Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts after being at a game as opposed to watching on TV.
The bad:
My 10 game North winning streak at Blundstone ended.:(
The ****head North supporter yelling at Thomas "Go back to North Launceston" - he's played 6 games ffs.:thumbsdown:
Our kicking inside 50 is a joke in general. But Jmac and Atley's efforts to kick to nobody under no pressure were momentum breakers.
Forwards don't help by being grouped together to often though.
Does Goldy actually ever win a clean centre tap to a players advantage?
Higgo disappointing, Wood, Garner invisible, Zurhaar had a shocker as well but he has a crack.
7 Sydney goals in the 2nd.:poo:
Would like to see 1 agile forward stay in front half for a 1v1 target if possible, continually see players stream off half back and wait for someone to kick to. They then are forced to stop and switch play - next thing pressure causes handball, handball, = turnover or ball up.
Any chance Atley can attend just 1 centre bounce to change it up?
Yeah umpires were s**t at times, but so were we for most of the game.
Almost forgot JMac aka finger pointer and turnstiles, oh man hes even worse Live
Oh LMac has gone backwards so much - played the game of his life here 2 years ago?
Food at ground barely warm :eek:

The good:
Jack was everywhere & played 90% game time. Taz stood up.
Liked Jed's game, Cunners too, surprised he only had 23. Continually wins the ball against 2 players.
Polec seems to be in the right places. Larkey persist with lots to work with there.
Good comeback made it interesting at least
Great breakfast at Richmond on the drive home today.

Last edited:
Agree with all about a lucky win papering over the cracks and prolonging the Scott era, so relaxed about the loss. Not so relaxed about us copping **** from umpires, MRP and the League. We should be publicly asking them defend that Marley decision. We should have appealed the Durdin verdict. We should have questioned why Ablett was playing in the Geelong match and why he was allowed to play this week. Need to stand up for ourselves more. We are the quivering jellyfishes of the comp - probably stems from Brad’s last foray on umps which ended in disaster if memory serves me ... had to apologize for implying they were corrupt or similar yeah? Gotta do it with some finesse.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Remember the game a few years ago when Hawthorn literally beat up on us. Jordan Lewis poleaxed Goldstein with a swinging fist to his face and Hodge turned around after a stoppage and king hit Swallow again with a fist to the face. Swallow naturally remonstrated and pushed back on Hodge which inconceivably led to him giving away a 50 metre penalty.

At the press conference after the game do you think Brad went in to bat for his captain and his players?
Nope, essentially he hung Spitta out to dry, reprimanding him publicly for setting a bad example via retaliating and giving a way a free kick. Essentially said that 'Hodgey' was a great guy and out of character.
That was the day Brad lost me. You knew that he put himself first before his players and the club. Somehow, we the supporters need to make ourselves heard and get the board to the get rid of this pretentious, clueless clown.

My thoughts after being at a game as opposed to watching on TV.
The bad:
My 10 game North winning streak at Blundstone ended.:(
The ****head North supporter yelling at Thomas "Go back to North Launceston" - he's played 6 games ffs.:thumbsdown:
Our kicking inside 50 is a joke in general. But Jmac and Atley's efforts to kick to nobody under no pressure were momentum breakers.
Forwards don't help by being grouped together to often though.
Does Goldy actually ever win a clean centre tap to a players advantage?
Higgo disappointing, Wood, Garner invisible, Zurhaar had a shocker as well but he has a crack.
7 Sydney goals in the 2nd.:poo:
Would like to see 1 agile forward stay in front half for a 1v1 target if possible, continually see players stream off half back and wait for someone to kick to. They then are forced to stop and switch play - next thing pressure causes handball, handball, = turnover or ball up.
Any chance Atley can attend just 1 centre bounce to change it up?
Yeah umpires were **** at times, but so were we for most of the game.
Almost forgot JMac aka finger pointer and turnstiles, oh man hes even worse Live
Oh LMac has gone backwards so much - played the game of his life here 2 years ago?
Food at ground barely warm :eek:

The good:
Jack was everywhere & played 90% game time. Taz stood up.
Liked Jed's game, Cunners too, surprised he only had 23. Continually wins the ball against 2 players.
Polec seems to be in the right places. Larkey persist with lots to work with there.
Good comeback made it interesting at least
Great breakfast at Richmond on the drive home today.
Would you consider slipping Simpkin into your 'Good' list?

