Autopsy vs GWS

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Defence is looking a million dollars without Macmillans in it. Coincidence? Spare me.

Thomas is something else, what a pick. I get sick of footy media over-hyping indigenous kids, but this kid is no hype. Real deal.

When Larkey leads at the right times he provides a perfect option down the line, completely changes the transition from defense to attack.

Dumont, damn... I honestly believed he might become a genuinely good mid. Might end up in the SANFL before the age of 26. What a waste.

We have always known that Cunners can go missing, this isn't news to anybody, is it? Only thing stopping him from being genuinely 'elite'.

Pretty sure he went missing in his 150th as well. You take the bad with the good.

Has Goldy been hitting the gym in order to land a bigger contract? Looking in better shape than he has for a long time.

Not often I blame the umps. But I'm blaming the umps. Some shocking calls in there. Kept GWS in the game.

Anderson's tackling and pressure around the ball sometimes seems more valuable than his possessions. Is this a good thing?

McDonald was okay overall, Atley continues an impressive season, Turner looked like a legit AFL small forward today.

The crowd appeared pretty ordinary on the TV.

Still lolling at Arthur Cloke's Youth in Asia call. Champagne. I love this forum.

That is all.

kelman

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2002
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

We have always known that Cunners can go missing, this isn't news to anybody, is it? Only thing stopping him from being genuinely 'elite'.

Cunners used to go missing too much in games a couple of years ago which was a frustration and meant he was not in the top bracket.

That is not true of last year and definitely not this year.

If getting tagged out of it yesterday means he is not elite, then Cripps (and many others) are also not elite.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
We lost but the effort was there. Nothing like the * or a Sydney losses.

Badly exposed with Higgins out... we need to hit the jackpot in the draft and hope we get an A+ grade mid if we are ever to have a chance to match it against other teams who have had multiple top 5 picks.

Foxtel on Sundays is just awful... from their commentators to after match shows.
I reckon we have already found that A+ mid. TT.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not enough outrage regarding the farcical over turned goal. Hopefully giantroo can draw some more attention to it via social media.

The Club needs to ask for some clarification as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
A genuine turning point in the game.

It is not even vaguely possible that a review could conclude that the ball was touched. The second angle showed the ball passed between the hands of Davis with daylight on either side.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
I always thought of Jacobs as one of the least scraggy taggers in the league or ever.
Yes I too thought that that was a bit of a weird comment. Some people may have forgotten that Jacobs was a first round pick and quite good at winning his own ball, and kicking a goal. He is smart enough where to position himself. We are missing him badly.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes I too thought that that was a bit of a weird comment. Some people may have forgotten that Jacobs was a first round pick and quite good at winning his own ball, and kicking a goal. He is smart enough where to position himself. We are missing him badly.

He is the most important player imo

Irreplaceable. Hoping Hayden can get close but doubtful

Thndr

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2015
Mick Martin school of bad looks.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So thoughts from going to the game.

Crowd, not bad for a GWS game plus the start time, i mean really, one game on for the day and they start it at 3.20 on basically the shortest day of the year. People with small kids were leaving just after half time.

From the get go our pressure and body were fantastic, it really took me back to the old North of years ago, Brilliant.
Ump's were rubbish. Goldy was getting pushed, shoved and slapped in the face but apparently the maggot's are scared of mummy. That goal review did not look touched, even on the big screen, crowd was shocked when it was overturned, not sure how it looked on the telly.

As i said to the young bloke, mummy was just tapping it to the outside where there was a runner waiting, and if that continued the second half would open up. We lacked outside run and were trying to keep it inside and contested, but with Goldy getting smashed it just wasn't happening.

Josh Kelly is a god ........ Bastard.

All in all happy with the effort, you can see a change in the team from when Brad was coach. Work on the skills, find some outside run to cover Higgo, keep up the intensity and we should win more than we lose for the rest of the season.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
He is the most important player imo

If Jacobs is fit he is pretty much straight into the team. I watch a bit of the seconds and Hayden would be next in line, but he isn't going to replace Jacobs.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Crowd, not bad for a GWS game plus the start time, i mean really, one game on for the day and they start it at 3.20 on basically the shortest day of the year. People with small kids were leaving just after half time.

From the get go our pressure and body were fantastic, it really took me back to the old North of years ago, Brilliant.
Ump's were rubbish. Goldy was getting pushed, shoved and slapped in the face but apparently the maggot's are scared of mummy. That goal review did not look touched, even on the big screen, crowd was shocked when it was overturned, not sure how it looked on the telly.

As i said to the young bloke, mummy was just tapping it to the outside where there was a runner waiting, and if that continued the second half would open up. We lacked outside run and were trying to keep it inside and contested, but with Goldy getting smashed it just wasn't happening.

