Autopsy vs Collingwood - Round 13 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We had 11 players with under 50 games experience, including 4 with 10 or under and another 3 under 20.

That plays a fairly big part.

In that port game we only had 5 players with under 50 games.

Average of 117.7 games experience with an age of 26yrs 2months vs Port, and an average of 76.1 games experience with an age of 24yrs 11months last night.

glenn2479

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Bailey has added quite a few strings to his bow this year that will hold him in good stead as a goal kicking wingman down the track.

For one, he is flying and taking contested marks, something he was never known for. Once he builds a body hes only going to be better in the air.

Still maintain he looks like being every bit as good as LDU and Jy, whom neither could really make a decent go of the position Bailey is currently being asked to play.

Been a real positive this year, just oozes class....
Agree with this. Ability to be a high possession winner. Stands out from a lot of our players because he has some pace and endurance. Hopefully he’s the second coming of JWS. Minus the ankle stuff obviously.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Btw Collingwood’s injuries are from a team that just lost a GF less than two years ago, leaving plenty of experience and quality on the park. Their capacity to win despite injuries is not comparable to North’s at the moment. I’d be more worried as a fan of theirs watching what was dished up by both sides last night.

Also I can’t see yet what Shaw is trying to do, let alone whether it’s any good, with our capacity to execute anything consistently being so limited pretty much all season. What he did last year gives me a lot of hope, but he needs much more than this season to get them playing his way consistently - and a decent list of players available who are capable of doing what they are asked to - and then we can see whether it’s a good plan or not.

jaspers_barber

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I suspect he's been carrying injury this year. He hurt his back in the pre season and doesn't look like he fully recovered. Hasn't been bad enough to keep him out of games, but definitely impacting his output.
He seems to be down on last years physicality So you might be right. But at the same time, given our injury management errors this season, surely we would rest him with the short turnovers...

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Snake Baker in his charming and quaint way summed it up." The forward line f...ed it up"' Same number of inside 50's but after the first 15 minutes no hope of scoring. Did anyone watching think that Walker down forward might have been worth a try? Young blokes like Larky will be inconsistent and he looked out of it so a run down back would have been a worthwhile experiment. Brown, fit, changes a lot.

McKay continues to impress. He looks slow but is always where he should be and I think he may be a quick decision maker. Wrong hair style, but he reminds me a bit of the early Bruce Doull.

Name the other players in the league that would have gotten the fifty that Pendlebury got.

I’ll start:

Dangerfield
Cripps
Martin
They said that particular free and fifty had been paid a few times times year. I only saw it paid to Martin against us.

Are they the only two times this year?

Ball Movement was slow. The switch of play was slow. Another ordinary performance. Another Goalless Quarter. This time last year we thumped Port. What has gone wrong? And don’t give the injuries excuse. :stern look

We rebuilt the footy department then COVID hit and we only took development coaches to the hub.

Injuries are obvious tho. So many times the ball was kicked to where we expect Brown to take the relieving mark on the wing. Is that an injury or a structural (with no line coaches) issue?

Cos him missing means we don't have that option but not having an effective coaching team means there may be no one working on replacing that play with a different player or different set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love him but Cam needs a rocket. He can’t just blow in and out of the game when he wants to. Purposely watched his off the ball defensive work tonight....very ordinary, barely breaks in to a canter. Needs to fix it!
its like the best thing that could happen is an opponent whacks him early in the game, its like he needs a spark to get going.

Shaw in the presser: I thought we played some really good footy tonight.

WTF?
At what point tonight did we play any semblance of good footy?
That performance was appalling. Unwatchable. Unreedeming.
If he thinks what we dished up tonight was "really good", then we've definitely got the wrong bloke.
I get that he needs to be positive, but as our last decent coach would say, "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!"

Did you see the look on his face at the end of the game?

The press conference is just positivity and bullshit. Always has been (I don't think I've listened to one of Rhyce's yet,) but he looked pretty upset at the end of the game.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I slept on this one because I was disappointed last night.

But, there was plenty to like.

We had a really young side take it to a top 8 side for a half, and realistically the only reason we lost was something in our control: ball retention.

It's worth noting as well that I feel Collingwood were up and about last night. They brought a lot of pressure and tackled hard.

Luke McDonald is in AA form.

Jed Anderson is now consistently finding >23+ disposals, the equivalent of 25+ in a normal length game. He picked up 30 last night with 9 clearances. From 70 per cent TOG too.

If he can keep doing this then we have plucked another A Grade midfielder from nowhere. We'd have gone from having Higgins, Cunnington, and Polec to a degree, to Higgins, Cunnington, Polec, Anderson, Jy and potentially LDU looming large.

The question is, how does Jed fair when Ben gets back? He is doing a wonderful job replacing him right now.

Jy was extremely lively early. I actually thought he had 25+ as well.

LDU did a few good things again last night and is building. 22 touches from 73% TOG. He looks every bit as good as Jy right now and the kid has just got back from OP.

Jack Mahony looks to be a player.