Look at where the umpire is positioned. The hold was directly in front of his eyes.
89655ea6361072949be25cc363f173cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I can't complain about Shaw. He has held the backline together fairly well all things considered.
Jury's out on Shaw for sure, and he comes well credentialed. But the backline is by far the biggest concern in the list profile. If people are complaining that we're losing with an old and experienced team, it's almost all concentrated in the back 6. Starters on Saturday were Tarrant (30), Thomspon (33), Macmillan (27), Pittard (28), Atley (26), Williams (25), with McDonald (24) coming off the bench.

By contrast the forward line as named was Brown (26), Ziebell (28), Garner (25), Wood (25), Turner (23), Larkey (20), with Zurhaar (20) and Thomas (19) coming off the bench. Of the 25-and-over group, only Brown is really integral to the setup (I'd love to include Garner in that, but let him get some continuity first). If Wood, Ziebell and Turner were replaced by Watson, Ahern and LDU next week the forward line wouldn't suffer much if at all for quality or structure. And of course there's Walker to add to the mix. You can't say that at all for the backs. Take out 3 of the 4 oldest defenders for McKay, Durdin and say, Murphy, and there would be real short-term pain. Of course the fact that guys in their 4th and 5th year on the list aren't considered 'ready' is a huge ******* indictment on the match committee.

Age profile of the midfield isn't too bad apart from that gap in the 22-25 age bracket. The old mids are still good enough and the young ones talented enough that you don't have to panic filling that gap as that cohort approaches free agency.

I couldn't bring myself to watch any footy after this game or to even log onto Bigfooty - but FFS, how could anybody lose to THAT Sydney team anywhere, let alone at a ground where we are supposed to have a distinct advantage? I mean really, this was possibly the worst loss this season, even inclusive of the Freo and Good Friday disasters, given the opposition injuries before and during the game. That second quarter was absolute garbage. And even the last quarter, when Sydney couldn't run or touch the footy, we still butchered it by playing absolute crap brand of football. I just can't find appropriate words to describe this game, and analyzing it in-depth is absolutely pointless.

It was funny hearing JB say that Brad Scott, who is normally known for changing things mid match if things aren't working, is struggling to come up with the answers tonight, or something along these lines. JB is a comedian.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is an overall summary of how often your players were starting as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Polec 23 wing
Cunnington 20
Dumont 20 (13w, 7i)
Higgins 20 (17w, 3i) - Clarke 11
Ziebell 18
Anderson 15
Simpkin 5
Thomas 4 (3w, 1i)

Rucks:
Goldstein 23
Larkey 2

1st Half - 15

Polec 13 wing
Dumont 13 wing
Cunnington 12
Ziebell 12
Higgins 11 (2w)
Anderson 8
Simpkin 4
Thomas 2 wing

Goldstein 13
Larkey 2

2nd Half - 10

Polec 10 wing
Higgins 9 wing
Cunnington 8
Dumont 7
Anderson 7
Ziebell 6
Thomas 2 (1w, 1i)
Simpkin 1

Goldstein 10

Notes:
- Most midfield appearances for Thomas in an analysed games - one of his wing starts you were trying something different as he started off the back of the square, before picking up his wing opponent. Technically Marley Williams was the winger for the bounce. This was the first time I've seen you utilise that structure and it was the only time it was used in the game - Essendon is the only team that regular uses it this season.
- Most inside starts for Simpkin this season in analysed games
- Dumont's first inside start in analysed games since Rd 3

Jury's out on Shaw for sure, and he comes well credentialed. But the backline is by far the biggest concern in the list profile. If people are complaining that we're losing with an old and experienced team, it's almost all concentrated in the back 6. Starters on Saturday were Tarrant (30), Thomspon (33), Macmillan (27), Pittard (28), Atley (26), Williams (25), with McDonald (24) coming off the bench.

Age demographics for defenders & midfielders are not the same mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, there was one stat that popped up during the third quarter that said Jy had the second most contested possessions on the ground at that point, one more than Cunnington, too. Amazing if so, given the few midfield starts he had.
Jy was just about the only positive of that match, but as it turns out, his miss also cost us the draw in the end...:oops:

Maybe so, but the fact we effectively have NO first-choice defenders under 25 is messed up.

