Autopsy vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunners went down a rung for me today which is a little sad. Hoping he can bounce back.

The HF mass was bad selection.

Dumont struggles in the heat.

LDU a long way off.

TT is beautiful to watch.

Jack a B grade mid but cracks in.

Ahern must be wondering what he has to do looking at the inept midfield.

Shaw did nothing in the box.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the contrary, Shaw tried quite a few things - all to no avail, unfortunately. I knew the minute we lost, this would rear its head straight away.

The kicking inside 50 was as bad as when we played Sydney. If they are playing for territory they need to make sure to lock it in.

Yeah the kicking inside 50 didn't look good on TV and we've struggled for 2 weeks now as a side kicking it to an outnumber. Just think we're better off doing what it takes to manufacture even numbers forward with our talented forward line rather than having extra numbers at the contest.

Even if we continue to mongrel it in, I'd back our forwards one-one-one.

On the contrary, Shaw tried quite a few things - all to no avail, unfortunately. I knew the minute we lost, this would rear its head straight away.

100% spot on.

He even threw Tarryn in the guts to start the last.

I don’t think you can accuse Shaw of not making any moves.

I’m an LDU fan on the whole. But he needs to work on his body work in the contest if he wants to be the midfielder we think he can be.

Too many times he tries to do a fancy spin and leaves the ball behind. He needs to use his body to protect space, soak up the contact, then try and spin out of the contest.

I actually thought he started to try this more as the game went on. Seemed to stand up in contests more and seemed stronger.

I actually thought he started to try this more as the game went on. Seemed to stand up in contests more and seemed stronger.
It’s not all the time.

But at this level you can’t try to grab and spin. Players need to at least halve the contest. If you grab and spin and don’t take it cleanly the contest is lost.

Our midfield was taught a complete football lesson by GWS - their midfield is elite - ours more a bunch of tradies looking forward to a smoko break and a couple of pies.

If anyone thinks the only difference between the midfields was a new set of umpires then good luck with that line of thinking.

Thinking the umpiring was shitful is not the same as thinking the shitful umpiring is the only reason we lost.

I’m an LDU fan on the whole. But he needs to work on his body work in the contest if he wants to be the midfielder we think he can be.

Too many times he tries to do a fancy spin and leaves the ball behind. He needs to use his body to protect space, soak up the contact, then try and spin out of the contest.

.... and he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LMac was arguably our best today.

You can’t be considered best on when you constantly torch the ball the way he does.

Yes he tried hard and had a good crack, but as a coach once told me, there is no point in getting the ball if you constantly waste it.

It’s not all the time.

But at this level you can’t try to grab and spin. Players need to at least halve the contest. If you grab and spin and don’t take it cleanly the contest is lost.

He was better as the game went on. Its as if he realised exactly that at some point after quarter time maybe even in the third. I noticed him standing in the contest and trying to fend or just hold his ground/handball into his chest more as the game went on and was actually surprised how strong he did look.

You can’t be considered best on when you constantly torch the ball the way he does.

Yes he tried hard and had a good crack, but as a coach once told me, there is no point in getting the ball if you constantly waste it.
I'm not sure what Lukey Mac is looking at when he is Kicking Inside 50. :stern look

He was better as the game went on. Its as if he realised exactly that at some point after quarter time maybe even in the third. I noticed him standing in the contest and trying to fend or just hold his ground/handball into his chest more as the game went on and was actually surprised how strong he did look.
As I said I’m a fan. I just think he needs to get that element out of his game.

Fanfooty says he clotheslined Buntine in the 3rd. I thought I saw him do it in the 2nd (Davis had tackled him high after the ump called a ball-up, suspect Brown saw red which is unusual for him and executed a sloppy tackle on him). But may have been another incident because I didn't see a replay of the one in the 2nd and assumed it was just a free kick from that.

On a scale of Gary Ablett Jnr elbows, that one is worth a $1000 fine tops. So yeah, we'll be without BBB for 2-3 weeks.

Also expect the Ben Cunnington incident with Matt de Boer to come under scrutiny. Sure, Ben had the ball and sure de Boer was doing his best to rip Ben's head off, and finally, sure, all Ben did was shrug the tackle resulting in de Boer landing awkwardly. But Ben will have to pull out the good bloke card again.

Had a red hot crack, but in the end class took over.
Yes and no. They are a accessing team that got it easy from the umpires. Those down the field frees were rubbish. You are allowed to pressure someone as they kick! It happens twenty times every game! They had a lot of other alliances around the stoppages. A spilt milk game
They were classier with the ball. Still plastic with a scomo sheen.

It’s not all the time.

I have faith that he's going to be very good. However, at this stage every week there are instances where he's not willing to put his body on the line. This is actually a big deal. Yes he's young, but sometimes this something that can not be taught.

Complete midfield domination is a worry going forward - losing the clearances is one thing numerically, and another qualitatively, and it seemed to me at the ground that when they won the clearances they usually made something of it, far more than we did. I thought the backline were sensational in the first half (Thompson had a blinder of a first quarter), but after half time it seemed the Giants were able to catch us out of position on the turnover through quick ball movement too easily... umpiring isn't the reason we lost, but some absolute howlers today (I actually thought Brown's goal was touched from where I sat live, but once it's called a goal, how can that video evidence be considered conclusive enough to overrule?!). Increasingly worried about Mason Wood, does some nice things occasionally but goes missing too often and sometimes doesn't seem to commit when needed...

No questioning our effort, but the back half of this game was particularly lacklustre. Hopefully it's just our by-now-standard pre-bye lapse, and we can take the positives from the last month or so into next fortnight's match against Collingwood and beyond - but a midfield performance like today's will see us crushed... it's the same problem we've had for quite some time now, that when we don't win the clearance in tight, the opposition can run rings around us on the outside, and Collingwood are experts at that side of the game. Keeping competitive in the first half was great to see, as is our general endeavour in recent times, but a backline in strong form can only get you so far...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back