Autopsy vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the young players are quality kicks. The sequence of forward 50 entries in the 3rd quarter to Brown by Dumont, Thomas and Anderson were all high-quality executions. Even the next one by Larky to Zurhaar was pretty good as it erred in being slightly too short allowing Zurhaar to run on to it. That pivot and goal were straight out of the DeGoey highlight reel.

Agree that poor decision making and then skill errors at critical times are costing us. It was really the only difference between us and the Cats on Sunday.

It was pleasing that I thought they were much smarter this week in trying to craft quality forward 50 entries and there was less bombing it long. Brown is not a body on body contested marking forward and we don't have a genuine crumber. Pretty much all our forwards and some of our mids are very capable when leading at the ball or even running forward into the contest. The new guys all seem pretty good at lowering their eyes to spot an option or being patient waiting for one to open up. It is the older guys like McDonald, Thompson, Turner and a few others that keep kicking it as long and high into the forward 50 as they can.

I have noticed Brown playing the body on body contested role as a decoy or to take opposition defenders out of the contest. Which is actually a good thing for him to be doing cos it does free up other options. IMO anyway. Against Carlton at one point he helped four blokes fall over next to the goal square and we scored. It was brilliantly done. So long as he keeps that stand your ground contested stuff to playing decoy roles or working for his team mates then its good for us. Gives players like Larkey and Wood opportunities and brings them into the game and splits the oppositions defense. And it works for Brown too cos the opposition have to focus on his mates up forward which gives him more freedom from defenders, more space to lead into and less interference as he leads.

It is the older guys like McDonald, Thompson, Turner and a few others that keep kicking it as long and high into the forward 50 as they can.

KT is 23 and LMac is 24.

Thommo is 33!!!

He's 10 years older than one of them and 9 years older than the other.

I know they are older than TT, Larkey etc but they are still pretty young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back