Autopsy vs Fremantle - Rd 17 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Another painful to watch performance. Alarm bells are ringing for me. Never in my 40+ years of watching North have I seen a season this bad. We don’t normally dont go on these long sustained s**t run of losses. So many unskilled and dumb players, where do you start? Game plan is non existent, players look defeated and deflated. Shaw has a massive job on his hands. If we are still this crap and performance level hasn’t improved half way through next season then questions will need to be asked about Shaw.

Another painful to watch performance. Alarm bells are ringing for me. Never in my 40+ years of watching North have I seen a season this bad. We don’t normally dont go on these long sustained sh*t run of losses. So many unskilled and dumb players, where do you start? Game plan is non existent, players look defeated and deflated. Shaw has a massive job on his hands. If we are still this crap and performance level hasn’t improved half way through next season then questions will need to be asked about Shaw.
Personally I think Shaw has to go next week should be his last game he’s had a go we need a coach with an idea Shaw has no frigin idea . North do the honourable thing and show Shaw the Door . 5 goals a game it’s a joke .

It is not just the game plan, Brad evolved the game plan to limit the damage caused by having a very slow midfield, but we had the cattle to pull it off. We had Jacobs who shut down the most dangerous midfielder, we had Cunnington and Swallow who were inside beasts and we had Goldy and Higgins who were all australian in their position.

Swallow is gone.
Jacobs is cooked.
Cunnington has barely played this year.
Higgins is a shadow of his AA year.
Goldy is the only one of the old group who is playing decent footy.

We have two guys from the pine (Anderson and Dumont), one who can barely play more than 70% game time (Anderson) and one who isn't an inside midfielder trying to do the heavy lifting along with Simpkin who has played some fringe roles before Shaw.

Our system isn't just falling down because it is sh*t and doesn't suit the young kids coming in, but we don't have the cattle to play like we used to. The games we played really well under Shaw we played with such ferocity all over the park and intensity that sides hated playing against us, you can't sustain that type of pressure. Richmond is playing about as high a level that you can expect to sustain without major inconsistency in form. But that ferocity wasn't just defensive ferocity, it was offensive ferocity as well, when we were on we ran, we attacked, we used the corridor, we took the ball off the opposition.

What was running around today were blue and white cones.

When most clubs sack the coach, it is because they want to go a different direction. Scott was the one who wanted to a different direction and rebuild. The club was delusional about where we were at.

I think we can turn it around and relatively quickly, we just need to fix the midfield and get rid of players who can't hit targets. We need to be able to put more pressure on in the middle so our defenders have a hope of competing.

Shaw can't keep going on saying he is at a loss and he has no answers, you can't continue as coach if you have no idea what is going on. Our kids are getting pushed around too much, a lot more than kids at other clubs, our tackling is bad, our midfield structure is bad, there are a lot of the basics that need to be addressed. We cant just keep turning over the ball and have no system of moving the ball up the field, there was a stark difference between how Freo existed their defensive 50 and how we did. It is slow, there is no movement and it is just a predictable kick up the line. We are easy to play against atm. The amount of uncontested marks we allowed them to take was really poor. We can't promote a flat footed system in the middle and down back and then be surprised we are flat footed as opposition sides work to create space, lead into it and take uncontested marks.

We suck at the basics, these should be captain obvious problems to address.

Great anaylsis
If you want to point the finger and get to the nub of the issue, there are two things that really stand out to me.
First take a look at the draft between 2010 and 2016.
2010 Atley and 3 spuds
2011 4 spuds
2012 Garner, Jacobs, Wood, Gibson, Daw and 2 Spuds.
2013 L McDonld, Dumont, Brown
2014 EVW, Durdin and a spud
2015 McKay and 3 Spuds

These guys should now be the backbone of the team with 5 years plus under there belts.
13 spuds out of 25, so half our selections never made it.
as for the other half I'd say 7 have contributed to the team the rest have either been cruel by injury or not developed into anything resembling an AFL footballer. I'd go as far to say we have only picked up 4 players in this 6 year period who can hold their place in the team. That's 4 out of 25!

Secondly we should have moved players on after 2015 finals series and done a mini rebuild, trying to reload and go again has really cost us big time.
I think our drafting has improved in the last few years, but compromised drafts with the giants and Suns and priority picks up the wazoo while finishing mid table has finally come home to roost.

