Autopsy vs Carlton - Round 8, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We really need to take a leaf from Malthouse's coaching booklet, he let the kids play......in positions that suited them. When people are playing in their familiar positions, they automatically gain confidence. Sure, if our center gets beaten by a historical great, hardly an issue but what will cause problem is highly talented youngsters being played in unfamiliar positions because they are not 'ready' and get their arses kicked as that will create doubt. Well when you go to the front line, there is no such thing you are not ready, you can either win or die. Life is cheap these days and these afl players need to be thrown into the deep end, of course they need to be thrown in with the right preparation. This is the job of the coaching panel. Doubts are the mind killer and the mind controls the body. Is it because of their skills or s**t coaching, i wagger on the latter.

The brad scott era players, while some are even excellent, they are all from the past meaning they played their entire career in a middling team that does not know how to excel. The youngsters must take over as early as possible in that they are not yet scarred, fresh and from all evidence, it's youngsters keeping the team aflot, the senior players somewhat drags the team down. The deadweight must go and you know who they are. Sure, some of them might play a good game or two here and there, even excellent ones but they are holding back the players that need to go up. Can north melbourne for once not being north but being Rooboys. The 26 - 29 needs a total clean out and don't worry, in Tarrant, Goldstein, Higgins, we still have 3 outstanding veterans to guide the youngsters in that even at their age, they are still in the top tier of their respective position and most certain at our team.

Better today than the slop we’ve dished up in the past few weeks at least. Just so frustrating seeing basic errors from senior players(Goldy, Pittard, Macmillan) cost us on the scoreboard. Most games are low scoring slogs so 2-3 screw up will cost you the game. It kills confidence and momentum. The Pittard * up was so unprofessional. You could see his teammates heads drop. None of this ‘get around him’ bullshit. Drop him next week.
Until unreliable role players players like Atley, Macmillan, Hall, Pittard, Dumont, Williams, Garner, Jacobs etc are phased out and replaced by a hopefully hungrier and more dynamic generation then we’ll continually be shoveling s**t uphill.

He was in the middle of his kicking motion too. Just lacked a single iota of awareness that another player was behind him. That said, he's been quite acceptable over the last 3 weeks.

The greatest part of my annoyance was because I so want him to be successful. He could be one of our favourite players - if only...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know careers are all what ifs and if only‘s, but Hall gets the ball, like seriously can win the ball. He at least tries his guts out. Just seems to be an over correction from week to week with him. Was pretty solid today, but still not good enough.
I think Hall is getting better every week. Like you say the endeavour has always been there, and I reckon the clangers and disposal issues are getting better from one week to the next.

I think Hall is getting better every week. Like you say the endeavour has always been there, and I reckon the clangers and disposal issues are getting better from one week to the next.
I think people overlook the fact he actually WINS the ball. Bit like Kyron. You need blokes to win the bloody thing first. Hall just looks like he‘s trying to do too much. Ya can’t question his endeavour. He’s def head in hands type stuff though.

I think people overlook the fact he actually WINS the ball. Bit like Kyron. You need blokes to win the bloody thing first. Hall just looks like he‘s trying to do too much. Ya can’t question his endeavour. He’s def head in hands type stuff though.

It would have helped if someone had yelled “hot Hally” prior to that tackle but I suppose he wouldn’t have been able to hear over the deafening noise of the crowd...sigh

It would have helped if someone had yelled “hot Hally” prior to that tackle but I suppose he wouldn’t have been able to hear over the deafening noise of the crowd...sigh
It’s actually a thing I miss with the crowds back....I did like hearing the players talk.
in saying that, I reckon that‘s one of Aaron’s glaring weaknesses anyway, hearing what’s going on around him.

He was in the middle of his kicking motion too. Just lacked a single iota of awareness that another player was behind him. That said, he's been quite acceptable over the last 3 weeks.
Poor awareness and the inability of Atley to even be bothered to shepherd. Even a half assed shepherd gives a metre or a step or two.

Who would you have prefered playing for us today LDU or Cam Raynor. That's the difference fighting to win a dead rubber can make.

I SERIOUSLY don't see any type of winning culture that has emerged from late season wins against teams with their foot off the gas.

Any delusion comes from the thought a late win in a dead year builds culture.

Not accepting mediocrity builds culture, and that by far is the biggest difference between us and the bigger more successful clubs.
The best performed players out of that draft so far are probably Naughton, Stephenson and Brayshaw. I wouldn't say Raynor has done much yet and by the ends of their careers I reckon Luke will be ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the best hand we've ever had at the draft this year.

We have an atrocious injury list.

The season is heavily compromised due to covid 19.

We can use this year to help speed up the process of rebuilding by giving the kids we have time. By almost ignoring the W/L. By winding back senior players who can't take us forward.

We are better than we're displaying but there is the very real likelihood we can add the equivalent of two Jys this year.

Bottom 4 this year. Mid 6 next year. Finals and pushing in 2022.

It puts a time frame on our seniors that are good enough.

Ask yourself if this year is shot. If it is what would beating Carlton today got us?

