Autopsy vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's more likely that he just wants him to be better.
Yes. And I think some Pagan is coming out of Carey. He probably doesn’t even know it.
Duck still loves us which means he’s harder on his own kids than the next door neighbors kids.
Also, he knows that Brown can be even bigger and better

'Tell yas' what I liked best about Friday night's win.

Clarkson sides whether up or down closely resemble Sheedy sides. Very happy to engage in a bit sniping and gamesmanship whilst their coaches' reputation stays in-tact.

We've had games with them in the last few years where it felt like we tried to match niggle back against them in patches but it looked like this was individual players choosing to do so, often against team wishes - based on grabs from Swallow and Scott.

This time around there was a different aura between the coaches boxes. Clarkson's tanties suggested his usual "Cheats to Unsettle North Melbourne" playbook just wasn't working.

This time around north players were up for the fight and playing to a different script. This time it was the north boys who made up a deficit and ran over the top of an oppontent, all the while absorbing the silly hanging on / pushing after the mark etc s**t that hawthorn seem to get off on and get away with.

Better than what? He's been within a bee's dick of three consecutive Colemans, and every time he goes near the ball Carey starts going on about his lack of physical presence, or that he is too one-dimensional.

He doesn't know Ben's game at all. Prime example when he was lining up from the pocket, missed and Carey commented that he was too set in his kicking process to have any creativity. Anyone who has watched Ben for five minutes would know he is an excellent exponent of both the checkside and around the body kicks as he slots them regularly.

Or his continued insistence that Brown never kicks crumbs and goals at ground level.
i dont particularly agree he doesnt do much at ground level in fact iam actually impressed that a bloke with his size can actually be so nimble at the ground level but even the layman can see that he could do more to hold his position at the ball drop with his size.

Clarkson sides whether up or down closely resemble Sheedy sides. Very happy to engage in some a bit sniping and gamesmanship whilst their coaches' reputation stays in-tact.

We've had games with them in the last few years where it felt like we tried to match niggle back against them in patches but it looked like this was individual players choosing to do so, often against team wishes - based on grabs from Swallow and Scott.

This time around there was a different aura between the coaches boxes. Clarkson's tanties suggested his usual "Cheats to Unsettle North Melbourne" playbook just wasn't working.

This time around north players were up for the fight and playing to a different script. This time it was the north boys who made up a deficit and ran over the top of an oppontent, all the while absorbing the silly hanging on / pushing after the mark etc s**t that hawthorn seem to get off on and get away with.
One thing I really noticed watching the replay and thought said a lot about our planning and discipline - when we had a player on the mark and a Hawk came in to stop them being able to move when the kicker played on, a second North player would have run up near the mark to cover the change of angle. Really smart.

One thing I really noticed watching the replay and thought said a lot about our planning and discipline - when we had a player on the mark and a Hawk came in to stop them being able to move when the kicker played on, a second North player would have run up near the mark to cover the change of angle. Really smart.

That's a nice pickup. Will have to check that out on the tape.

For all you conspiracy theorists out there:

I reckon the board regretted the resigning of Brad pretty soon after the event. Nothing was changing, and we were not improving.

Enter the idea of getting Shaw into the club last year. He had been touted as a senior coach for a while, get him in, and if things do not improve by mid 2019; a ready made replacement is already at the club.

Brad was no doubt aware of the feelings around the club; saw the writing on the wall and decided that stepping away gracefully was a win/win for all concerned.

Clarkson sides whether up or down closely resemble Sheedy sides. Very happy to engage in a bit sniping and gamesmanship whilst their coaches' reputation stays in-tact.

Out team has a few hard nuts in it these days.
Tarrant
Thompson
Turner
Zurhaar
Anderson
Cunnnington
JZ
Marley
Garner
Lmac
Maj
Simpkin

Non of them take any s**t. thats a decent linup. We could almost be the AFL version of the Broad street bullies. Maybe Arden street antagonizers, although doesn't sounds as good, Arden street Assholes, lets roll with it.

Out team has a few hard nuts in it these days.
Tarrant
Thompson
Turner
Zurhaar
Anderson
Cunnnington
JZ
Marley
Garner
Lmac
Maj
Simpkin

Non of them take any s**t. thats a decent linup. We could almost be the AFL version of the Broad street bullies. Maybe Arden street antagonizers, although doesn't sounds as good, Arden street Assholes, lets roll with it.
what about 'Shinboners'?

Just had a bit of a look on the Dawks board, most of them accept the defeat.
But there are some there who are whingeing, calling BBB side show and there getting ssick of his run up, North are sh!t.
Should of been a hold against Mason Wood, Wood went down like he got shot.
I love it.