I friggen hope not ! Whats the point of recruiting a mid to turn him into a defender ? Hoping it’s just temporary due to injuries.
Great anaylsis
If you want to point the finger and get to the nub of the issue, there are two things that really stand out to me.
2010 Atley and 3 spuds
2011 4 spuds
2015 McKay and 3 Spuds

These guys should now be the backbone of the team with 5 years plus under there belts.
as for the other half I'd say 7 have contributed to the team the rest have either been cruel by injury or not developed into anything resembling an AFL footballer. I'd go as far to say we have only picked up 4 players in this 6 year period who can hold their place in the team. That's 4 out of 25!

Secondly we should have moved players on after 2015 finals series and done a mini rebuild, trying to reload and go again has really cost us big time.
I think our drafting has improved in the last few years, but compromised drafts with the giants and Suns and priority picks up the wazoo while finishing mid table has finally come home to roost.
So you saying we have a chance to pick up 2 spuds this year ? 👍😂

Great anaylsis
2010 Atley and 3 spuds
2011 4 spuds
2015 McKay and 3 Spuds

Who would you have gotten rid of after 2015?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine landing the dream job of being an AFL Footballer, and turning up to a game with the attitude and effort of someone working a late night shift at McDonald’s. We don’t expect you to win every week, but for fu** sake. At least try to. There are supporters who would busted their guts out for Goldy today.
The late shift still up sells though...

Difficult to pick positives out of that one...

One is honestly the fact we haven’t pulled together a miraculous win that builds false hope amongst board/players/coaches about where we are at. Nothing that they can spin to say “well if we just add this” or “maybe we tweak this” to turn things around.

The club will now hopefully start making long-term plans, and forget this short-term garbage. This should have happened 3 years ago, but instead we have wasted 3 years.

Taz, Goldy, and to a slightly lesser extent Higgins have been practically out of petrol tickets for weeks, now spluttering to a halt on fumes only in front of our very eyes.

At one stage I think I saw four guys running behind Larkey with arms outstretched hoping to give him enough momentum for a push start.

We appear done for the year.

Cooked.

Mentally shot.

Dreaming of two weeks laying down on Broadbeach.

What a shyte year it’s been!

Congrats on 250 Goldy.

This time its the players that need to be shown the Door.
Getting a new coach might get a few mid table finishes at best
The cupboard is bare
Small forwards and defenders have been terrible for years
Midfield has been average for 20 years apart from when Higgins in his prime polished things up with cunners
Spine and ruck is a wasteland in 2 years
The list is so horrendous

If the club wants to be ruthless we pay Shaw out.
DR you usually back in the coach. You supported Dean until his final year and even with Brad until 2019 you were sort of on board.
What do you see differently in Rhyce that has you concerned?

The team we are putting out on the park isnt that bad.
Majak cant get a game, Haydens a kid, Taylors a kid, Thomas is a kid.
Its just Cunnington and Brown.

Are we really 10 goals worse off than the offensive juggernaut that is Freo? Embarrassing performance, embarrassing last week and embarrassing in 2020 full stop.
I dont buy the injuries excuse. The only one I can make a case for is Cunnington as Brown was hopelessly out of form also and the rest are kids.

Yep. Taz particularly was pretty bad today, despite the lack of midfield support. Very rare to see him in the wrong spots so consistently.

Agree, but also Simpkin and LDU are as well. Both these guys are green as full time mids. They've done so in a brutal shortened season with sometimes 5 day breaks away from home. Ive no doubt both will be better for it.

Cunners back next year will help them no end. Polak and Higgins on wings with Brown and Larkey up front we'll be a different outfit. We have the cattle to turn it around quickly - get over injuries, get some hunger back, freshen up with natural improvement from tough lessons learnt.

We can and must, because a total rebuild now would be a 5 year proposition.

Well, by now everyone is disillusioned of the notion our list is ready to compete ASAP, so silver linings and all. Thanks COVID + the fairy that kneecaps our players.

And yeah, I get that it's not exactly ideal for the coach and board to misread where we stood but that's in the past and can't be changed, hopefully we genuinely do have a better understanding now and act accordingly. Personally I'm not convinced we're 3-5 years off like some people keep saying, but I also think we need a lot to go right very quickly on order to capitalize on the tail end of Goldy, Taz, and Higgins' careers. By all reports Brady is a smooth but ruthless operator, so while things look pretty ******* grim right now I'm cautiously optimistic that even by 2022 we could be making a push. Fix our half back issue, our small forward and forward pressure issue, get Cunners up and firing again, and throw in some natural growth to Zurharr, LDU, Larkey and the like and things could look very different very quickly. On the other hand we might not get the growth we want from the kids we have, our older heads might decline faster than expected, and we might suddenly be looking at a full on 5 year rebuild of the list from top to bottom.

Interesting times.
I like your first scenario.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back