All in all happy with the effort, you can see a change in the team from when Brad was coach. Work on the skills, find some outside run to cover Higgo, keep up the intensity and we should win more than we lose for the rest of the season.
I’ve got no doubt if we kept up the same intensity in the 3rd as the first half, we would’ve come out winners.
To the giants credit they out worked us with their run and got a couple of quick goals.

We’ve got a lot of upside and are closer then people think.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none

I don't think Goldy was smashed, in fact I think he was better, I think the umpires are frightened of Mumford. They are frightened that he might belt them.

I wasn't too upset with yesterday performance, we were the better team in the first half and should have had a two/three goal lead at the break if it wasn't for some dubious decision from the umpires. We stuck with them for the first 10 minutes of the third, but then GWS's class started to win out.

The decision to play Garner instead of another midfielder was an interesting one, Garner played okay, but against a classy midfield like GWS and with Cunnington having a quiet game an extra midfielder like Ahern would have been nice. I would hope we bring in an extra midfielder when we play Collingwood after the bye.

Our forward structure of Brown, Larkey, Wood, Zurhaar, Thomas and Turner has been looking good in recent weeks, it was nullified to some extent yesterday, but I think that was due to GWS midfield pressure and the poor delivery into our forward 50.

Our defensive structure is also looking good, but I wish we had another small who could provide support for Marley. Pittard has been pretty solid this season, but I don't think he has the speed to match it with some of the pacey small in other teams.

I wasn't too upset with yesterday performance, we were the better team in the first half and should have had a two/three goal lead at the break if it wasn't for some dubious decision from the umpires. We stuck with them for the first 10 minutes of the third, but then GWS's class started to win out.

The decision to play Garner instead of another midfielder was an interesting one, Garner played okay, but against a classy midfield like GWS and with Cunnington having a quiet game an extra midfielder like Ahern would have been nice. I would hope we bring in an extra midfielder when we play Collingwood after the bye.

Our forward structure of Brown, Larkey, Wood, Zurhaar, Thomas and Turner has been looking good in recent weeks, it was nullified to some extent yesterday, but I think that was due to GWS midfield pressure and the poor delivery into our forward 50.

Our defensive structure is also looking good, but I wish we had another small who could provide support for Marley. Pittard has been pretty solid this season, but I don't think he has the speed to match it with some of the pacey small in other teams.
Agree to a degree - we hardly had a winner yesterday and were beaten by 23 points. Not a disaster but probably looked worse watching the game. GWS are a big chance to play off the cup.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Problem is we’re getting smashed in the 2nds in the midfield as well..

It's not like everyone has a hand picked stellar midfield like the Giants.

Pointing out that we can't match them there for skill is like pointing out that the sky is blue.

NO side in the AFL can match their midfield depth..............but they CAN be beaten.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pointing out that we can't match them there for skill is like pointing out that the sky is blue.

NO side in the AFL can match their midfield depth..............but they CAN be beaten.
Absolutely they can be beaten. If all our players were on the park, we’d have a good showing.
But that’s really our problem, we’ve got no depth, I can see why we got guys like Tyson and Hall. Although that’s just papering over the crack’s.
We really need an over haul of the footy department. List is outta whack, selection committee has been bizarre, to say the least over the years.
We also seem to struggle to develop midfielders.
We’d need this for sustained success, rather then the just bulldogs fluke flag.

This. Also, if Cunnington can’t be considered elite on the back of being tagged out of things yesterday, then, I assume, Trent Cotchin was never elite either? I know plenty of North people might say that was always the case. However, all in Sunbury would disagree?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A genuine turning point in the game.

It is not even vaguely possible that a review could conclude that the ball was touched. The second angle showed the ball passed between the hands of Davis with daylight on either side.
I can't remember exactly, but did Davis even indicate that he touched it at all ?

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
It's not like the reviewer had to make a definitive decision either way on the touch.
He had the option of saying it was inconclusive, which on the vision on the broadcast clearly showed, and somehow managed to completely botch that (unless there is vision we didn't see and that appears extremely unlikely).
Anyone who saw that vision and concluded it clearly was touched is patently incompetent and should be removed from that position.
That decision defies all belief.

The Butcher

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cracked in again which is encouraging. I thought all our carry over weaknesses from the Scott era were exposed. It was a mix of gws's deliberate game day tactics and general strengths that exposed them more effectively than our recent opponents. Its clearly too soon for those limitations to have been erased. We get a greater share of luck of the day and we steal a win.

A reminder that effort isn't always gonna be enough and its gonna be an intense and important preseason for the club.

Back