging on about how the Adelaide forwards were always on the move, but good sides block the running channels, making forwards run to areas where they can’t have as big an impact.

Structurally we are one of the poorest sides in the AFL.

That Greeenwood goal where he ran in unopposed from a stoppage is so typical of how we set up.

Hey guys, coming here as a neutral to ask why North don't play an entire game like they did in that last part of that last quarter? They were just electric and enjoyable to watch, streaming down the middle, playing on at all costs. If they play like that more often, they would scare the crap out of many opposition. They actually have a lay out of players to suit that fast, play on at all costs style of play. Zeibell and Cunnington to take out opposition players and clear a path for the speedsters and then long inside 50 to the talls. I don't understand why for the first 3 quarters they played a more stuff around style of footy kicking sideways, backwards, going around the boundary and to outnumbered contests. And I've seen them play that fast, fluent style of footy throughout the season in patches. If they did that more often, they would easily make the top 8. It looks very GWS-esque in comparison.

We coughed up too many easy goals from F50 stoppages.

I’m still yet to see is set up well in D50 through Brad’s tenure.

I got sick of the commentators banging on about how the Adelaide forwards were always on the move, but good sides block the running channels, making forwards run to areas where they can’t have as big an impact.

Structurally we are one of the poorest sides in the AFL.

That Greeenwood goal where he ran in unopposed from a stoppage is so typical of how we set up.
Actually the Greenwood goal can directly be attributed to Higgins . who was with Greenwood at the stoppage when Greenwood ran to put a block on Williams for Betts , Higgins then left Greenwood to go ball hunting the ball spills out Greenwood who is by himself picks the ball up and waltzed into an open goal because Higgins left him to go to the stoppage . But I agree with your point on our structures , they are deplorable .
I’m not sure how much of the blame can be apportioned to the coaching staff when the players f**k up like that because I’m pretty sure when they do their D50 stoppage work at training they’re not coached to drop off their opponents like that .

Hey guys, coming here as a neutral to ask why North don't play an entire game like they did in that last part of that last quarter? They were just electric and enjoyable to watch, streaming down the middle, playing on at all costs. If they play like that more often, they would scare the crap out of many opposition. They actually have a lay out of players to suit that fast, play on at all costs style of play. Zeibell and Cunnington to take out opposition players and clear a path for the speedsters and then long inside 50 to the talls. I don't understand why for the first 3 quarters they played a more stuff around style of footy kicking sideways, backwards, going around the boundary and to outnumbered contests. And I've seen them play that fast, fluent style of footy throughout the season in patches. If they did that more often, they would easily make the top 8. It looks very GWS-esque in comparison.
The man in charge has a big say in this.

I also think Adelaide took the foot off and we just weren’t good enough to capitalise.

Too many senior players making the same panicked mistakes late in games always hurts us as well.

Actually the Greenwood goal can directly be attributed to Higgins . who was with Greenwood at the stoppage when Greenwood ran to put a block on Williams for Betts , Higgins then left Greenwood to go ball hunting the ball spills out Greenwood who is by himself picks the ball up and waltzed into an open goal because Higgins left him to go to the stoppage . But I agree with your point on our structures , they are deplorable .
I’m not sure how much of the blame can be apportioned to the coaching staff when the players f**k up like that because I’m pretty sure when they do their D50 stoppage work at training they’re not coached to drop off their opponents like that .
It’s not just the midfield. Too many of our defenders don’t position themselves to take up the dangerous space. Midfielders are always going to hunt the ball to a degree, but it’s about setting up well so that when they don’t win it the opposition is forced to areas that are harder to score from.

The man in charge has a big say in this.

I also think Adelaide took the foot off and we just weren’t good enough to capitalise.

Too many senior players making the same panicked mistakes late in games always hurts us as well.

Would be good to see them adopt that style of manic play more often next year. I enjoy watching it. They would thump half the teams in the AFL if they play that way for even half a game. Pick up a few more wins and you guys are playing finals.