Nick Larkey competed bravely against a pies defence which, with Darcy Moore marking everything, is no easy feat.

Ben McKay continues to impress.

Bailey Scott appears to be competent at every role we give him, and where did the marking come from?

I didn't like the game plan. The pies locked us out of the corridor really well and we played into that. It gave them time to get back and gave Darcy Moore a chance to read the play ahead of him.

The sky isn't falling in. This 'rebuild' won't take long.

its like the best thing that could happen is an opponent whacks him early in the game, its like he needs a spark to get going.
Remember last year Shaw said to him to do anything early in the game. Put a bit of body on and hit someone hard if he can't get his hands on the ball. He isn't getting involved enough quickly enough.

I slept on this one because I was disappointed last night.

But, there was plenty to like.

We had a really young side take it to a top 8 side for a half, and realistically the only reason we lost was something in our control: ball retention.

It's worth noting as well that I feel Collingwood were up and about last night. They brought a lot of pressure and tackled hard.

Luke McDonald is in AA form.

Jed Anderson is now consistently finding >23+ disposals, the equivalent of 25+ in a normal length game. He picked up 30 last night with 9 clearances. From 70 per cent TOG too.

If he can keep doing this then we have plucked another A Grade midfielder from nowhere. We'd have gone from having Higgins, Cunnington, and Polec to a degree, to Higgins, Cunnington, Polec, Anderson, Jy and potentially LDU looming large.

The question is, how does Jed fair when Ben gets back? He is doing a wonderful job replacing him right now.

Jy was extremely lively early. I actually thought he had 25+ as well.

LDU did a few good things again last night and is building. 22 touches from 73% TOG. He looks every bit as good as Jy right now and the kid has just got back from OP.

Jack Mahony looks to be a player.

Nick Larkey competed bravely against a pies defence which, with Darcy Moore marking everything, is no easy feat.

Ben McKay continues to impress.

I didn't like the game plan. The pies locked us out of the corridor really well and we played into that. It gave them time to get back and gave Darcy Moore a chance to read the play ahead of him.

The sky isn't falling in. This 'rebuild' won't take long.

I agree with all of that.

Apart from one trivial thing...

The game is 20% shorter than it normally is.

That means a 20 possession game is worth 24 possessions and a 25 possession game should net 30 in a full length game. A lot of our mids have started to ramp up their involvement going by that stat. Jy's early games were all high 25 possession plus games and LDU has had a few 20+ as well.

That means we are getting a lot more of the ball than we did a few years ago when people bemoaned our lack of high possession ball winners. Yes it's more opportunity to turn things over but if you don't get the ball you can't win either.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People just need to take a chill pill.

The first half was a really good effort and when you play alot of young blokes they will drift off in the second half.

If we wanted the 4 points I can think of 3 team selections and about 8 positional moves we would have made which would have been worth 5 goals BUT that wasn't - nor should it be - the priority for us in these practice match like games.

There was plenty to like about last night and the combined past fortnight have been real positives out of a very ordinary year.

Get some elite youth into the squad at year end - get rid of the deadwood - and that will put us in good stead for next year and beyond.

I am more bullish on our chances next year from this past fortnight - EVW, LDU, Mahoney, BMAC to name a few - have really progressed.

Enjoy the last few weeks and hopefully we keep playing the kids as that is the future for us.

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They said that particular free and fifty had been paid a few times times year. I only saw it paid to Martin against us.

Are they the only two times this year?
I think that free and 50 is meant to be paid if it prevents the player linking up for the next disposal? My memory of the play is that he wasn't impeded and the ball had been kicked 50 metres away. If he was impeded, how on Earth was it judged that he was linking up to that disposal?

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with all of that.

Apart from one trivial thing...

The game is 20% shorter than it normally is.

That means a 20 possession game is worth 24 possessions and a 25 possession game should net 30 in a full length game. A lot of our mids have started to ramp up their involvement going by that stat. Jy's early games were all high 25 possession plus games and LDU has had a few 20+ as well.

That means we are getting a lot more of the ball than we did a few years ago when people bemoaned our lack of high possession ball winners. Yes it's more opportunity to turn things over but if you don't get the ball you can't win either.

Good point, I was just guesstimating with 23 to 25, etc.

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
I cant see Hawthorn finishing below us now.

We'd need to beat both Freo and GC.

They still have Adelaide in the run home.

At worst we will have a top 3 pick imo, obviously getting a pick ahead of Sydney is a priority.

Are we any chance of a) asking for a priority pick, and b) getting one?

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
I reckon they kicked 3 absolute fluke/hand of god goals tonight, and were gifted a couple more.

They're rubbish.
They were slightly less injured, and slightly less worse than us. I wouldnt say they were rubbish because I wouldnt be that rude, and thats not a dig at you, but I don't think they are that good either. Its the same story and its becoming a common one if we were a bit cleaner, who knows...

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
They were slightly less injured, and slightly less worse than us. I wouldnt say they were rubbish because I wouldnt be that rude, and thats not a dig at you, but I don't think they are that good either.

Ok.

They are poorly coached. I am certain of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back