Autopsy vs Eagles - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

He might not be the man for the job but our midfield has broadly been better during this season since Shaw took the reins and Crocker has been working with the midfield, hasn't it?

Its looked better because of pressure. If they don't bring that we struggle. We need more than just that.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lets be honest the main difference in this game compared to others was that Thommo wasn't playing and Tarrant had a shocker, normally they bail us out every game.
Our players don't use the ball well enough, Especially Jmac, Dumont and all too often JZ blazing away.
We did try to tackle our issues during the off season by getting players such as Polec, Hall and Tyson but 2 of those haven't come though and we badly miss Jacobs.
Who do we have who can run and carry the ball?
Shaw was one of the best at it during his playing days, surely he will look at this.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That was a flat performance.
Defense....got absolutely hammered all day. Ahern could be better suited to being a defender, but needs to be more accountable.
Tarrant had a dog day afternoon
Durdin, just disappointing
Marley, tried hard all day
J. Mc, poor
Pittard...went missing
Midfield......yep it was tough on the young kids, Thomas and LDU.but they showed real promise

Higgins ....poor
Cunners at least kept trying.
Jed has had better
Goldy was ok
Polec....worked hard on the wing and created options
Dumont just ordinary
Forwards weren't copping the best feeds
Larkey worked hard all day
Ben needs to toughen up
The Bull was tough and good in the air
Mase, did some good, but faded out
Jy..and Jz. went missing.
Garner...very unimpressive.

They carved us up all over the ground, but there a class act. It looked like we were tired from the beginning and nobody really stepped up.
Fitness and clean disposal were lacking, but those things can be fixed. We need to look at our lack of speed on the spread.

Off season needs to see BB being fed Raw tofu or something and toughen him up.
Thompson was missed today so clearly we need another year out of him.
I would like to have a look at Hosie so get him in, he seems to bring a bit of grunt to the forwardline.
All's not lost, we have some good players to come back from injury next year so back to the drawing board.

Well said mate, agree with everything here.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was pretty funny when he said Goldstein might have been winning hitouts but Hickey was dominating in hitouts to advantage. Then they showed the stats - Hickey had exactly ONE hitout to advantage to that point in the game and Goldstein had half a dozen.

Healy is a flog.

But we all know there are two Goldy’s. The elite one who rucks and then the one who attempts to make a disposal during play. I was unimpressed. I involuntarily clench when he goes for a kick or handball.

Disagree he has zero pace. He is quicker than he tested and how he looked at times last year. However, no he is not a speedy player or a line breaker but he has enough pace to affect the play both offensively and defensively. His closing speed is actually pretty solid. Ahern also has some good acceleration. What we lack is the line breaking speed that challenges opposition setups and creates chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're right about Thomas. Has more speed around the contest than we were led to believe. He tracks the contest too (9 of 11 possessions contested) so he may have even more pace that we don't see.

Spot on about the need for line breakers too. We just didn't get that part of the game under Brad.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
You're right about Thomas. Has more speed around the contest than we were led to believe. He tracks the contest too (9 of 11 possessions contested) so he may have even more pace that we don't see.

Spot on about the need for line breakers too. We just didn't get that part of the game under Brad.

I think we will target Lachie Ash for this reason, even if we reach a little higher for him by a pick or two.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
You cannot pin a loss on the 4th midfielder and a sub 20 gamer back from the VFL.

Apparently we should be reading a young key defender’s career the last rites in a game where his AA quality teammate was also taken apart.

Some justified focus on statistically sound but anecdotally questionable ruckman. Less on a missing captain. Or a “Shinboner” onballer who is elite at winning and using it..

..stopping an opponent.. not so much.

There’s also a tall forward who like it or not can get chopped out of game pretty easily with some attention these days.

The seniors should be as scrutinised as the juniors if we’re being fair.

Lets be honest the main difference in this game compared to others was that Thommo wasn't playing and Tarrant had a shocker, normally they bail us out every game.
Our players don't use the ball well enough, Especially Jmac, Dumont and all too often JZ blazing away.
We did try to tackle our issues during the off season by getting players such as Polec, Hall and Tyson but 2 of those haven't come though and we badly miss Jacobs.
Who do we have who can run and carry the ball?
Shaw was one of the best at it during his playing days, surely he will look at this.

... and WC are very good and in form, with, relatively, few injuries and it was in Perth. We were never going to win that game, plain and simple. I’d argue that no team in the competition would have taken the Eagles down on Saturday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
whats with the hate on Durdin? he started off slow but i didn't see Darling after the 1st quarter. Tarrant was getting smashed that the actually swapped Durdin onto Kennedy a few times. Does anyone know exactly how many were kicked on Tarrant? Watching the telecast i would of said at least 5?

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You'd think people would learn from players like Polec, Hall, Higgins and Pittard that bringing in one quick outside player doesn't automatically make your team fast.