There's a bit of '93 about this current mob under Shaw. Not in obscene talent but moreso on attitude.

There was a praccy st Arden St that year v Collingwood. Collingwood used to routinely intimidate us. Even though it was a praccy, Collingwood went about their usual method but this time our blokes bit back. We went into win.

Seemingly insignificant at the time, Tony Shaw made mention of it later and how much they were taken aback. This team with a known soft underbelly, was going to fight fire with fire.

I expect that we are seeing something similar happening under Rhyce.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Could you imagine the reaction from Pruess' manager when the 4 year offer came in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
One good tackle on Tom McDonald during the AFL X game could earn someone a 4 year deal? Surely not ;)

For all you conspiracy theorists out there:

I reckon the board regretted the resigning of Brad pretty soon after the event. Nothing was changing, and we were not improving.

Enter the idea of getting Shaw into the club last year. He had been touted as a senior coach for a while, get him in, and if things do not improve by mid 2019; a ready made replacement is already at the club.

Brad was no doubt aware of the feelings around the club; saw the writing on the wall and decided that stepping away gracefully was a win/win for all concerned.
Teeny detail that when Shaw was interviewed last week on SEN after being appointed he mentioned that his previous relationship with Brad was a factor in lining things up with North (mainly he wanted to come to Victoria for family reasons).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teeny detail that when Shaw was interviewed last week on SEN after being appointed he mentioned that his previous relationship with Brad was a factor in lining things up with North (mainly he wanted to come to Victoria for family reasons).
That doesn't preclude what I said though.

And this is my conspiracy, it doesn't have to line up with objective facts in any way, shape or form.

I hate that tactic that started with Collingwood under Malthouse but Hawthorn has really perfected - the man on the mark getting taken out on his blind side by a sniper. I want to see the second man in for North forget about the ball carrier, and along with the man on the mark, hit the sniper from either side in a Malachi crunch. (Google that one, kids). Maybe Kanye and the Bull would be good for this.

Even in my wildest thoughts Shaw was never brought in as part of a succession plan.

Drummond was leaving, Shaw wanted to return to Victoria and had a previous relationship with Brad. That was all.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Dumont 24 wing
Polec 24 wing
Higgins 21
Simpkin 20 (1w)
Cunnington 18
Thomas 9
LDU 4
Ziebell 4
Turner 1 wing

Rucks:
Goldstein 24
Larkey 1

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)

Simpkin 3
Cunnington 1
Ziebell 1
LDU 1
Higgins 1
Thomas 1
Tarrant 1
Garner 1

1st Half - 13

Dumont 13 wing
Simpkin 13 (1w)
Polec 12 wing
Higgins 11
Cunnington 8
LDU 4
Thomas 2
Ziebell 2

Goldstein 12
Larkey 1

Final Term - 5

Dumont 5 wing
Polec 5 wing
Higgins 4
Cunnington 4
Simpkin 3
Thomas 3
Ziebell 1

Goldstein 5

Notes - pertain to the 11 analysed games this season and games from years prior:
- Most starts for Thomas
- Fewest starts for Ahern (overall) & LDU (this season)
- Fewest starts for Ziebell since Rd 5
- All of LDU's starts came in Q1

NORTH MELBOURNE v HAWTHORN
10 Shaun Higgins (NMFC)
7 James Worpel (HAW)
6 Ben Brown (NMFC)
5 Todd Goldstein (NMFC)
1 Jack Ziebell (NMFC)
1 Chad Wingard (HAW)

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Dumont 24 wing
Polec 24 wing
Higgins 21
Simpkin 20 (1w)
Cunnington 18
Thomas 9
LDU 4
Ziebell 4
Turner 1 wing

Rucks:
Goldstein 24
Larkey 1

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Simpkin 3
Cunnington 1
Ziebell 1
LDU 1
Higgins 1
Thomas 1
Tarrant 1
Garner 1

1st Half - 13

Dumont 13 wing
Simpkin 13 (1w)
Polec 12 wing
Higgins 11
Cunnington 8
LDU 4
Thomas 2
Ziebell 2

Goldstein 12
Larkey 1

Final Term - 5

Dumont 5 wing
Polec 5 wing
Higgins 4
Cunnington 4
Simpkin 3
Thomas 3
Ziebell 1

Goldstein 5

Notes - pertain to the 11 analysed games this season and games from years prior:
- Most starts for Thomas
- Fewest starts for Ahern (overall) & LDU (this season)
- Fewest starts for Ziebell since Rd 5
- All of LDU's starts came in Q1
Hrmm
Wonder if LDU retains his spot now or Jed comes in.
Don’t like how we got slaughtered in the middle in the 1st and the correlation of him being inside the square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back