Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Note: you can't just replace a Taz or a Thomo.

Hey, tell that to the youth zealots mate.:thumbsu:

Sides like the Bulldogs would break their necks to have either one of them, much less both.

I had Brad saying “as soon as they did what I wanted them to things were better” on my bingo card.

He might back the players at selection but he doesn’t mind throwing them under the bus in review if it helps him look better. I’d much prefer he did it the other way around - keep responsibility as a collective thing in front of the media and respond to players going against coaching instructions (if that’s happened) at training and by dropping them.

I had Brad saying “as soon as they did what I wanted them to things were better” on my bingo card.

He might back the players at selection but he doesn’t mind throwing them under the bus in review if it helps him look better. I’d much prefer he did it the other way around - keep responsibility as a collective thing in front of the media and respond to players going against coaching instructions (if that’s happened) at training and by dropping them.

Yeah, it is getting quite bad.

As if the players don't read/hear this stuff and know exactly what he's doing.

Apart from our putrid coach and game plan, if you replaced McDonald, Turner and Macmillan with Hall, LDU and Ahern we win that game by 6 goals ... and don’t get me started about Thompson who should make way for Durdin next week. I can only think we are tanking

sorry but hall is no better replacement for macmillan, can't tackle and just bombs it to no one. he breaks the lines once or twice a game but it's all undone when he has to get a hardball one-on-one and loses time and time again.

you're also replacing 2 defenders and a forward with 1 winger and 2 inside mids, ridiculous.

Yeah that's pissweak.

There lots be be critical of, but didnt Taz drift forward and kick an important goal? That couldve eaily been that goal
It was after Polecs goal that Reid wandered back and was left loose. He should have been manned up.

sorry but hall is no better replacement for macmillan, can't tackle and just bombs it to no one. he breaks the lines once or twice a game but it's all undone when he has to get a hardball one-on-one and loses time and time again.

you're also replacing 2 defenders and a forward with 1 winger and 2 inside mids, ridiculous.
Hall/Ahern couldn’t be worse across half back than Macmillan/McDonald so I want to see it tried. Those 2 + LDU & Ziebell can all rotate forward and mid as well

Kingy's on the ball. Listen from approx. 23.10 to the 26 minute mark.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=374242
This is worth a listen.
Kings knows. He’s knows when someone’s out of their depth and Brads comment about funnily enough when we adjusted to the conditions is a bunch of bullshit and is throwing the players under the bus.

******* move the ball on quick, lower the eyes and get forward isolation.
He plays a loose man in defence because he picks midfielders as defenders. That’s his issue.
And the players efficiency inside 50 is abysmal due to overusage.

It’s actually a shitstorm.

Most midfield appearances for Thomas in an analysed games - one of his wing starts you were trying something different as he started off the back of the square, before picking up his wing opponent. Technically Marley Williams was the winger for the bounce. This was the first time I've seen you utilise that structure and it was the only time it was used in the game - Essendon is the only team that regular uses it this season.
Appreciate the info.

Can you clarify something for me?

If Williams is anchored in D50 arc at the centre bounce, how can he "technically" be the wingman?

If my interpretation is correct, isn't Thomas playing as a surrogate loose half back and we haven't got a traditional wingman on his side of the ground.

To me it reads as more 7 man defence from our coaching department.

Last edited:
Appreciate the info.

Can you clarify something for me?

If Williams is anchored in D50 arc at the centre bounce, how can he "technically" be the wingman?

If my interpretation is correct, isn't Thomas playing as a surrogate loose half back and we haven't got a traditional wingman on his side of the ground.

To me it reads as more 7 man defence from our coaching department.
Sorry I didn't explain that properly.

Last season, basically every side started an extra behind the ball at bounces (the most common method was the 6th forward which North used - from memory Simpkin was often in the role), who would sprint into the middle and try and impact the contest before continuing to sprint to the forward line. Some teams preferred the more convoluted set-up of starting one or both wings behind the ball, temporarily manning the opposition wings with forwards and only starting with 3-4 forwards in the F50.

This season you obviously can't start a 7th in your D, so almost all clubs are just using the normal set-up with the wings starting where they should be, some clubs (specifically Essendon) like the benefits of a mid sprinting into the contest and try to make things work under the new rules - the 6th back has to be displaced and they temporarily fill the wing spot instead.

Here is how the set-up works:

- The 2nd wing starts off the back of the square, sprints through the contest hoping to make an impact. Afterwards they try to find their opponent (a now spare wing) as quickly as possible and resume playing like any normal winger, they don't stay in the backline as an extra loose defender.
- As you have to have a wing, a back (usually the quickest small) starts on the wing - usually at least 10m towards your D50 if not as close to your D50 as possible whilst still being on the wing line, once the ball bounces they ignore the midfield contest and sprint into the D50 to pick up the now spare forward
- Some teams (read Essendon) like to convolute things further by having a forward sprint to man the free wing, hopefully limiting the chances of being exploited by the free wing before their 2nd wing can man them up.

So when I say Williams was technically the wing for that bounce, I mean he was the displaced back in this scenario who had to be on the wing to comply with the rules, before Thomas and he effectively exchanged opponents post-bounce.

When it works it looks great, but there are lots of moving parts and large flaws that can be exploited, which is why only 1 side in the AFL uses it on a regular basis, and North (at least from the games I've analysed) are only the 4th or 5th team to even try it once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

/snip

When it works it looks great, but there are lots of moving parts and large flaws that can be exploited, which is why only 1 side in the AFL uses it on a regular basis, and North (at least from the games I've analysed) are only the 4th or 5th team to even try it once.
Excellent posting and thanks for the clarification.

Your use of the word convoluted in describing the mechanics of the play had me chuckling and nodding along in agreement.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned which I strongly believe did nothing to help our case against the Swans was Thommo’s mind-bogglingly stupid over-emphasis on targeting a 19 year-old raw recruit. It, basically, brought Blakey front and centre into the game when we should have been focussing elsewhere. Barnaby Joyce’s comments on Get Up would be better directed at Thommo. To make matters worse, the nineteen year old won the battle - how excruciatingly embarrassing for us! We never seem to be able to get that side of our game right.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didnt mind this, I was yelling at him to get into him from the stands.

Sydney has kicked 44 points in the second quarter, and 33 points for the other 3 quarters. Just trying to process that is hard.

To take that further, they kicked 38 points in 20 minutes. During that time, we scored absolutely zilch.

39 for the other three quarters and 10 minutes.

Another close loss for us under Bard.
Really can’t get it done under pressure.

Ppl saying McDonald and McMillan are better defenders than Ahern / hall have to first watch them defend then watch them turn the ball over.
Imagine Ahern / hall with the space with ball in hand - would rip it apart most times.

Another close loss for us under Bard.
Really can’t get it done under pressure.

Ppl saying McDonald and McMillan are better defenders than Ahern / hall have to first watch them defend then watch them turn the ball over.
Imagine Ahern / hall with the space with ball in hand - would rip it apart most times.

Ahern maybe Hall not so much

sorry but hall is no better replacement for macmillan, can't tackle....

To be fair, he was leading the tackle count for us when he was dropped. Still sits 4th in average tackles per game, ahead of the likes of Cunners and Kanye. I'm not making a case for him playing off a HBF, but to say he doesn't tackle is wrong. It's a myth that he didn't tackle at the Suns either, but at the same time he appears to have worked to improve that side of his game since coming to North. (The stats attest to that, also.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back