Autopsy vs * - Rd 6, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

l'm still trying to work out why Shaw kept BB on the ground for the whole game . Surely giving him a break and mixing up the forward line would have been better than staying with the same thing for the whole game. While getting back Larkey , and Daw will hopefully help it wont be the quick fix as they will need some serious match time to come up to speed. The same goes for LDU and Zeibell. It seems that a lot of supporters seem to think that these players will be an "immediate" fix but l cant see it. Most likely the results of getting players back will be at least another 3 weeks away. So we have to ride out this storm and look to a brighter future.....We have the chance of at least 3 more wins , Carlton, Melbourne, and Adelaide. Anything else will be a bonus.

I’m also not underestimating the impact of COVID-19.
We are a club who run a tight ship but I honestly think the impact of the virus will see us hurt more than other clubs and the reason being our funding in the football department.
We are probably as close to a community or amateur level professional organization as any other and I reckon that’s handicapping our players. Not only in development but in injury and rehabilitation.
I firmly believe what was initially based on luck and misfortune is a trend now and our players just don’t present in a condition prime for AFL football nor can they sustain it for a lengthy period of time.

Under Scott I felt false hope that we could make a grand final but I have never felt further away from a flag or even playing off in a grand final than I do right now. I think the lists age profile is completely shot and is stacked poorly with over 30s and under 23s and nothing in between. This would be the worst makeup for a shot at a premiership with literally zero of our core in the peak of their powers.
Lot of pain ahead.

My old man went to lots of games through the '60s and early '70s when we were often sh*te. His mate that he went to games with was this lovely Irish fella. It would of been around 1968 and his young bloke, who was about 8, was thinking of jumping ship to either Carlton or * as his mates barracked for these teams and they were both doing well.

The conversation went as follows:

THE SON: (nervously) er, umm, Dad I've got something to tell you. I'm thinking of changing teams.

SILENCE

THE DAD: (in a quiet but serious tone) Well, that's fine son. But where are ye going to live?

SILENCE.

He told this story at his Dads funeral, there was a North scarf on the coffin. He stayed a North supporter and his kids are staunch North as well.

If we get a few players back in form and a few back from injury (Larkey, Daw, LDU) then some green shoots will definitely start to show.
A great story of a passionate North supporter fighting to keep his kid on course. What of those kids that have to make their own minds up on who to support? That is where we are in trouble.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please don’t finish 10th.
You just know we will have meaningless wins in the last 3 rounds of the season, and finish 10th, and end up with a pick outside the top 10 after they award priority picks, and compensation for father sons...

I think its time for a rebuild. I'm ok with losing games if it means dropping Ahern, Campbell, Hall etc.

Not having Cunnington and Larkey really exposes us, particularly when the next tier of injuries Jed, Ziebell, LDU also out. Add the perennially injured Jacobs, Garner and EVW and it is hard to win in selection, but worse when we are a man short 5 mins into the game (Cunnington last week, TT yesterday).

We've also had the extra stress of players dealing with living in a COVID hotspot.

But it's not all negative. Jy, Goldy and Tarrant are stars. Lmac has found a role. Walker does make mistakes, but has been a good replacement for Scott Thompson. We might have 2 very good draft picks next year if we play it right.

Let's not play injured players next week. Drop Campbell, Hall, Ahern. Keep playing Scott and other young players. If some experienced players wanted to opt out of the hub and go home, let them.

The season is over for us - we need to work the system with an eye to 2021 and beyond.

How many of those do you think will be top 20 AFL players. Maybe Simpkin. Too early on Thomas.
On the basis that if you have more than one top 20 player in the AFL you are doing very well I think we could definitely have three or four top 40 players in that group. Here is how I view them:

Simpkin - emerging superstar of the game. If he is not already top 20 he is kicking the door down. Could be a legitimate top 10 player by 2022.
Thomas - elite skills, great decision maker with ball in hand, abundant X-factor. Could be anything. How high he goes will depend on his ability to stay involved in games. TT getting 20 touches in a game will be hugely influential. Definitely potential top 20.
LDU - I think we have seen enough from LDU to know he has the attributes of an elite midfielder and that if he can go through a similar process to Jy where body, tank, and confidence all come together then by 2022 we could be talking about him in the same way we are now talking about Jy. Definite A grade potential if not top 20 AFL player.
Taylor - has great attributes and seems to be working really hard on his game given the improvement we have seen over the past twelve months. I would back him to become an elite high half-forward who pushes into the mid-field by 2022 when he has 40 odd games under his belt.
Zurhaar -
another with X-factor and a genuine hard edge. Probably never going to be a top 20 player in the AFL but one we love in our team. If all he did was reduce the amount of time he goes missing in games by 30% to 50% that would be a great outcome.
Scott - I can see him becoming a really solid contributor on the wing for us in a couple of years. Like most young players he is struggling to have big numbers and therefore impact at the moment, but looks composed and skillful when he does get the opportunity. Could be at least a B+ type of AFL player.
Larkey - hugely important for us structurally and can become extremely valuable in his position as a key forward. I think we are already missing him a lot this year.
Hayden - again he is a player I could see becoming a really solid part of our best 22. Not top 20 in the AFL potential but a really solid B to B+ AFL player.

