Autopsy vs WBD - Rd 21

Remove this Banner Ad

He did, but it’s obvious he’s aware that he was about to receive contact and he made winning the contest his secondary priority.

He's definitely not soft tho.

Maybe he felt he was gonna be taken out anyway and maintaining his feet at a potential outnumber was more important. Or maybe he went to bump and remembered he couldn't do that any more. Its certainly unusual for him.

Like you say, RZ, "more useful in some contexts than others". While I'm by no means any kind of DE% acolyte, even taking into account the small sample size, it's my opinion that the disposal nuances that the stat is unable to accommodate aren't so significant that they completely render the stat invalid on a single game basis. No argument that CP% is an integral part of the equation re providing context, but given there's usually a certain implicit knowledge of someone's role at play, the first statement can still give you a ballpark sense of how someone went around. Particularly when coupled with their total no. of possessions for the game, and - as you said - especially so if combined with the context of a statement like the second one. (Meaning if someone averaging 70% for the season goes around at 83% in a game where they racked up, say, 15-ish+ possessions, you can reasonably contend that they had a pretty decent day - at least, by their standards - on the disposal front.)

The thing I find ridiculous is the bullshit inconsistency with which it's applied by some posters. They're happy to point to it the moment a player who cops crap for their disposal registers a low DE%, with no context or extenuating circumstances given. But the minute a healthy DE% runs counter to someone's take on a game, or their opinion of a player, the caveats get shouted from the rooftops.

I can almost see you pounding the table with frustration as you moved from the first paragraph to the second, TOD!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's definitely not soft tho.

Maybe he felt he was gonna be taken out anyway and maintaining his feet at a potential outnumber was more important. Or maybe he went to bump and remembered he couldn't do that any more. Its certainly unusual for him.

He’s not soft but it was a bad moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back