That winning feeling in an unsuccessful year?

This is the narrative every down-on-their-luck supporter group sells themselves, though, isn't it? "We're not as bad as we look out there, we've got a good crop of young players already, we're not like other teams when they've been down the bottom and found that good picks aren't the panacea they thought, we have a horrible injury list, we'll be challenging in 2-3 years if only we're poor enough this year." Nothing papers over deficiencies like the optimistic pretence that junk performances are really the first steps towards a flag; not all present pain begets long-term gain.

Not every kid thrives by being thrown straight in and relied upon. In a one-of-a-kind season, things are different, and younger players you'd normally let find their way in the VFL might need senior time to get the kind of development they can't get in scratch matches, especially when plenty of best-22 seniors are injured, but development is always a balancing act - if you want players to learn to execute their role with confidence then they need a team around them they can rely upon to play their parts in the gameplan too, which you don't get if you push the less stellar senior players out too quickly on a whim. As the GC/GWS expansions made abundantly clear, a good hand at the draft means nothing if you don't have the right environment for those players to come into, and the best kind of environment for young talent to thrive is a successful one.

If you ever find yourself asking "what would winning today get us?", you're doing football wrong: gaining confidence in our current systems means a rookie coach doesn't feel like he has to try absurd tactics like Polec on Cripps to make something happen, means the players as a group can develop the confidence in one another to play together more effectively long-term, and as much as you want to sneer at it, yes, it gets us a win and that is worth something in and of itself. Try it the other way round - game exactly like today, except Polec gets his kick at 3QT and converts, and Macmillan didn't handball to the man on the mark in the first term, we win by 5 points - and tell me, what would that have lost us? Nothing development-wise, because we still review the game, see the same manifest mistakes and work to rectify them (and if we don't, that would be a far deeper cultural problem at the club than any draft picks are going to resolve). So the only loss is... a pick downgrade, a slightly reduced chance at getting slightly better players than the draftees we'll still end up with. If we're really good enough to be "pushing in 2022", we won't be relying on a couple of unproven teenagers.

This is the narrative every down-on-their-luck supporter group sells themselves, though, isn't it? "We're not as bad as we look out there, we've got a good crop of young players already, we're not like other teams when they've been down the bottom and found that good picks aren't the panacea they thought, we have a horrible injury list, we'll be challenging in 2-3 years if only we're poor enough this year." Nothing papers over deficiencies like the optimistic pretence that junk performances are really the first steps towards a flag; not all present pain begets long-term gain.

I'm not suggesting we seek out losses. I expect us to win this coming week.

I expect us to beat Melbourne.

In fact after today given that we looked better than we have by some way recently we may pinch others on the way home

Not every kid thrives by being thrown straight in and relied upon. In a one-of-a-kind season, things are different, and younger players you'd normally let find their way in the VFL might need senior time to get the kind of development they can't get in scratch matches, especially when plenty of best-22 seniors are injured, but development is always a balancing act - if you want players to learn to execute their role with confidence then they need a team around them they can rely upon to play their parts in the gameplan too, which you don't get if you push the less stellar senior players out too quickly on a whim. As the GC/GWS expansions made abundantly clear, a good hand at the draft means nothing if you don't have the right environment for those players to come into, and the best kind of environment for young talent to thrive is a successful one.

Agree.

The balance is between upping responsibility of the kids and not embedding more of the same crap that has come before them.

Our goal kicking is a great analogy here.

If we need a clutch goal who do you feel more confident taking the kick Jack or Curtis?

I reckon the % is with Curtis.

So the balance is providing an environment to allow the composure to flourish without passing on the panic.

We can be a very uncomposed side.
If you ever find yourself asking "what would winning today get us?", you're doing football wrong: gaining confidence in our current systems means a rookie coach doesn't feel like he has to try absurd tactics like Polec on Cripps to make something happen, means the players as a group can develop the confidence in one another to play together more effectively long-term, and as much as you want to sneer at it, yes, it gets us a win and that is worth something in and of itself. Try it the other way round - game exactly like today, except Polec gets his kick at 3QT and converts, and Macmillan didn't handball to the man on the mark in the first term, we win by 5 points - and tell me, what would that have lost us? Nothing development-wise, because we still review the game, see the same manifest mistakes and work to rectify them (and if we don't, that would be a far deeper cultural problem at the club than any draft picks are going to resolve). So the only loss is... a pick downgrade, a slightly reduced chance at getting slightly better players than the draftees we'll still end up with. If we're really good enough to be "pushing in 2022", we won't be relying on a couple of unproven teenagers.

Do you think I'd have been upset if we won?

Nope.

I'm just not freaking out about a loss that is largely meaningless in a year where we've got a million things going while clearly rebuilding.

Pardon the intrusion. I thought your McKay took another big step today after a decent showing against Richmond.

Seeing him at VFL level the past few years wasn't sure but good to see the change.
thanks, he's been good the last two weeks, and shows enough to persist with (granted he's contracted next year anyway)

With Pick 2 North Melbourne select Will Phillips from the Oakley Chargers..
No father son or academy picks involved with this player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back