Autopsy vs GWS

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dumont marked on about 50, right on the limit of his range. Few minutes remaining, need to kill some clock. Higgins comes over for a chat while he's waiting for the 30 to run down a bit, then he pulls the kick into the hole for a leading JZ. Stops the rot of a GWS comeback.
When Froggy marked we were 14 points up with 4 minutes left on the clock after the Himmelberg goal. His decision and execution took 45 seconds off the clock and put us up by 20. That was the game right there.

That win reminded me strongly of our win against Sydney at the SCG in round 5, 2014.

Dour struggle in the first half before breaking the game open in the second. Strong team performance across the ground with the kids something something against the previous season’s runner up who had had the wood on us.

I thought that was the win that gave us the belief needed to kick start our finals run over the following couple of seasons. Turned out to be a bit of a false dawn in retrospect but was still a massive win, like this one.

Forgive the intrusion but I am lapping up the appreciation for Josh Walker who got a very raw deal at the Lions. Please note that Adams, the ex Bulldogs player at the Lions is out injured (as usual). Birchall looks slower than the Gasometer.

These other two were the direct competition with Josh for the third defensive spot. Would anyone at North like a swap?

He's a nice bloke as well and I hope this year he wins the Norm Smith but the Lions win the flag.

Next year you blokes can win the flag, but Mich Robinson takes home the Norm Smith
He's a Roo now and you'll never get him back.

2 games and the bloke looks like furniture. Stepped into what would have been a gap with Scott Thompson retirement (maybe in disgust of poor unpiring?) and has not missed a beat.

Our 2:0 start is even better value when you look at who we've played. St Kilda seems to be in good shape, given their preseason form, the way they looked in the first half against us, and the way they smashed the Bulldogs last night. GWS is obviously one of the flag favorites, who looked great against Geelong in round 1.

It's not a fluky start based on an easy draw, which may be the case with Port to some extent.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Our 2:0 start is even better value when you look at who we've played. St Kilda seems to be in good shape, given their preseason form, the way they looked in the first half against us, and the way they smashed the Bulldogs last night. GWS is obviously one of the flag favorites, who looked great against Geelong in round 1.

It's not a fluky start based on an easy draw, which may be the case with Port to some extent.
SOME extent?
They beat 18th from last year, and probably the eventual 18th for this year.

Both of our wins have been against teams currently in the 8.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Coaches votes

GWS Giants vs North Melbourne
10 Todd Goldstein (NMFC)
7 Shaun Higgins (NMFC)
6 Robbie Tarrant (NMFC)
5 Jared Polec (NMFC)
1 Cameron Zurhaar (NMFC)
1 Jy Simpkin (NMFC)

What's staggering is that there are a small number of people who didn't have Todd as best on. Oh well, I suppose we can't all football.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Coaches votes are strange.

Thought Polec and Simpkin were better than Higgins personally, who got a heap of 1-2's disposals.

1592200438041.png

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What's staggering is that there are a small number of people who didn't have Todd as best on. Oh well, I suppose we can't all football.
I would’ve had it a toss up between Todd and Tarrant.
For a defender to keep the colemen model winner sightless and have the most meters gained is quiet remarkable.

I guess hes so reliable now that’s what’s just expected.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually Haynes makes total sense as the Wood match up.
I could be totally wrong TFW.....but that's who I thought was picking Mase up most of the time. Trust me, I get frustrated with him too, but I want the bloke to become the footballer he looks like he could be. He also destroyed Sydney last year(?) up there wasn't it?

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I could be totally wrong TFW.....but that's who I thought was picking Mase up most of the time. Trust me, I get frustrated with him too, but I want the bloke to become the footballer he looks like he could be. He also destroyed Sydney last year(?) up there wasn't it?
He kicked that scintillating winner.. etched in the memory banks

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I heard on the radio, our game actually had the most minutes of actual game time, Goldy with 100% TOG loves the shortened 1/4's
I don't reckon it would bother Goldy with longer quarters. He's a machine. He seems to thrive on running his opponents into the ground.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forgive the intrusion but I am lapping up the appreciation for Josh Walker who got a very raw deal at the Lions. Please note that Adams, the ex Bulldogs player at the Lions is out injured (as usual). Birchall looks slower than the Gasometer.

These other two were the direct competition with Josh for the third defensive spot. Would anyone at North like a swap?

He's a nice bloke as well and I hope this year he wins the Norm Smith but the Lions win the flag.

Next year you blokes can win the flag, but Mich Robinson takes home the Norm Smith

It’s amazing to think we wasted 2 first round picks and a good second, trying to draft a KPD, plus dec Watson that we drafted from your academy, when we could pick a solid one up for nothing!!!

He’s been great value and probably ended a couple of youngsters careers at North.

SOME extent?
They beat 18th from last year, and probably the eventual 18th for this year.

Both of our wins have been against teams currently in the 8.
That 18th side smashed West Coast since, which makes it hard to say where they are this season. And the Crows, as much as they are in for a tough year, aren't that bad.

flojo

All Australian
Jul 28, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
there is so much plus also, in that our usual heros had a quite day.. cunnington, brown etc so we still have upside.
The thing with north is we don't have the flashiness and finesse. so people dont rate us.
But we will grind you into playing the way we do. and although it always feels like we just got that team on a bad day. we have made you play our way. and its tough and hard.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
It’s amazing to think we wasted 2 first round picks and a good second, trying to draft a KPD, plus dec Watson that we drafted from your academy, when we could pick a solid one up for nothing!!!

He’s been great value and probably ended a couple of youngsters careers at North.
Easy Tiger, played one game!

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Watching the replay it seemed Bailey Scott had a job on Kelly. He did his job, Kelly had minimal impact on the game
I don't get the calls to drop Bailey for this week. I thought he did his job and contributed to the win. Deserves another game.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This board will always pick up on negatives.

Bailey contributed, kicked a goal that half the side playing yesterday would have spray under that pressure. He will only develop with experience, and really want to get 10+ games into him this year. Give him another game or two before giving him a spell and giving another youngster a taste.

Back