Autopsy vs Snort Powder

Remove this Banner Ad

Hall in front of 3 players gets a stoppage. He is hot and cold. It was a poor effort about 90 seconds earlier but that was ... well good but really expected as well. Hrovat at 11.35 left on the clock is very good. Thought I better acknowledge that.

They get the next goal by locking the ball in their half and driving a few repeat i50s. Might have been Hall's man. On his own 30m out directly in front. Unacceptable really.

It’s why he’s such a great tackler. He accelerates so much 2-3 steps before a laying a tackle. Gets the shoulder low too.

Yeah i agree. He should be our tackle coach. He's technically excellent.

Even if other players couldn't accelerate the way he does they'd still stick those tackles and keep them stuck. They might not hurt as much but they'd still be good. I can understand why Twinkletoes says Hodge loved him.

Bounce - Goldy to Cunners. Everyone runs away from him so he turns and boots it long to the CHF position. Puts it 3 feet above Turners head and Houstan takes a spekkie. Again if that was lower and a few metres shorter, to Turners advantage, then he's a good chance to mark it under pressure, on the 50. Cunners has been enormous this quarter and we've dominated the middle but he's had two poor kicks that could have been to our advantage.

Boundary throw in @ 9.35. Goldy wins the tap to Cunners. Hb to TT and then another cm perfect kick to Wood's advantage. Off the outside of the boot while running to the boundary and really should have been a mark to Wood. Turner would have marked that. If you're reading this and can watch a replay do so. If you don't respond by shaking your head in disbelief and saying "Get ****ed!!" then you haven't seen it properly.

Cunners again at a stoppage another kick to CHF and again Turner outmarked by Houston.

8.38ish left on the clock. Butters gathers the ball charges Macmillan and makes him a turnstile.

Worth comparing the way Jed tackles with Jmac's effort here I reckon Val Keating and anyone else... they get the ball forward Rozee good mark in front of goal. Converts. Two in a row.

Twice Cunners has kicked to CHF/turner and not put it to his advantage and it cost us shots on goal and a goal. To be fair they would have been good to a KPF but KT is only 6 foot just and pretty light.

edit - Also after Cunners kick there were 2 crucial contests we lost and both were soft. The Macmillan one I mentioned where he failed to tackle and the contest immediately before that got the ball to Butters. (Drew beats Polec.)

Last edited:

But there are alot of handballs.

I'd almost be inclined to make the following team rule:

Imagine a line across the ground. No ... imagine a clock on the ground and 12 o'clock is going toward our goal. Unless its a mark/free kick if you aren't handballing somewhere between 9.30 - 10 o'clock and 2 - 2.30 on the imaginary clock I mentioned then don't bloody handball!!! Hold on to the ball till you can kick it or charge toward our goal and give the HTB as far away from their goal as possible.

Cos when we handball forward we can cut the opposition to pieces and have been able to for years. When we handball backward we are useless. Its more a mental thing imo.

Its also obvious in these first five minutes the value of Brown as a decoy. He draws defenders. We seemed to move the ball thru/to Wood and Larkey and they had plenty of space around them.

Bruce has named Cunners as the one who has set the standard for the second half, and he has been immense, but I'd say Jed has been as good or better. Probably as good not better. BTW has anyone called Ben Cunnington the Linguist yet?
I love it ferbs!
Ben Cunnington = The Linguist

Bounce - Goldy to Cunners. Everyone runs away from him so he turns and boots it long to the CHF position. Puts it 3 feet above Turners head and Houstan takes a spekkie. Again if that was lower and a few metres shorter, to Turners advantage, then he's a good chance to mark it under pressure, on the 50. Cunners has been enormous this quarter and we've dominated the middle but he's had two poor kicks that could have been to our advantage.

Boundary throw in @ 9.35. Goldy wins the tap to Cunners. Hb to TT and then another cm perfect kick to Wood's advantage. Off the outside of the boot while running to the boundary and really should have been a mark to Wood. Turner would have marked that. If you're reading this and can watch a replay do so. If you don't respond by shaking your head in disbelief and saying "Get ******!!" then you haven't seen it properly.

Cunners again at a stoppage another kick to CHF and again Turner outmarked by Houston.

11.38ish left on the clock. Butters gathers the ball charges Macmillan and makes him a turnstile.

Worth comparing the way Jed tackles with Jmac's effort here I reckon Val Keating and anyone else... they get the ball forward Rozee good mark in front of goal. Converts. Two in a row.

Twice Cunners has kicked to CHF/turner and not put it to his advantage and it cost us shots on goal and a goal. To be fair they would have been good to a KPF but KT is only 6 foot just and pretty light.

So is the problem the kicking, the fact that Turner isn't big enough, the fact that other players should be where Turner is (whether he is in the team or not) or something else ...?