Comben, Mahoney, And Flynn - way too early to tell on these guys but they all look to have some elite qualities.

Scattered thoughts are all I have now.

Get the use of a man mountain immovable object to stay in the square, force an opponent away from Brown and maybe even clunk a few.

Didn't expect a 200cm 120kg behemoth to fall over a lot, not mark anything and get oubodied by human pubes wearing red and black though.

For that matter we have 2x 200cm players roaming F50 yet watched same opposition human pubes marking uncontested in OUR forward line.

If Rhyce took a look at our list last year and thought we're near it, then he's flagging (pun int) badly.

If he thought we're way off then a club message of rebuilding might've helped manage expectations better. As would actually cycling through all the young talls and seeing if they're up to it. Hint: you don't have to be a ruckman to play as a tall.

Aaron Hall was at least trying to make some play.

10+ years of it and we haven't worked out teams like rack up easy ball on us.

Now look it's trendy to pump up Rhyce and run down Brad's list management. But let's not get stupid. Every single rising star on our list was drafted under Scott. Simpkin and Cunnington too. The list seemed alright 4 weeks ago but suddenly now exonerates any bad coaching from Rhyce? And I still like Rhyce but damn, show us something man.

I don't think Shaw is a car salesman. I think his messaging is genuine. But we're creeping into a disparity between words and actions right now.

We’ve officially blown the top off the predictability chart.

I can now accurately guess 100% what we’re going to do with the ball and exactly where we turn it over.
Imagine how good we'd be if we could set-up our defenders on where those turnovers occur. We might accidentally kick the ball to a team mate.

On the light hearted side..Did Josh Walkers rug almost get knocked off last night? Right after he took the knee to the back of the head in a marking contest. If you can be bothered giantroo id love to see the clip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He cant use it though.. he kicked it OOF multiple times. He’s overrated and not the difference. He gains metres but isnt efficient or effective. We lost that game, they didnt win it. They are fu**in sh*t and we were worse
Even so, just having some momentum when taking possession of the ball makes it much more difficult to be tackled. So many times our blokes handball to the current position of the player. Cunnington usually puts the ball out in front to allow the receiver to run onto the ball. Now I’m no footballer, but that is what the coaches taught us when I was playing as well.

Referring to another post you made - that tackle on Cam Zurhaar, where he was headlocked and slung while not having the ball - not paid a free and no comment from the commentators. State of the game is in shambles.

EDIT: Fixed an error as pointed out by others below.

Last edited:
View attachment 910720
Corza's 96 season as a ruckman is the best in our clubs history in my opinion.
No argument from me. He did things that season that were incredible, but i think Goldy for his entire career wins out as a pure ruckman. Corey never won the most hit outs in a season, or hit outs to advantage. But at his best he was the equal of Carey in importance.

Even so, just having some momentum when taking possession of the ball makes it much more difficult to be tackled. So many times our blokes handball to the current position of the player. Cunnington usually puts the ball out in front to allow the receiver to run onto the ball. Now I’m no footballer, but that is what the coaches taught us when I was playing as well.

Referring to another post you made - that tackle on Cam Zurhaar, where he was headlocked and slung while not having the ball - not paid a free and no comment from the commentators. State of the game is in shambles.

