Autopsy vs Essendon - Rd 15, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

On AFL360 re Dons/North

Huddo: They played to their strengths.
Robbo: They were allowed to play to their strengths.

Yep, thats why they won. We only turned it on our terms for 1 quarter which was the third.

First quarter was an arm wrestle
Second was all essendons gamestyle
Third was ours.
Fourth was again an arm wrestle into submission.

And that is why it was so disappointing. Everyone knows the way they want to play.
I would honestly like to know if it was an instruction to go head to head like that or if our guys lost their heads and went ball chasing.

I would honestly like to know if it was an instruction to go head to head like that or if our guys lost their heads and went ball chasing.

I hope it was the latter and the loss burns.

If it was the former reckon we're gonna be just about done. Teams will get us on the outside and we'll be troubled far more than we can cope with on the run home.

Let's see what we do with Gold Coast because they'll 100% try to get outside of us.

If it was the former reckon we're gonna be just about done. Teams will get us on the outside and we'll be troubled far more than we can cope with on the run home.

Let's see what we do with Gold Coast because they'll 100% try to get outside of us.

This loss harked back to the 'all in, none out' around the contest losses that have plagued this team over the years.

Still a lot of positives out of 2018.

Anderson, Jacobs, would have said Wood but injured again, Ahern, Brown, Daw, Hartung missed him yesterday, Zurhaar, I think we're on the right track (finally) with the type of players we are drafting and like plenty I have high hopes for a few yet to debut.

" we went away from our game plan after leading by around 20 points, Brad not happy".

Oh and Bryce Lewis nucking futs. Nothing to see there. Poor blighter hope he comes good.

See above.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in this thread yet. I re-watched a few highlights before and * were kicking goals that you would rate a 1 out of 10 chance at kicking.

Fantasia, Merrett, a couple from McKernan...they just couldn’t miss. On the flip side we have Wood that misses a couple of sitters, and even Brown missed a couple he would normally kick.

While a 3 goal loss to * hurts, on another day when those shots at goal don’t go through, the result is reversed.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in this thread yet. I re-watched a few highlights before and * were kicking goals that you would rate a 1 out of 10 chance at kicking.

Fantasia, Merrett, a couple from McKernan...they just couldn’t miss. On the flip side we have Wood that misses a couple of sitters, and even Brown missed a couple he would normally kick.

While a 3 goal loss to * hurts, on another day when those shots at goal don’t go through, the result is reversed.

One of the MxKernan goals was like a pinball. Just bounced off two blokes, literally landed in his hands and he kicked it ! Goal !

DapperFatalArctichare-size_restricted.gif

And he got 50 metres for that.

Fine for diving?

And that useless Mr Magoo Umpire...but look whats worse...look at Kimmi Schitt come running in top right to save the day
What about Margetts? Running a 100m sprint!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not mentioned?

I posted 6 gifs on this.

I've come around to thinking that there were a lot of lessons for north to learn from losing to *.

North's weaknesses were exposed (as if most weren't already pretty obvious anyway). There were also enough signs that north have some really good players, and with a few holes plugged by acquired talent that matches our own deficiencies along with some home grown development of the right blokes in their best positions we should be in a better place by this time next year. Winning or losing that game probably won't impact our chances for the 2018 cup, but if we recognise the needs and properly focus on quality players who bring the right skills into the club, then the war chest is the vehicle that can deliver what we need. The next couple of years could be a very nice ride.

Just don't splash it around like Twinkletoes on pay week down at tendertouch, please.

Well, losing definitely does have an impact on our chances in 2018. While we do have weaknesses, we do have strengths as well. Brown is leading the Coleman, Goldy is playing well, Higgins and Cunnington are really good and play a lot better when Jacobs is murdering the opposition's best midfielder, Ziebell is playing well up forward, our defence while not elite is solid when we slow the ball movement. If we play with the ferocity of our good games, if we stop the opposition getting uncontested marks/possessions and put them under pressure and tackle aggressively then I think we can beat anyone and losing to mid table or lower sides like Essendon and Gold Coast means we wont give ourselves every chance come finals.

I don't expect players to do the lucky stuff or the classy stuff on a consistent basis, however, can the individual players at the club watch the first half against Hawthorn then watch the first half against Essendon and give me an honest reason individually and as a team why they couldn't apply the same defensive intensity on the opposition.

The problem wasn't they had a few players that were quick and were able to do circle work around 6+ of our players, the problem was the amount of space we gave them to work and the lack of frontal force or pressure which doesn't allow even a team full of Usain Bolts get past you. I'd say we had too much turnstile tackling but even during the halcyon days of turnstile tackling, there is still the intent to tackle. We didn't have the hunger or desire to do the defensive efforts, to push up, pressure players, there was a lack of want or desire to do the hard work, looking to occupy space or corral, without the pressure on and the heat when you try to corral you become a training cone for fast players.

I am a realist in that I know what we are capable of, but seriously, the difference between the laughing stock Richmond and the premiership Richmond has been the work rate, intensity and pressure. Bulldogs won a flag playing that way, turned to s**t when they didn't. Not suggesting we will win the flag if we go hard, but we are no hope if we don't, not now, not in the future with more class players.

We are just not executing now something we know we can do and that makes us a weaker team and a team easier to beat. I am a little disappointed that after realising what was possible, we have lacked the desire to continue to reproduce it. Win, loss or draw, when we play to the best of our ability I am content, because we gave it everything. Does anyone feel the game against Essendon was remotely as good as we can give?

And he got 50 metres for that.

Fine for diving?

And that useless Mr Magoo Umpire...but look whats worse...look at Kimmi Schitt come running in top right to save the day
Are serious?? Cunners jumped after he marked it!!! If that was a Kangas player getting hit and no 50 was given scottywiper would have started 3 threads, one on the injustice of the decision, one on how the umps cheat against us and one how umpires can’t pull chicks.

Are serious?? Cunners jumped after he marked it!!! If that was a Kangas player getting hit and no 50 was given scottywiper would have started 3 threads, one on the injustice of the decision, one on how the umps cheat against us and one how umpires can’t pull chicks.
Even i agree with that!!! Ha ha
50 every day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back