Autopsy vs Fremantle Round 1 AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Blackburn was great to watch with her passion and skills.

Scott moves nicely too.

Only thing I felt that was missing as a spectacle was a lack of overhead marking.
Wouldve been nice if they had marked that attempted pass across goal that landed in the square :p Would've been a Graeme Allen / Beasley type effort

Not that there's any real competition or voting system going on, but

5. Kearney
4. Brennan
3. Ernst
2. Blackburn
1. Lochland

What a fantastic win. Certainly was a higher quality game than the first two so far, and when people are saying that Freo are a top 4/GF chance they aren't wrong, we were just a class above.

We certainly played smarter in regards to the wind. I've been saying this all pre-season - our 1-2 midfield punch in Blackburn and Kearney will be extremely difficult for teams to stop. They went to Blackburn and tagged her and that meant Kearney got off the leash. O'Connor up forward was a bit of a wildcard because she was having a shocker down back... and how brilliant was it that the goal that she kicked was another ruck (Ernst) hitting her lace out from a lead. For everyone saying the skills are crap... when was the last time that a ruck, any ruck, in the AFL hit their full forward lace out?

Brennan was not only struggling early, but Antonio her direct opponent was providing direct rebound. We caught a break with a mixture of our stoppage dominance and their 2nd ruck Chuot going down which forced Antonio into the ruck. That let Brennan get going in the 2nd half.

That certainly establishes us as heavy flag favourites - we won by a similar score that the Blues did to the Pies, but Freo are a much better side than the Pies. Go Dogs!

Haven't seen anybody else mention it, but just before the first bounce Susan Alberti came up into the stand to take her seat. Gave the crowd a wave and everybody stood and gave her a huge round of applause and cheer. It was a really nice moment and great to see so much pride and respect in our supporters.

Overunning the ball is a big problem for me...the no of times they could not pick up the ball with one touch...led to unnecessarily crowded and scrambly play.

That's the big difference for me.

And whilst I am a big supporter of women's football, I think I will quickly become bored if the ball handling skills do not improve.

It will be interesting to see if the crowds drop off in coming weeks after all the initial hype and exposure.

^^
This is where the elite players come in to play. Kearney, Blackburn and KB are one touch players. That Devescio chick who plays for the Blues. If you were
a defender, you'd be shitting your pants if the ball gets anywhere near her - she's either going to kick the goal or give a goal assist.

The fumbling is also caused by pressure and also the coaches have to work hard to teach them to learn that skill. Why do you think they keep track of
loose ball and hard ball gets in the AFL?!

Overunning the ball is a big problem for me...the no of times they could not pick up the ball with one touch...led to unnecessarily crowded and scrambly play.

That's the big difference for me.

And whilst I am a big supporter of women's football, I think I will quickly become bored if the ball handling skills do not improve.

It will be interesting to see if the crowds drop off in coming weeks after all the initial hype and exposure.
What's the point of saying "It will be interesting to see if the crowds drop off in coming weeks after all the initial hype and exposure." ?? That's been said before - I guess implying it may not be so popular or viable long term. Sure there is an element of excitement / hype and wanting to be involved in the pioneering stages of a new competition or enterprise, but there would be if it was a male comp or the level was higher too.
I hope it's successful but don't think there's much doubt about it.

What's the point of saying "It will be interesting to see if the crowds drop off in coming weeks after all the initial hype and exposure." ?? That's been said before - I guess implying it may not be so popular or viable long term. Sure there is an element of excitement / hype and wanting to be involved in the pioneering stages of a new competition or enterprise, but there would be if it was a male comp or the level was higher too.
I hope it's successful but don't think there's much doubt about it.

My comment was saying that I can see myself tiring of it until there are more players of skill in all sides; the question is whether others will feel the same, or is it just me. Maybe I will jump in a time machine and fast forward 2 years and enjoy the competition as it will be then!

Really enjoyed the evening

Having both a wife and daughter in her early 20's who are both members of the club, I was extremely proud the club I was born near, and been part of my life for 50 years and as a son of the west now has daughter's of the west representing me an my values what an auspicious night.

Sure their skills are not there yet, but they will get there. Sitting with my daughter I just imagined the excitement and pride each of the young ladies felt when they heard the roar and support of the crowd last night.

It is not about the money. My club supports the local community which cascades right throughout the west. My club now allows the daughters of the west the opportunity to be the proud representatives of the west.

Well done in round 1, I agree with those who have posted the best. You will have my and my families support for this year and years to come as you represent the club and all it stands for.

Oh and 2 changes to the song for the ladies, daughters of the west and the girls of the bulldog breed

Really enjoyed the evening

Having both a wife and daughter in her early 20's who are both members of the club, I was extremely proud the club I was born near, and been part of my life for 50 years and as a son of the west now has daughter's of the west representing me an my values what an auspicious night.

Sure their skills are not there yet, but they will get there. Sitting with my daughter I just imagined the excitement and pride each of the young ladies felt when they heard the roar and support of the crowd last night.

It is not about the money. My club supports the local community which cascades right throughout the west. My club now allows the daughters of the west the opportunity to be the proud representatives of the west.

Well done in round 1, I agree with those who have posted the best. You will have my and my families support for this year and years to come as you represent the club and all it stands for.

Oh and 2 changes to the song for the ladies, daughters of the west and the girls of the bulldog breed
Great post sir!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of s**t being talked on this thread. How about we stick to the topic and discuss the game? Is that too much to ask?

