Preview vs Dogs (4:40 Sat @ Etihad)

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Changes

- We get Harvey back.

- They will likely get Griffen, Murphy and Gia back.

- Higgins, Wood and Dickson are their unavailable best 22 players.

Recovery

- They have one less day and a trip back from Perth.

Matchups

Goldstein vs Minson - These two lead the way in hitouts this season.

Petrie vs Roughead - The young Dog is their only good KPP at the moment. Can play.

Picken vs Someone - He's been playing mostly in defence this year so Thomas seems a likely matchup. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Harvey or Wells either.

Morris vs Someone - I think he's a great matchup for Lindsay but with 3 genuine talls in our side he might be forced to play on Daw/Taz or Black. If he doesn't we'll probably get a mismatch with Black vs Tom Young.

Swallow vs Lower - He's their man for the dominant inside mids.

Thompson vs Jones - He's unfit and inconsistant but one of their forwards who could potentially have a big day. I'll be disappointed if Thompson doesn't destroy him.

Atley vs Dahlhaus - Should be fun.

Hine/Bastinac vs Griffen - Someone has to tag him. Like the jobs on Rich/Hartlett, one of those two will surely pick him up after the centre bounces.

Ziebell vs Boyd - These two always play on each other at stoppages.

Cunnington vs Liberatore - By virtue of Ziebell/Boyd and Swallow/Lower being almost definite matchups, these two will spend a lot of time next to each other at stoppages. They're the best two kids in the comp when it comes to contested ball and clearances. Looking forward to this battle.

Wright vs Cooney - We'll try to lock down on him when he's in defence. Has bounced back this year.

They've got a bunch of other scrappers like Smith, Addison, Cross and Stevens. Any of them could be used in a lockdown role. Last time they locked down Wells but Harvey got away from them.

General Thoughts

- They've got a bunch of other scrappers I haven't mentioned like Smith, Addison, Cross and Stevens. Any of them could be used in a lockdown role. Last time they locked down Wells but Harvey got away from them.

- Griffen, Murphy, Boyd, Cooney, Liberatore, Morris, Picken, Minson, Roughead, Wallis and Dahlhaus are good but it drops off very quickly after that. The rest of their best 22 are either too young to be playing good footy or genuine battlers.

- The makeup of our midfields are pretty similar. I would argue that our two clubs have the worst outside mids in the comp (maybe not anymore with Harvey back) but very strong clearance mids. We're unlikely to get the same dominance from Goldstein that we've enjoyed for the first 6 rounds. We're about even with them in contested ball and clearances for the season. Even if we break even in that area I think we win pretty comfortably because we have the edge I50 at both ends IMO.

Should win by 7 goals minimum. But we all remember what happened last year.

Underestimate them and we will be lucky to get out of it with a win.

They are a competitive unit.

Yep they took us out last year, couldve been costly and its not like we're flush with premiership points atm.

We weren't that flash for a good chunk of the match when we rolled them in round 19.

They have a good core group of senior players, a solid honest ruckman and a couple of gun young clearance players. We will need to show up sharp and ready.

I expect our defence to make life hard for them, but we need our tall forwards to expose them this week.

Should win by 7 goals minimum. But we all remember what happened last year.

After that Weagles game and subsequent Dogs loss I heard a rumour that the boys did too many weights that week and were knackered.

Anywho, its reverse this year.

This is going to be ugly.

Much better than it being on Mothers day like last year.

I'm still slightly haunted by that disgraceful day. No noise, no passion and no effort. It's the only game I have ever been to where multiple North supporters came up to me bagging the team/coach etc.

Oh, so we're not playing on Mother's day. I'm looking forward to boomer coming back. Thanks Judge Jones- a-se-ole.

Will Minson ain't a good, solid ruckman.

He's going to keep Goldy extremely busy this weekend. Actually really underrated at this point is The Philosopher.

And great to see Nic Nat back in form for the following week.

Our form line through the Geelong game is holding up. We are looking very solid now.

For the first time in a long time, our output has been consistent.

About the only part of this game we'll be a chance of winning is the inside midfield battle. (As with all our games)

You'll get a fair chunk of goals from unforced turnovers.

About the only part of this game we'll be a chance of winning is the inside midfield battle. (As with all our games)

You'll get a fair chunk of goals from unforced turnovers.

That will make two of us.

The lists are really quite similar. They have slightly more old blokes, our kids have more experience and they have pretty much no one any good in the 23-28 age bracket.

Back