On my television, the commentators went ballistic over the Zurhaar decision. Overall though, the umpiring kept us in the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the basis that if you have more than one top 20 player in the AFL you are doing very well I think we could definitely have three or four top 40 players in that group. Here is how I view them:

Simpkin - emerging superstar of the game. If he is not already top 20 he is kicking the door down. Could be a legitimate top 10 player by 2022.
Thomas - elite skills, great decision maker with ball in hand, abundant X-factor. Could be anything. How high he goes will depend on his ability to stay involved in games. TT getting 20 touches in a game will be hugely influential. Definitely potential top 20.
LDU - I think we have seen enough from LDU to know he has the attributes of an elite midfielder and that if he can go through a similar process to Jy where body, tank, and confidence all come together then by 2022 we could be talking about him in the same way we are now talking about Jy. Definite A grade potential if not top 20 AFL player.
Taylor - has great attributes and seems to be working really hard on his game given the improvement we have seen over the past twelve months. I would back him to become an elite high half-forward who pushes into the mid-field by 2022 when he has 40 odd games under his belt.
Zurhaar -
another with X-factor and a genuine hard edge. Probably never going to be a top 20 player in the AFL but one we love in our team. If all he did was reduce the amount of time he goes missing in games by 30% to 50% that would be a great outcome.
Scott - I can see him becoming a really solid contributor on the wing for us in a couple of years. Like most young players he is struggling to have big numbers and therefore impact at the moment, but looks composed and skillful when he does get the opportunity. Could be at least a B+ type of AFL player.
Larkey - hugely important for us structurally and can become extremely valuable in his position as a key forward. I think we are already missing him a lot this year.
Hayden - again he is a player I could see becoming a really solid part of our best 22. Not top 20 in the AFL potential but a really solid B to B+ AFL player.

Comben, Mahoney, And Flynn - way too early to tell on these guys but they all look to have some elite qualities.

Great post. I really hope you’re right.

The issue is not with the concept of a rebuild, it’s the audacity of it coming from a bloke who brought in Tyson, Hall, Pittard, Polec on long term deals and signed Campbell to a 2 year deal.
Realistically tho if he hadn't have brought in Polec and Pittard we'd have lost pick 10 when the Crows nominated Tarryn. The only difference would have been that we didn't get Polec and Pittard, who like it or not, improved our list.

Tyson is a bit of a surprise but Hall was worth grabbing. Worth sfa at the time and plenty of upside. Even after yesterday his issues with skill and decision making are upstairs right now. We shouldn't be relying on him.

I see those recruits (Hall and Tyson) as opportunistic. Tyson only played when the inside mid cupboard was bare. Not topping up just taking an opportunity.

Same with Campbell. He assumed he'd be playing VFL and aiding our development in the VFL when he signed his extension didn't he? That is hardly topping up the senior team.

The only youth we haven't played yet are Crocker, Murphy and Bonar and only one hasn't had a game.

Our issue is our forward line. That is it.

No. A team with Hall, Campbell, Atley and Macmillan all playing is not rebuilding. But a team with Hall, Campbell, Atley and Macmillan isn't challenging for finals either. Injuries are hurting us but it's pretty hard to determine what we're trying to achieve at the moment.

Mrs Marstermind and I watched 'Ghost' the other night as the Coll/Haw another game that was garbage. We're kind of in the same situation as Patrick Swayze in that we're neither in heaven or hell, but staying on earth for a stronger purpose. But instead of saving Demi Moore, we're sitting on the couch, moccies on the coffee table, durrie in one hand and a can of VB in the other watching the Collingwood/Hawthorn game. We really aren't doing anything.
Its not just us... I don't think there has been a game worth watching this season. It's hard to get excited to watch games where one team averages a goal a quarter. I'd take reruns of Ghost, Groundhog Day, Flying High and Ferria Bueller (one of them is always on when I channel surf) over the rubbish I've seen this year.

Zurhaar -

The ability of both Scott & Taylor to nail crucial set shots should not be underestimated.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If there ever was an example of one eyed supporting this is it. The commentators were all over it! Even showed a few replays.

Realistically tho if he hadn't have brought in Polec and Pittard we'd have lost pick 10 when the Crows nominated Tarryn. The only difference would have been that we didn't get Polec and Pittard, who like it or not, improved our list.

Tyson is a bit of a surprise but Hall was worth grabbing. Worth sfa at the time and plenty of upside. Even after yesterday his issues with skill and decision making are upstairs right now. We shouldn't be relying on him.

I see those recruits (Hall and Tyson) as opportunistic. Tyson only played when the inside mid cupboard was bare. Not topping up just taking an opportunity.

Same with Campbell. He assumed he'd be playing VFL and aiding our development in the VFL when he signed his extension didn't he? That is hardly topping up the senior team.

The only youth we haven't played yet are Crocker, Murphy and Bonar and only one hasn't had a game.

Our issue is our forward line. That is it.
Are you sure we don't have an issue with transition and delivery into the forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back