Autopsy vs WBD - Rd 21

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in the "not sure what to do with Waite next year" camp, possibly the next 2 weeks and how he performs might dictate my opinion a little, but that 10m kick back to the man on the mark on Sunday, from a score creating position was absolutely abysmal. Sitting just 10m away from it didn't help either.

Surely now we make some changes

Playing finals would be the absolute worst possible scenario from here.

Just putting our rebuild further and further back. We can't afford to keep taking middling picks.

Just got slaughtered on the spread, in uncontested possessions

They move so fast because we couldn't pressure anyone and as a result they had open players in the forward line
What I thought would happen did happen which is their fleet of foot forward line with no real big forward target killed our clunky big defenders

Just awful

Surely surely we have to do something with our mid backs. I’d hate to know how many goals Mcmillan, Wright & Mcdonald have had kicked on them this year.

We can’t have guys who can’t defend playing in the backline it’s as simple as that.

Surely we’d be better served by playing a genuinely quick & competitive defender in Nielson.

McDonald and MacMillan should be on the trade table. As long as guys like that are clogging up game time then we are going no where.

Turner offers nothing as a small forward and Simpkin offers nothing as a midfielder. How many young kids development are we going to destroy?

Every other coach who was under the pump has done something but this guy is just pathetic. How don’t you make any changes at all piss off please .
images

The worst about throwing that game is they all butchered it, the coaches & the players. Who the * is going to hold them accountable? How many times have they let us down?

If you asked me at the start of the year what the worst possible result would be this year, I would’ve said finishing just outside the 8.

I wonder when the club is having their exit interviews because there needs to be some change.

It’s like at the start of the year when everyone said North were s**t the players got a chip on their shoulder and played some of the most honest football I’ve seen this club produce for years, then the narrative changes to, gees North have been good this year, well done, I know it seems crazy but there’s a direct drop off in form after they started to get a patronising pat on the back. It’s like subconsciously they thought, we’ve done enough now and the hunger dried up. Now they’re just happy to play football. I wonder how many of them genuinely play to win a premiership.

It’s like at the start of the year when everyone said North were s**t the players got a chip on their shoulder and played some of the most honest football I’ve seen this club produce for years, then the narrative changes to, gees North have been good this year, well done, I know it seems crazy but there’s a direct drop off in form after they started to get a patronising pat on the back. It’s like subconsciously they thought, we’ve done enough now and the hunger dried up. Now they’re just happy to play football. I wonder how many of them genuinely play to win a premiership.
Absolutely. Very good analysis and just proves we don't have the killer instinct.

We need this bloke on the coaching staff..

86645bee78820306190bc9edfa5126cc-bpfull.png

Keep dreaming. He is a solid player but should never get anywhere near 40 possessions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
All I hear from you people on here is the only skilled player on you're list is Higgins. Every knowledgeable footy person knows the strength and weakness of Daniel are skill and height. Just because he played against you're side just recently doesn't make it right to say he has an average skill set.

All I hear from you people on here is the only skilled player on you're list is Higgins. Every knowledgeable footy person knows the strength and weakness of Daniel are skill and height. Just because he played against you're side just recently doesn't make it right to say he has an average skill set.

Jeez, man, why are you even here? It would be plain to Moses that all that is going on here is a general rant after a very disappointing loss. It’s what happens on the internet. It’s in our thread! If it was on the main board, I’d understand.,,

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any chance you can explain some of the stats in an upcoming post?

The general public get the generic ones, but what are important to the club?

And wtf determines disposal efficiency? From the cheap seats it appears to be the biggest bullshit stat of all time.

To be honest I wouldn't know what's important to the club now because it evolves so often, and I've been out for almost 12 months now. I'm guessing when I say this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's even changed a couple of times during this season as teams try different things.

Disposal efficiency is a bit of a wank sometimes - basically anything 40 metres or less which goes to a teammate is considered effective, which is fair enough. But anything over 40 metres which isn't a direct turnover is also considered effective. So if you bomb it long and it gets spoiled out of bounds ... well it's not classified a direct turnover, so...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cue the condescending, you're too simple to understand insinuations
You rang?

Agreed, DE% isn't a great stat. But it's more useful in some contexts than others. "Hibberd went at 83% today in the ressies" doesn't tell you much. Tiny sample size. "Clarke at 70% for the season in his role and CP% isn't great" is a true thing to say and it's reasonable to infer from his DE% at 230 disposals that he needs to do better.

You rang?

Agreed, DE% isn't a great stat. But it's more useful in some contexts than others. "Hibberd went at 83% today in the ressies" doesn't tell you much. Tiny sample size. "Clarke at 70% for the season in his role and CP% isn't great" is a true thing to say and it's reasonable to infer from his DE% at 230 disposals that he needs to do better.

Like you say, RZ, "more useful in some contexts than others". While I'm by no means any kind of DE% acolyte, even taking into account the small sample size, it's my opinion that the disposal nuances that the stat is unable to accommodate aren't so significant that they completely render the stat invalid on a single game basis. No argument that CP% is an integral part of the equation re providing context, but given there's usually a certain implicit knowledge of someone's role at play, the first statement can still give you a ballpark sense of how someone went around. Particularly when coupled with their total no. of possessions for the game, and - as you said - especially so if combined with the context of a statement like the second one. (Meaning if someone averaging 70% for the season goes around at 83% in a game where they racked up, say, 15-ish+ possessions, you can reasonably contend that they had a pretty decent day - at least, by their standards - on the disposal front.)

The thing I find ridiculous is the bullshit inconsistency with which it's applied by some posters. They're happy to point to it the moment a player who cops crap for their disposal registers a low DE%, with no context or extenuating circumstances given. But the minute a healthy DE% runs counter to someone's take on a game, or their opinion of a player, the caveats get shouted from the rooftops.

Excellent summation.

Sums up almost every year under this hierarchy.
  • "They" rate us as s**t
  • We do better than expected
  • "They" start rating us
  • We go to s**t
  • Are we in contention?
    • YES: Stay s**t
    • NO: Have a late meaningless form spike
  • Rinse and repeat

Excellent summation.

Sums up almost every year under this hierarchy.
  • "They" rate us as s**t
  • We do better than expected
  • "They" start rating us
  • We go to s**t
  • Are we in contention?
    • YES: Stay s**t
    • NO: Have a late meaningless form spike
  • Rinse and repeat
Relevant in 2018, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012. Amazing really. Weve been consistently inconsistent.

On reflection, I'd rather follow the team that slipped up for a quarter to take the gloss off a really positive year than the team that took a quarter to show what an underperforming pile of garbage their season has been, again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back