Would be good to see them adopt that style of manic play more often next year. I enjoy watching it. They would thump half the teams in the AFL if they play that way for even half a game. Pick up a few more wins and you guys are playing finals.
Our game style has a lot to do with trying to protect a fragile back 6. It’s not until the game starts slipping away that we throw caution to the wind.

But I agree, sometimes the best defence is your offence.

Before I ask the question,
let me pre-empt this with the statement im aware this might lead to a ban (or it would if I asked this question on the Port board)

But, has Ben Brown always played for free kicks?
Before this year I loved him, a player who stuck with a high number despite him becoming a very good player (I hate players changing numbers, and him sticking with 50 would've made him a cult hero for me if he played for my team). But now that he's became a name player in the league I've noticed him a bit more and will watch him off the ball.

In the first quarter, one of your players had it on centre wing (outer side from the camera) and he's (Brown) off the ball running back into the open space of the 50 (would never have been caught on camera even with a wide shot from the tv crew) but he's running back into Cheney. Cheney had his arm out, arguable blocking a lead. However, Ben Brown was playing for a holding free. But looking at it. It looked like Brown was holding Cheney around the arm to accentuate holding to draw a free out of the umpire. There was never a hold, but he still played for it.

After that one instant I payed a little more attention to him through the game and I felt he was trying to play for free kicks, turning a molehill into a mountain (though, admittedly, I did that when I played in u16s-u18s so who am I to talk)

Don't get me wrong, he's in the top 3 key position forwards in the game imo (with Franklin and Kennedy), but I lost respect for him today and am wondering has he always played for frees. Or was today a one off when things weren't going exactly his way.
Not a question I'd put on an opponent board.

But I can agree that his actions have changed this year, though I'd hardly say its doing anything underhanded - he's been illegally held onto over his career due to his height as a forward, this year he has been flailing the arms about to bring it to the umps attention.

Possibly been asked to do this by coaches so that he gets a fair run at it, but really he's s**t at it and just ends up a mess of arms at odd angles.

Two words...

s**t Coaching

Who is our defensive coach?

What is with these stupid idiots constantly pushing up to contests that they can’t impact?

I’ve lost count of the amount of times we push up don’t impact the contest only to watch the ball go over the top and no pressure on the ball coming in.

If you can’t impact stay with your man.

This is pretty simple.

It’s due to the fact that we played two loose defenders today.

Not one, but two!!

Majak played loose deep and controlled the air, whilst our other loose defender that was shared between jmac, lmac, Wright and at times Marley had to patrol the half back line and move to an opponent on their way through the stoppage.

This is such a flawed tactic, not only does it leave two half backs free for the crows (Milera and laird started every centre bounce unopposed in the first half) but it also leads defenders having to make the decisions you’ve described above. Our defenders then have to patrol a wave of midfielders that stream forward and get caught in two minds.

Our mids and defenders have looked s**t the past two weeks because the opposition have attacking half back flankers that are unopposed running riot and controlling the game. Add poor communication and shizenhouse ability to transition/pass your opponent to another player and we see what we’ve seen for the past fortnight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pretty simple.

It’s due to the fact that we played two loose defenders today.

Not one, but two!!

Majak played loose deep and controlled the air, whilst our other loose defender that was shared between jmac, lmac, Wright and at times Marley had to patrol the half back line and move to an opponent on their way through the stoppage.

This is such a flawed tactic, not only does it leave two half backs free for the crows (Milera and laird started every centre bounce unopposed in the first half) but it also leads defenders having to make the decisions you’ve described above. Our defenders then have to patrol a wave of midfielders that stream forward and get caught in two minds.

Our mids and defenders have looked s**t the past two weeks because the opposition have attacking half back flankers that are unopposed running riot and controlling the game. Add poor communication and shizenhouse ability to transition/pass your opponent to another player and we see what we’ve seen for the past fortnight.
All true and combined with the stupidity of our players to go to a contest they can’t impact and you have a cluster *.