We could draft Ash, but that would just make us a slow team with a quick player in it. It wouldn't hurt bringing in somebody like that, but we're a slow side because our midfield is one paced and doesn't transition well. If you want us to play like a quicker side then you need to address Cunnington, Ziebell and Dumont.

It's easy to point at guys like Jetta and Ryan as an example of why West Coast are quick, but that doesn't give enough credit to guys like Yeo, Gaff, Shuey and Sheed who are constantly able to get to the next contest and have an impact on it. At the clearances both teams are spreading to the next contest once the ball comes out; for most of the year our midfield has been second place in getting to that next contest and it's the biggest thing hurting us. Until we figure this out, we're not a side that deserves to make finals.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
whats with the hate on Durdin? he started off slow but i didn't see Darling after the 1st quarter. Tarrant was getting smashed that the actually swapped Durdin onto Kennedy a few times. Does anyone know exactly how many were kicked on Tarrant? Watching the telecast i would of said at least 5?

The way Tarrant was going, if AFL rules allowed the possibility of kicking an own goal (as can happen in soccer), Tarrant would have kicked a couple for West Coast.

You'd think people would learn from players like Polec, Hall, Higgins and Pittard that bringing in one quick outside player doesn't automatically make your team fast.

We could draft Ash, but that would just make us a slow team with a quick player in it. It wouldn't hurt bringing in somebody like that, but we're a slow side because our midfield is one paced and doesn't transition well. If you want us to play like a quicker side then you need to address Cunnington, Ziebell and Dumont.

It's easy to point at guys like Jetta and Ryan as an example of why West Coast are quick, but that doesn't give enough credit to guys like Yeo, Gaff, Shuey and Sheed who are constantly able to get to the next contest and have an impact on it. At the clearances both teams are spreading to the next contest once the ball comes out; for most of the year our midfield has been second place in getting to that next contest and it's the biggest thing hurting us. Until we figure this out, we're not a side that deserves to make finals.

Spot on MR. The issue facing us is that quite a few of our mid type players are slow and we need to move them on. Cunnington is a lock so need to look at Dumont and JZ. I still think JZ's best role most weeks is as a forward / utility with limited midfield time (which takes a spot in that forward line from a regular). Dumont is a good solid player and has worked bloody hard to get where is in the team. I still think in our setup he should be traded for both his sake and ours. There are others that push through the middle that are also on the slower side (particularly around the contest, rather than straight line with a head of steam) such as Jmac & Ahern. I looked at our team on the weekend and struggled to see a number of weak links but the reality is that we need more run in the middle of the ground. I think some of that is on the list already, the bigger issue is that some favourites (and not so favourites) are going to need to make way from the 22 to rebalance things. These are players that have more than a fair claim on a spot in that 22 in isolation, but as a team we can't afford to have them all there.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Four on Tarrant, I'd say. One in the first quarter was on Durdin when I think Tarrant was on the bench. At least two where Kennedy got away from Tarrant, and he outmarked Tarrant I think twice.

We were really scrappy in defence and Kennedy was able to get free a few times as our guys went to cover. It was a bit of a shambles down there, to be frank, summed up by Kennedy's last goal, where he marked cleanly and was surrounded by four of our blokes. I was in the front row behind the goals (waving one of those ******* streamer things....) and you could see the look on their faces was one of resignation from probably time on in the first quarter.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You cannot pin a loss on the 4th midfielder and a sub 20 gamer back from the VFL.

Apparently we should be reading a young key defender’s career the last rites in a game where his AA quality teammate was also taken apart.

Some justified focus on statistically sound but anecdotally questionable ruckman. Less on a missing captain. Or a “Shinboner” onballer who is elite at winning and using it..

..stopping an opponent.. not so much.

There’s also a tall forward who like it or not can get chopped out of game pretty easily with some attention these days.

The seniors should be as scrutinised as the juniors if we’re being fair.

Very good post KC

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Must be the first bloke to ever have a stinker too, cos Healy reckons it means he's not much chop.
He did have a stinker though. Kennedy hasn't been able to buy a goal for about 6 weeks. He kicks one from the boundary in the first 5 minutes, which set the tone. It wasn't helped that he was having to mind his own player and cover for another because Durdin was shithouse. Thompson would have been the ideal match up for Darling. Taller and stronger and would have put some physical pressure on him, which he doesn't like.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
We appeared to be down on energy. We hit hard, chased and tackled (eventually) but at nowhere near the ferocity of recent weeks. I expected a loss but hoped for the full effort of recent weeks, which we lacked as we chased tail (slowly) on the back of WC’s midfield dominance. Stuff it!
Yes, we got slaughtered in the midfield. If we had won that battle, I think we would have won. I would back our forwards against their backline. Even with Hurn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back