Butters gives a very soft free to LMac. (Prolly wasn't there imo but who knows what the rules are these days.) Doesn't matter, Jed gets the loose ball, Cunners-like handball to Jack who does Jacks thing instead of lowering his eyes and hitting Larkey in space a few metres outside 50 directly in front. the kick is long but about 5 m short of being to Brown's advantage. If that was TT instead of JZ that kick would probably have been over Larkey's right shoulder as he turned and ran to goal. He'd either have the shot, have it on the run or handball over the top to one of several loose players. Either way Port's defense would have been in disarray instead of really good.

And if Port's defense wasn't so good we may have had an opportunity anyway. But JZ should have lowered his eye and chose the option that was more likely to be a sure thing. He played to their strength instead of choosing an option that negated it.

I find JZ an enigma at times. Many would say he is poor under close pressure / congestion but some of his best moments (including this year) have been one on one high pressure contests where he has had to think very quickly on the run. I'm not sure how those two things marry up, he has had moments forward where even in supreme congestion he manages to choose amazing options and get things perfect.

Last edited:
So is the problem the kicking, the fact that Turner isn't big enough, the fact that other players should be where Turner is (whether he is in the team or not) or something else ...?

I think we needed a bigger body there but with Turner there better kicks would have done it. I dunno if you remember the spekkie Houston took. That could have been a better kick to advantage, it was the first of the two kicks I mentioned. It would have disadvantaged Duck standing where Turner was. The second one - Houston won the contest. Just a bit taller. He's two inches taller than Kanye. If that kick was a metre shorter it would have been to his advantage and he'd have probably marked it. But to be fair to Cunners I would have backed Turner to mark that or at least bring it to ground. Normally he does. You aren't gonna win every contest so maybe that one is just down to the flow of the game. There were two other contests following that mark - one where a Port player won it with great gutsy footy - he handballed it to Butters who spun thru Macmillan like Macmillan was nothing.

I actually did a gif of it and am trying to upload it. I want to compare one with a good Jed Anderson tackle and that one JY did against Geelong (maybe) last year. Macmillan's technique is s**t house.

I find JZ an enigma at times. Many would say he is poor under close pressure / congestion but some of his best moments (including this year) have been one on one high pressure contests where he has had to think very quickly on the run. I'm not sure how those two things marry up, he has had moments forward where even in supreme congestion he manages to choose amazing options and get things perfect.

That's a good point.

I actually think he's better under pressure than not under pressure. I just don't think he has that good a footy brain. Well not a creative one. He doesn't have the vision to open up play and see options the way TT does but to be fair not many do. Its fairly standard footy. A lot of people say he is a decade or two late and the game is going past him. That may be a fair call, at least in the midfield. I think he is still a potentially great forward if he can kick straight - last year he could have had 50 goals.

But having said that i thought he was okay in the midfield this game. Not great and he wasn't our best combination either (Jed and Cunners were by miles - when Higgo is back keep him out of the middle!!:oops:) but he did a reasonable job and was more than capable of holding his end up a few times.

I think when he was about 13 or 14 he saw the value of ripping the ball out of a contest and booting it long (and in country footy its a great idea) and probably imprinted that behaviour in his brain - it seems instinctive to me. In fact instinctively in packs is his best footy, and it has to be close enough to goal that just booting the ball forward isn't a good option cos he can be good at bringing other players into the game in the forward 50.

That's a good point.

I actually think he's better under pressure than not under pressure. I just don't think he has that good a footy brain. Well not a creative one. He doesn't have the vision to open up play and see options the way TT does but to be fair not many do. Its fairly standard footy. A lot of people say he is a decade or two late and the game is going past him. That may be a fair call, at least in the midfield. I think he is still a potentially great forward if he can kick straight - last year he could have had 50 goals.

But having said that i thought he was okay in the midfield this game. Not great and he wasn't our best combination either (Jed and Cunners were by miles - when Higgo is back keep him out of the middle!!:oops:) but he did a reasonable job and was more than capable of holding his end up a few times.

I think when he was about 13 or 14 he saw the value of ripping the ball out of a contest and booting it long (and in country footy its a great idea) and probably imprinted that behaviour in his brain - it seems instinctive to me. In fact instinctively in packs is his best footy, and it has to be close enough to goal that just booting the ball forward isn't a good option cos he can be good at bringing other players into the game in the forward 50.

He does have creativity at times though, I suspect he just doesn't have amazing spacial creativity. There was a contest early in the year running forward and he used his body, a hit to advantage and some smarts to win a contest for a shot on goal against a far faster player. It was very creative and worked well. Just need to hone those strengths, he's clearly come in underdone this year and the system isn't doing him too many favours either. Can clearly be a very good forward with accurate kicking.

Yeah that's probably a better way to put it.

If Daniel Wells / Cunnigton are at a 10 on spatial awareness on the field he's closer to 0 than 10. Can clearly read the game though. He does okay in the midfield at times because he does some of the blocking / bollocking work that few others do. I still rate what he can deliver in a good setup but he is never going to be that perfect polished performer - he needs a good system around him so he can be the brute force when required and the inspiration kick for goal that is needed. Tidy kicking this year and last would have him easily in the best form of his career IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back