Autopsy vs Geelong

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
so PORT GWS GCOAST LIONS SAINTS all had the highest diff and all lost - so i dont see the point

I'm not saying that more kicks = more likely to win. Just that our game style this season involves a lot of over possessing of the ball by hand which clearly does not suit us as we get absolutely slaughtered on the rebound.

Watching a chain of handballs from half back break down somewhere around the half forward line due to opposition pressure, and watching their loose players mop it up and get it quickly down into their forward line is a sight that has become all too familiar this season.

Can't give a free against Ablett without penalising the other team.
This happened twice on Sunday. Each time a free against Ablett was paid the umps stopped play, apologised to Gary and begged for forgiveness before allowing play to continue. If the advantage was paid we’d have been in scoring positions.

Aug 24, 2006
THE BIG V
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Roo4Life Member
I'm not saying that more kicks = more likely to win. Just that our game style this season involves a lot of over possessing of the ball by hand which clearly does not suit us as we get absolutely slaughtered on the rebound.

Watching a chain of handballs from half back break down somewhere around the half forward line due to opposition pressure, and watching their loose players mop it up and get it quickly down into their forward line is a sight that has become all too familiar this season.
fair enough

Mar 31, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
We had our chances yesterday and effort wise I can’t complain. But we would have to be the worst handballing team of all time. Not only do we over handball to players into worse positions ( there was a piece of play yesterday where Higgins had the ball just inside the square defensive side and he literally didn’t even look forward he was that concerned with hand balling backwards) but we are just terrible at it, the amount of simple handballs we miss is unbelievable.
With all due respect, you have to be the worst team at failing to take advantage. You had Geelong on the ropes and then just kept ******* it up. Need to get
the skills sorted out big time.

Three minutes to go in the third quarter and we’ve brought ourselves back to only 10 points in arrears through exhilarating, direct and fast play. Suddenly we switch off and they score three goals in less than three minutes.

That my friends is a Brad Scott coached team. Mental fragility, inability to coach players in sticking to a “game plan”, skills that fail under pressure and a footy team unable to stop momentum.
Has been happening for years.

With all due respect, you have to be the worst team at failing to take advantage. You had Geelong on the ropes and then just kept ******* it up. Need to get the skills sorted out big time.
Why practice working on skills when our players could be out there buying property?

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe wrong thread for it but this game solidified it for me.. Wood, Higgins and Ziebell on the trade table at seasons end. And that’s just a start..

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
One other thing I have noticed watching the replay was that when a pack was formed North would have three or four players jumping and Geelong only one . A number of times they got the ground ball and away they went.
This has been happening for 10 years. We will never learn.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not an unfair comment. Although, to play devil's advocate one could claim that with a better plan this team would have had even more chances on goal and have won either way. Shades of 2018 Essendon about this game and some of the goals kicked, none of that excuses the 2 months before hand though.

What would be a better plan?

We deny teams the corridor and then force turnovers and it did very well for us last year and against Geelong, especially cos they rarely use the corridor (like his brother CScotts must be system driven and recognise that turnovers on the wing are potentially less damaging than ones in the corridor.) Because we are adept at defending this we played well against Geelong. We failed against Essendon a few weeks earlier cos we didn't do that well enough. They were able to move back into the centre square repeatedly from the HBF because the players on field didn't defend the weak spots on the edge of the square properly.

They are the ladder leader and we basically matched it with them because our structure were able to compensate for our poor kicking!!!

This is why i'm not completely over Scotts and keep leaving these outs for him (ie if we start kicking straight at goal and teammates or win the next 10 games he can stay.) I think he does have some actual strategic nous. He's not much chop tactically, tho he has shown he can adjust sometimes. And if he was the subject of an external independent review I imagine he might stay but under much different circumstances. if that review could force him to change his behaviours that cost us. Ie failure to coach stoppages properly and skill issues. I think this year he is showing himself to be more flexible with changes if he believes he has the cattle to drop players. Which was a knock on him for me.

This whole handball happy mess - its not a plan, its what players do under pressure because a long bomb can so often result in a turnover and goal. All teams mess it up.

not sure if anyone watched fox footy on the couch last night? Some pretty damning video footage of Turner on Ablett, he was basically no where near him and chasing the footy when Ablett kicked 2-3 goals.

Did they show the one where Ablett was alone in the centre square in the third quarter for (what seemed like) five minutes before he goaled? Someone (dunno who) left Ablett on his own and ran to a stoppage. I thought it was Dumont but it might have been Turner.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
not sure if anyone watched fox footy on the couch last night? Some pretty damning video footage of Turner on Ablett, he was basically no where near him and chasing the footy when Ablett kicked 2-3 goals.
I’ve got faith in Turner playing back. Kids got that burning desire to get better and Not be beaten. He’ll be better for the pasting.

Yep, and certainly did not barrel into Kelly's legs dangerously as the rule was designed. Utter crap!