Vickers-Willis is ready to go if he can get some luck, McKay and Joel Crocker will be good, trust me on that.

Durdin also needs a solid run before I draw a line through him.

Macmillan (27), Pittard (28), Atley (26), Williams (25), with McDonald (24) all have 50-150 games of footy left in them, although we will have to start looking at some development flanker/pocket types with our 2nd round picks now.

Atley's resilience could see him play another 150 games.

Vickers-Willis is ready to go if he can get some luck, McKay and Joel Crocker will be good, trust me on that.

Macmillan (27), Pittard (28), Atley (26), Williams (25), with McDonald (24) all have 50-150 games of footy left in them, although we will have to start looking at some development flanker/pocket types with our 2nd round picks now.

Yeah - good discussion.

I agree that its a shame we haven't had more games into our younger Defenders but its a stretch to say its a big worry.

EVW would be playing and BMac is clearly a player they want playing if fit - pneumonia all year is a disaster for BMac

Though unproven - Murphy and Watson are doing good things and are next up for a string of games.

Small backs may be an issue but fingers crossed Turner goes back!

I would add Daw with only 50 games and power athelete as someone who probably has 100+ games in him as well

The biggest issue is the Boss wants to play out of form players rather than give these guys a run at it.

Note: you can't just replace a Taz or a Thomo.

You cant be serious about Wood - do you mean Mason Wood or is the another in the team going under a different name. Mason needs a LONG spell in the VFL to capture any form he may still have

He has had a good month, almost excellent.

Had two very nice moments in the 2 mins, good tap-on and then great tackle in the forward pocket. He didn't have a preseason and is building nicely.

He is being instructed to suck up to the ball, he is being instructed to get in his bike.

He should be played on the wing.

Can't blame the umps for that. Goldy might've been held but in reality we should've been ahead by that point anyway. Had all the play, but kept shooting ourselves in the foot by kicking it to contests in which we were outnumbered and missing easy shots. (*cough cough Jy Simpkin what the **** was that you pissweak flog. Ever heard of a drop punt?*) We deserved to win today, and should've won regardless of how **** the umpiring was. Swans completely caved in in those last ten minutes. That being said, it was nice not to be on the receiving end of a huge comeback for once. Good effort boys, hopefully we carry through this determination and effort to next week.

Simpkin would have missed the shot, regardless of whether he dribbled or used a drop punt. He’s too one-footed.

Had two very nice moments in the 2 mins, good tap-on and then great tackle in the forward pocket. He didn't have a preseason and is building nicely.

He is being instructed to suck up to the ball, he is being instructed to get in his bike.

Is that you Brad ????????????????

Mase had one calf injury in the pre-season. Was training before it and played both the JLT matches. People love making excuses for this bloke.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned which I strongly believe did nothing to help our case against the Swans was Thommo’s mind-bogglingly stupid over-emphasis on targeting a 19 year-old raw recruit. It, basically, brought Blakey front and centre into the game when we should have been focussing elsewhere. Barnaby Joyce’s comments on Get Up would be better directed at Thommo. To make matters worse, the nineteen year old won the battle - how excruciatingly embarrassing for us! We never seem to be able to get that side of our game right.

Had a good month, but off the boil the last couple of weeks. Is capable of more. Has shown that he can sustain useful contributions. Not a write-off, not an automatic selection. Happy for him to make way for another option this week.

It's more about the vibe than justifying individual selections. I'm not particularly death-riding any one of the incumbents, but they have thrown away chances to expose the next group to more senior footy over the last couple of years.

Our severe lack of onfield smarts and any feel for the game has hurt us on so many occasions.
When Reid went deep into our 50 Thompson or Tarrant or Wood should have gone with him. The difference between Scott and Longmire is that Allir followed his man forward last year and kicked the match winner. Ours stayed where Brad instructs them to.
Instincts. It’s all instincts.

Would have thrown Tarrant forward in the last play. Simpson throws McGovern forward why doesn’t Brad do the same with one of our talls?
Instincts.

There lots be be critical of, but didnt Taz drift forward and kick an important goal? That couldve eaily been that goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back