Autopsy vs Western Bulldogs - end of an era - Rd 10, 2019

A couple of observations of the game.

Nick Larkey works his arse off. During the first half when he was struggling to find the ball, he chased, tackled and pressured very well for a KP player. I am surprised with his mobility and i love his courage to attack the ball. His defensive efforts worked him into the game and he played a significant second half but it was his desire without the ball that impresses me.

Atley is having his best year, rarely fumbles, strong in the contest, keeps his feet and is calm. Im loving his year, he has been a rock during this crap first half of the year. His body work is first class and his disposal clean. Top 3 in BnF for mine.

LMac was very good. I am a strong critic of his but he looked composed and in control. He didn't seem rushed and his disposal benefited. That's the boy I saw at Junior level. Keep that going Luke and you will be a star after all.

Tarryn Thomas has it all. I am going to look forward to watching him play for many years. His awareness is off the charts. Actually reminds me of Stevie J in some ways.

A final word for the coach. Scott was class today and he has bowed out like he said he would if the time came. I have never doubted his love for the club and players so I am glad he got the love and acknowledgment he received at the end.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The players appear to genuinely like him. But is that the main objective of the senior coach? That’s the job for the masseuse or the volunteer cooking lunch.

I’d be curious to know how many really successful coaches were liked by their players during their careers. No doubt they respect them and possibly liked them after the fact given they achieved.
I have always got the impression that Hawthorn players, retired or still playing, have a genuine love and affection for Clarko.
Personally I'd find it pretty difficult to spend time with someone who likes to pull out the guitar and sing some 70s MOR ballads, but maybe that's part of the charm for them.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very unlucky to only receive twice as many frees as we did. Umps clearly out to get them.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So much this. In all my years of going to the football I have never experienced the level of umpire whinging that i did in the first half yesterday. After two groups of their supporters agreed that the umpires were killing them and they were discussing an AFL instigated conspiracy I pointed out that the free kick count was 6-1 in their favour. They went real quiet for about 30 seconds, until some Dog ducked into a tackle and didn't get a free.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Actually funny you mention last week. I actually got the shits up watching first time this year. Like really ******* shitty. It was almost like “ok, this has gone too far now....do something. It’s meandering into oblivion.”

I went with three who probably won’t go with me again such was my verbal annoyance

Embarrassment aside, 7 days on everything I uttered has come true..Buckley get some gall...Scotts gone...and a playing group who had seemingly lost the will to win who found the will to win for all the wrong reason yesterday

During the week I felt little desire to go to the game. But once the news broke out on Friday night, both my sons and I really wanted to get to the game and I’m sure glad we did. Felt like it was a moment in club’s history we will remember for a long time.

I’m happy everything was handled with class. The way Buckley and the club found the balls to make the decision, the way Brad accepted it and the way he handled himself on match day, the way the players responded with the win, and the way the supporters cheered him off. Surreal really.

It was ironic, I thought, that we nearly lost the game in the manner that marred Brad’s entire tenure. Classic North fade out, but the fact we managed to get out of it was certainly appropriate for the occasion.

I disagree with those who think a mid season departure is messy and unnecessary. I think it was the best way to do it.

Thank you Brad the bloke. But Brad the coach is a long way behind Brad the image maker and Brad the salesman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With good reason. Violent misogynistic assholes have no place at north no matter who they are

Yeah not quite the point. Brad Scott cannot effectively criticise Wayne Carey for never coming down to help out when Brad Scott has barred Wayne Carey from coming down to help out. It's the very definition of disingenuous.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yeah not quite the point. Brad Scott cannot effectively criticise Wayne Carey for never coming down to help out when Brad Scott has barred Wayne Carey from coming down to help out. It's the very definition of disingenuous.

He stuffed up years ago (2013?) when he took liberties with Carey-Stevens scenario to score points for himself.

So much this. In all my years of going to the football I have never experienced the level of umpire whinging that i did in the first half yesterday. After two groups of their supporters agreed that the umpires were killing them and they were discussing an AFL instigated conspiracy I pointed out that the free kick count was 6-1 in their favour. They went real quiet for about 30 seconds, until some Dog ducked into a tackle and didn't get a free.

This is the thing, the umpires DIDN'T pay the typical ducking frees the Dogs are used to. Toby McLean went for two or three that would have been paid even last year, but nup, bad luck ducker cheat.

And then they had the gall to boo Browny - when the frees Trengove gave away were sooooo obvious.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
This is the thing, the umpires DIDN'T pay the typical ducking frees the Dogs are used to. Toby McLean went for two or three that would have been paid even last year, but nup, bad luck ducker cheat.

And then they had the gall to boo Browny - when the frees Trengove gave away were sooooo obvious.
Yeah... Trengove was struggling and resorted to tackling him.

Yeah... Trengove was struggling and resorted to tackling him.

Trengove is struggling in general with life I reckon.

Does he have nobody in his life who can tell him that "look" was barely acceptable in South Australia?

What, short sides and a beard? Far, far worse looks going around than that

Osama Bin Laden also had a short backer and beard.

Trengove looks like a moron.

Steele7

Club Legend
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Grassy Hawks
They showed how they can play. Games into Zurhaar Thomas, Larkey is going to benefit us next year. Gee Thomas has talent. Brad’s behaviour towards Kingy has left a bit of a bad taste with me.

On ABC radio I think it was Ramanauskas who quipped that McLean must be hating the way ducking into tackles is interpreted these days.

On ABC radio I think it was Ramanauskas who quipped that McLean must be hating the way ducking into tackles is interpreted these days.

Yep, was really obvious yesterday how much they are coached to play that way - it is literally one of their stoppage/contested situation team tactics.

And not working anymore.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, was really obvious yesterday how much they are coached to play that way - it is literally one of their stoppage/contested situation team tactics.

And not working anymore.
#aflconspiracy

NinjaTurtle39

Debutant
Aug 19, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can someone pin point exactly when Atley became not s**t?

It seems like he's finally got the balance of taking the game on or laying back and playing percentage footy. His decision making has been for the most part very good this season

Great pick-up. I turned to my uncle with your exact same observation. Absolutely blew my stack at how stupid our players were there. What was it? Four players all following the one player to the boundary. I was livid.
U10s stuff

Goldsteins 1st half was one of the best I’ve have seen a ruckman play if ever.
Also from 10 mins onwards in the last quarter he helped turn the tide.
Absolutely destroyed English.

He was marking, spreading and collecting clearances at will - even delivering inside 50.
That should be the bare minimum of effort and I hope there’s more left in the tank.

The booing of Brown was just pathetic and speaks volumes about what a s**t club they are. Lead the freekick count 17-9 and still went home sooking.

The free kick paid against Jed for contact below the knees is the reason why this game is a soft over umpired shitstorm.
It was courageous, brave and showed a tenacity required to succeed at this level.
Disgraceful call and needs an overhaul.

The best thing about leading by 32 points and conceding the lead was watching the dogs fans get up and about only then to relinquish the lead and get run over the top. * the dogs

Back