The Bulldogs game was the perfect example. We hold our structure and they would have found it difficult to score, instead we constantly pressed up to a contest that we couldn’t impact giving them the overlap and easy ball coming inside 50.

Sometimes it’s smarter to stay off and force the ball carrier to make a decision rather than giving them the easy ball over the top.

Before I ask the question,
let me pre-empt this with the statement im aware this might lead to a ban (or it would if I asked this question on the Port board)

But, has Ben Brown always played for free kicks?
Before this year I loved him, a player who stuck with a high number despite him becoming a very good player (I hate players changing numbers, and him sticking with 50 would've made him a cult hero for me if he played for my team). But now that he's became a name player in the league I've noticed him a bit more and will watch him off the ball.

In the first quarter, one of your players had it on centre wing (outer side from the camera) and he's (Brown) off the ball running back into the open space of the 50 (would never have been caught on camera even with a wide shot from the tv crew) but he's running back into Cheney. Cheney had his arm out, arguable blocking a lead. However, Ben Brown was playing for a holding free. But looking at it. It looked like Brown was holding Cheney around the arm to accentuate holding to draw a free out of the umpire. There was never a hold, but he still played for it.

After that one instant I payed a little more attention to him through the game and I felt he was trying to play for free kicks, turning a molehill into a mountain (though, admittedly, I did that when I played in u16s-u18s so who am I to talk)

Don't get me wrong, he's in the top 3 key position forwards in the game imo (with Franklin and Kennedy), but I lost respect for him today and am wondering has he always played for frees. Or was today a one off when things weren't going exactly his way.
Did you manage to see all the times he was actually held though?

Wouldn't be surprised if he pops into a physio to have his shoulder popped back in with how often he had his arm pulled up behind his back.

We seriously need a midfield coach to get our stoppage set up right.
We are disheveled and allow teams to walk the ball out then spread.
The comeback was based solely on winning every stoppage in the last 15 minutes.
But that’s impossible to do for a whole game, any halved contest and we’re gonski

I lost count of how many handballs, almost without fail, to a stationary, unsuspecting team mate, more often than not sideways or backwards, and for sure, mostly <1-2m in actual horizontal distance travelled.

With this in mind, kick to h/b ratio was seriously out of whack.

It's one of our signature moves; receiver close to the ball carrier, stationary or moving parallel as opposed to at an angle creating space.

If Brown is constantly sandwiched between two opponents, why don't we simply isolate him and not have any other North players within 40 metres. If the opposing team insists on double teaming Big Ben, we must then kick the ball to the unopposed player.
1. Because structurally that extra doesn’t really come from dropping off another one of our forwards and if we match up their spare it ends up crowded down there

2. If we maintain structure to avoid drawing more defenders to Brown then everyone whinges that we’ve got no crumbers.

Fast ball movement is the only cure.

1. Because structurally that extra doesn’t really come from dropping off another one of our forwards and if we match up their spare it ends up crowded down there

2. If we maintain structure to avoid drawing more defenders to Brown then everyone whinges that we’ve got no crumbers.

Fast ball movement is the only cure.

Do you find it hard to believe that there are people that actually believe that "crumbers" (in the classical sense) still exist?

More fun facts from stats land: To find North's last 5 40+ individual posession games you have to go as far back as 16 years to 2002. To find our opposition's last 5 40+ individual posession games you have to go as far back as 8 days to last Sunday. Do we not man up at all if Jacobs isn't playing? Is that how it works?

More fun facts from stats land: To find North's last 5 40+ individual posession games you have to go as far back as 16 years to 2002. To find our opposition's last 5 40+ individual posession games you have to go as far back as 8 days to last Sunday. Do we not man up at all if Jacobs isn't playing? Is that how it works?

It's an anomaly of modern day footy.

169 of these combined 211 disposals were uncontested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back