Brennan was not only struggling early, but Antonio her direct opponent was providing direct rebound. We caught a break with a mixture of our stoppage dominance and their 2nd ruck Chuot going down which forced Antonio into the ruck. That let Brennan get going in the 2nd half.

Yep, then she started pushing up the ground eventually out working Antonio, ending the game 2nd BOG IMO. It's a great sign considering Antonio is apparently the only defender that can legit match Brennan athletically. Imagine the damage she'll do on lesser defenders.

Having said that, I would've liked to see Brennan chucked into the midfield early game when Antonio was getting the best of her. Brennan's just so clean with her disposal and decision making that I reckon she could play the exact same role The Bont does, rotating as a big bodied midfield/forward.

TBH last week I was sceptical when Groves said that our top few players are the best in the comp. But he was clearly on the money. Which is reflected in the betting odds for the MVP, with Brennan currently 4th fav at $6, Kearney 6th at $8, Blackburn 7th at $9 and Lambert 20th at $31. Even GWS(men) would drool over having 3 of the top 7 players in the league, and 4 of the top 20.
And those odds are probably skewed due to the Lygon St Mafia , who love a big bet :cool:, throwing the big bucks on Vescio and Davey, which would explain why they're currently 1st and 2nd favourite. On top of their performances being magnified due to the Pies shitness. In time I think we'll find that Freo are a MUCH better team than the Pies.

Also O'connor, Scott and Ernst all have the potential to take out the MVP as well with some big performances IMO. Especially Asta O'connor, who has big upside considering she's just returned from a lengthy ACL injury. We got a glimpse of her potential with her booming kick for goal.
BTW was anyone else impressed with Hannah Scott's kicking? She was consistently roosting it 45+ meters on her kick ins (accurately too). Coming out of our backline, Scott and OConnor's booming kicks will be massive weapons.

Having watched all the games on the weekend, I think our game showed that both us and Freo are clearly a class above the rest of the comp. Especially our kicking and decision making. The amount of times we effortlessly hit up leading targets with our inside 50's is something that even our mens team struggled with for most of last season.

Last edited:
Adelaide is going to be a big challenge. They have some big bodied girls in their forward line.
I'm not too worried. Adelaide was predicted by everybody who knew their women's footy to be the 2nd worst team in the competition and nothing I watched in their win over GWS made me think any differently.

NSW/ACT women's footy is pretty terrible in terms of the talent pool - significantly worse than Queensland, and like Tasmania and NT "allies" have beaten them in previous U/18 state championship games etc.

Then both GWS's marquees were out injured in this game. They were given 4 priority picks in the hope that they'd be able to recruit players of similar quality to Kearney, Paxman, Arnell etc. but they couldn't convince any of them to Sydney, which means that the players they did convince to move are just that class below and probably would have only gone in the sort of 4th, 5th round range in the draft if they stayed in Victoria. And on top of all that, one of these priority players, who are still significantly better than their NSW players, was also out injured for this game.

The fact that GWS managed to put up a reasonably competitive game against Adelaide as a result is a massive indictment on Adelaide imho. They could get thumped massively by every team from here on in.

Freo was the big scalp and it's fantastic that we won. Playing Brisbane away from home in humid conditions they're used to and Carlton are the big challenged now imho.

I'm not too worried. Adelaide was predicted by everybody who knew their women's footy to be the 2nd worst team in the competition and nothing I watched in their win over GWS made me think any differently.

NSW/ACT women's footy is pretty terrible in terms of the talent pool - significantly worse than Queensland, and like Tasmania and NT "allies" have beaten them in previous U/18 state championship games etc.

Then both GWS's marquees were out injured in this game. They were given 4 priority picks in the hope that they'd be able to recruit players of similar quality to Kearney, Paxman, Arnell etc. but they couldn't convince any of them to Sydney, which means that the players they did convince to move are just that class below and probably would have only gone in the sort of 4th, 5th round range in the draft if they stayed in Victoria. And on top of all that, one of these priority players, who are still significantly better than their NSW players, was also out injured for this game.

The fact that GWS managed to put up a reasonably competitive game against Adelaide as a result is a massive indictment on Adelaide imho. They could get thumped massively by every team from here on in.

Freo was the big scalp and it's fantastic that we won. Playing Brisbane away from home in humid conditions they're used to and Carlton are the big challenged now imho.
Agree with all of that. Don't underestimate how important an interstate win is. Don't there there will be too many and for Brisbane to knock off the Dees could be a definining moment in the season given there is no actual finals series as such, just top two play off.

To be fair, Adelaide missed some very easy set shots. The score could have really blown out if they took their chances.

Once Phillips blew out her cobwebs, she killed it. If she brings that form to our game next week, it won't be an easy game IMO. We are definitely the better team though.

Haven't seen anybody else mention it, but just before the first bounce Susan Alberti came up into the stand to take her seat. Gave the crowd a wave and everybody stood and gave her a huge round of applause and cheer. It was a really nice moment and great to see so much pride and respect in our supporters.
Saw that. The Freo supporters in the stand applauded as well. It was a great moment. Respect.

Dogs player suspended, anyone see it?
Yeah, the Sudanese (?) ruck for Freo copped it, went off and didn't return. Their fullback had to move into the ruck as a result and KB got off the leash from there.

Didn't feel like a spiteful clash between players at the time, think it was graded as careless? That might be fair enough based on memory, I haven't seen a replay anywhere.

There were some other scuffles that had a lot more feeling in them over the duration of the match to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back