And yet that kid with the dreads and awesome name did barrel into one of our players legs and take him out of the contest and nothing.

- This is why umpires seem so ****ed.

When it comes to them using their discretion it seems to always disadvantage us, never the other way. The umpires miss nearly a quarter of all frees. Sure some should be let go but it only seems they miss the obvious or important ones when we are playing. If they were consistent I wouldn't care as much.

And tbf they were consistent on the weekend in that plenty of soft frees both ways were not payed. That was good. But when that happens all it takes is a few soft ones to be payed to really influence the game. That also happened. -

That free to Kelly was one example. If the free against him was there why wasn't the only other example of something similar payed earlier?

This point directly relates to

This point.

Unless you believe the players are incapable of playing with composure.

There are certain players that seem to have no composure. But thinking about it ... Atley used to have none but seems to now. But otherwise yes its an issue.

And I'm pretty sure i have been talking about that as an issue as long as I've been posting here - so nearly 4 years.

Jack doesn't have it and he's our captain. He seems to function best when everything around him is happening at 100 miles an hour and he doesn't have the time to think. Goldy loses it at times and makes stupid decisions, especially in general play, not so much in the ruckwork. Simpkin was losing it until he went back to the VFL. JMac, Dumont, Brown, Turner and Wood have all played without it repeatedly. Browny in the goalsquare on the weekend is a classic example. Or missing that handball to Higgo in the 2015 prelim.

Something needs/needed to be done back then.

The players don't understand relativity - spacetime as its now known - they think there is no time or space when there is plenty and they think other players have plenty of it when they don't. That's a perception issue imo.

A form of confirmation bias if you like - that mentally they are under pressure and everyone else isn't. Which means the room around you seems smaller and the room other people have seems bigger. Hence handballing to someone in a s**t position.

Compare someone like Tarryn Thomas, who is an exceptional case admittedly. He can gather the ball in a pack, literally standing between two opposition players and be relaxed enough to take his time (even if its a very quick thing he always has the time) and act. Same with JY, Pauly and Jed at times. I don't think its just an indigenous thing either (tho its very common in indigenous players) - Bailey Scott has it. Possibly LDU, but he doesn't have the physical core strength to make it work for him.

People say "its instinct" and to a point that is true. But what is instinct?

Surely a part of it is unconscious situational awareness, being aware of whats happening around you and orienting yourself in relation to that quickly and effectively. Not having to send all of that info thru the front of your brain to be able to use it. Having it there almost by "magic" (its not magic - its just being able to access the info your brain collects from the world then cuts out to enable the front of your brain to be conscious as you are used to.)

And that is a big issue with us.

Situational awarenmess (that was a typo but i'm leaving it cos situational awaremess is a better description for the players I've mentioned,) is where we fall down time and time again.

Remember Brad Scotts' famous line - "* we have some dumb players" mouthed in the coaches box last year or the year before?

Pretty sure that is what he talking about, but as coach its on him to fix it.

Kingy picked up on it during the game the amount of space Turner was giving Ablett. This was during the third quarter. Sadly the match winner unfolded in the same manner.

We have a great coach.

And yet that kid with the dreads and awesome name did barrel into one of our players legs and take him out of the contest and nothing.

- This is why umpires seem so ******.

When it comes to them using their discretion it seems to always disadvantage us, never the other way. The umpires miss nearly a quarter of all frees. Sure some should be let go but it only seems they miss the obvious or important ones when we are playing. If they were consistent I wouldn't care as much.

And tbf they were consistent on the weekend in that plenty of soft frees both ways were not payed. That was good. But when that happens all it takes is a few soft ones to be payed to really influence the game. That also happened. -

That free to Kelly was one example. If the free against him was there why wasn't the only other example of something similar payed earlier?

come one mate, 95% of football supporters complain about the umps. Everyone thinks their team is hard done by.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, and certainly did not barrel into Kelly's legs dangerously as the rule was designed. Utter crap!

To his credit, Paddy Dangerfield has just tweeted to say it's a ridiculous rule, that Kelly played for the free kick and that it should never have been awarded. Oh wait, no, I don't think he did any of that.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why wasn’t it 50 for stopping a player from impacting the next contest? Did that rule get canned?

Funnily enough, that rule came in after the 2008 grand final when Hawthorn did it repeatedly to Gary Ablett. I believe they relaxed the rule at some point in the interim. Now you have to knock the player to the ground before the umpire even gives it a second thought. And I don't think it's a 50 metre penalty anymore, just a free kick that penalises the side with the ball.

Funnily enough, that rule came in after the 2008 grand final when Hawthorn did it repeatedly to Gary Ablett. I believe they relaxed the rule at some point in the interim. Now you have to knock the player to the ground before the umpire even gives it a second thought. And I don't think it's a 50 metre penalty anymore, just a free kick that penalises the side with the ball.
Confusion reigns supreme

Back