Autopsy vs Collingwood - Round 13 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Was only able to watch parts of the game tonight, but from what I saw it seemed like a relatively similar tale to the last two games to begin with - largely in control of the play in the first quarter but massively let down by our disposal standard (this time more noticeably bad forward 50 entries rather than shoddy turnovers in the midfield like, say, the Melbourne game), then faded from the game as it went on, often seeming a bit lost/unsure about exact system and structure again. On the latter point, moments that stood out for me from the second half included slow and hesitant switching (only to face congestion up ahead, as you'd expect, and not know where to go from there), and Hosie having a shocker with his decision to kick back into the D50 rather than take the safer down-the-line option: I don't want to pot a third gamer, especially one who clearly has some talent, but it was so obviously not the right play...

We simply weren't good enough; disappointing that so many on here will happily make excuses for a performance that so clearly didn't meet the standard (especially when the positivity brigade are often the same types who get so upset about "accepting mediocrity"... but I digress). As much as poor execution has hindered even our more promising passages of play, our approach when in possession is incredibly lacklustre, and has been for the majority of the season - and when our defensive endeavour (or indeed, effort in general) seems to come and go, there's little more than occasional glimpses of potential to take as positives from the game (unless I missed something really stellar...?), and the expectation simply has to be higher than that: we're going nowhere fast if we think a comfortable loss to a mediocre side like Collingwood is a passable result.

Our forward line prominently featured Mason Wood (literally nothing needs to be said), Hosie (raw 3 gamer), Xerri (a ruckman), Zurharr (out of form and looking surly), and Larkey (underdone and playing as the spearhead). Of course we had problems scoring...
I’d agree with this.

Also - Darcy Moore’s the best intercept defender I’m the AFL for mine ( and Maynard is handy)

Between the slow play bombs coming in, the hack kicks forward, and higgo’s helicopter’s going in there tonight..... is easy pickings for those defenders.

Need to look bigger picture with this result. Makes our draft hand really strong.

A Loss has...
- 1st Pick: Cemented us as bottom 2 (absolute worst case 3). Pick 2-3.
- 2nd Pick: Makes it really hard for Melbourne to make the 8 now. Pick 8-10.
- 3rd Pick: Makes it impossible for Essendon to make the 8. Pick 23-26.

Until we get a dedicated down the ground camera option there’s no point bemoaning the decision making of the players.

We literally don’t know what they’re looking at.

I had one moment of ‘yuck’ when Dumont had the ball on centre half back. The camera was behind him so you could see he had one early option to take a mildly risky but definitely makeable kick down the corridor that he thought better of and then chipped to the boundary.

Apart from that I have no idea what was happening upfield.

Until we get a dedicated down the ground camera option there’s no point bemoaning the decision making of the players.

I had one moment of ‘yuck’ when Dumont had the ball on centre half back. The camera was behind him so you could see he had one early option to take a mildly risky but definitely makeable kick down the corridor that he thought better of and then chipped to the boundary.

You good sir are bang on the money.

This particular play will be reviewed. Bank it!

I cant see Hawthorn finishing below us now.

We'd need to beat both Freo and GC.

They still have Adelaide in the run home.

At worst we will have a top 3 pick imo, obviously getting a pick ahead of Sydney is a priority.

Our system is no good and we have too many players who can't accurately land a 40-50m kick, this is giving us major problems exiting defensive 50, transitioning the ball forward and setting up forwards. Collingwood hit more of our forwards on the chest with passes than our entire team did.

I cant see Hawthorn finishing below us now.

We'd need to beat both Freo and GC.

They still have Adelaide in the run home.

At worst we will have a top 3 pick imo, obviously getting a pick ahead of Sydney is a priority.

We need another 1st round pick in 2021. 4 in 2 years to break the cycle we’re in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bailey has added quite a few strings to his bow this year that will hold him in good stead as a goal kicking wingman down the track.

For one, he is flying and taking contested marks, something he was never known for. Once he builds a body hes only going to be better in the air.

Still maintain he looks like being every bit as good as LDU and Jy, whom neither could really make a decent go of the position Bailey is currently being asked to play.

Been a real positive this year, just oozes class....

Name the other players in the league that would have gotten the fifty that Pendlebury got.

I’ll start:

Dangerfield
Cripps
Martin

One of the Giesch’s ball players.

Must be looked after at all costs.

Seems that rule is only brought out against us.

Shaw in the presser: I thought we played some really good footy tonight.

WTF?
At what point tonight did we play any semblance of good footy?
That performance was appalling. Unwatchable. Unreedeming.
If he thinks what we dished up tonight was "really good", then we've definitely got the wrong bloke.
I get that he needs to be positive, but as our last decent coach would say, "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!"

I think Bailey has added quite a few strings to his bow this year that will hold him in good stead as a goal kicking wingman down the track.

For one, he is flying and taking contested marks, something he was never known for. Once he builds a body hes only going to be better in the air.

Still maintain he looks like being every bit as good as LDU and Jy, whom neither could really make a decent go of the position Bailey is currently being asked to play.

Been a real positive this year, just oozes class....
He's great to watch although I reckon he's an iffy field kick.

And he looked like he's never seen a checkside performed let alone attempted one.

He was referring specifically to the first 2 and a half quarters. Considering the age and inexperience of the team (plus some of the deadwood we carried), we did reasonably OK to match it with Collingwood, depleted as they were, for that long.

Personally I thought that for the majority of the night, all things considered, the midfield did quite strongly and the defenders decently. At the end of the day we only lost by 5 scoring shots. We've had far worse losses this year.

Yeah it wasn't as good of a performance as last week, but we're kidding ourselves if we think that forward line is going to come close to kicking anything near a winning score most weeks.

Probably sounds like I'm defending Shaw, and I am to a degree, but personally I'm just happy to see some life in the man's face again and to me it also seems he and the footy department having been given the greenlight to turn over every stone on the list to see what we have (which I am personally thrilled about).

Ball Movement was slow. The switch of play was slow. Another ordinary performance. Another Goalless Quarter. This time last year we thumped Port. What has gone wrong? And don’t give the injuries excuse. :stern look

I love him but Cam needs a rocket. He can’t just blow in and out of the game when he wants to. Purposely watched his off the ball defensive work tonight....very ordinary, barely breaks in to a canter. Needs to fix it!
I suspect he's been carrying injury this year. He hurt his back in the pre season and doesn't look like he fully recovered. Hasn't been bad enough to keep him out of games, but definitely impacting his output.

Ball Movement was slow. The switch of play was slow. Another ordinary performance. Another Goalless Quarter. This time last year we thumped Port. What has gone wrong? And don’t give the injuries excuse. :stern look

We had 11 players with under 50 games experience, including 4 with 10 or under and another 3 under 20.

That plays a fairly big part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back